Does yoga have pagan Origin and demonic roots?

John Lindell, pastor of James River Church in Ozark, in his sermon delivered last month, asked his followers to stay away from yoga since yoga has demonic roots and pagan origin which are diametrically opposite to Christianity.
Does yoga have pagan Origin and demonic roots?

1 Like

Yoga is practiced to get benefit physically, mentally and spiritually. Do it, experience it and then decide what you want to do.

1 Like

Some Christians fear anything that is not explicitly in the Bible. Some yogis can get into some pretty weird stuff bur most of us here are about health and wellness.

2 Likes

The truth is always perceived as a threat by those who fear it. And especially by those who cannot profit from it. True spiritual enlightenment is internal and cannot be manipulated or controlled by others whose existence depends on control and manipulation.

3 Likes

Yoga undoubtedly was begun by non-Christian people and was and still is spiritual in nature. However, enlightenment in the spirit was the goal from the beginning and I think that this enlightenment is scary to leaders in any organized religion because the truth might not be what they are leading you to believe. I am a deeply devoted Christian and have struggled with yoga's origin myself. However, in my struggle to seek the truth, practicing yoga has strengthened my relationship with God and I am seeing spirituality and life on earth differently in a good way. So is it bad or unchristian to practice yoga? I think it is not.

3 Likes

When you are still if breath and thought you experience God, Jesus said to practice kundalini and we will be upon this world over and over until we open our 7 chakras then we will have true contact with the one true father, no matter who you wish to call him God, Allah, (sorry I don't know many more) he is them all combined, Jesus was to have said take thy yoke which is yoga and satin is our bodies.... Look for hidden teachings of Jesus on YouTube makes sense

3 Likes

Hello, i'm a new person here, i'm glad to share with you about Ashtanga Yoga ? Click the link below and read to know more : https://www.pointsprizes.com/blg/15118582/580/what-is-ashtanga-yoga-ashtanga-primary-series-poses

1 Like

It seems to me that yoga is primarily a cleansing of the spirit and it is wrong to believe that it has a negative origin.

2 Likes

If one does a Bible search on words like “Listen”, “watch”, and “wait” we get a lot of responses along the lines of attending with patience. If we want to apply them to our own lives I think it takes us the same direction as meditation. They may not be talking about a sitting mindfulness practice but they do point to a mindful or vigilant lifestyle.

Here are just a few examples:

Open attention
1 Samuel 3:9 Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down. And it will be, if He calls you, that you will say, ‘Speak, Lord, for Your servant listens.’ ”

Or being watchful

Psalm 5:3 O Lord, in the morning You will hear my voice; in the morning I will direct my prayer to You, and I will watch expectantly.

Matthew 26:38 Then He said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Wait here, and keep watch with Me.”

How else would we apply that to us today?

Waiting patiently
Psalm 37:7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;
Psalm 59:9 O my strength, I will wait on You; for God is my refuge.
Psalm 62:5 My soul, wait silently for God, for my hope is from Him.
Lamentations 3:25 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.

We tend to read these as waiting for political or personal rescue. But perhaps the author had something more in mind.

What do you think?

Proverbs 4:23
Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.

The key difference, it seems to me, is that something like Buddhist “Mindfulness” is done without judgement while Christian “Vigilance” is an exercise of judging good and evil within. Otherwise, I think we have a common theme.

1 Like

Sure. Great understanding.

Karen, i definitely agree with you! I am also a Christian and I view my yoga practice as integral to my walk with God. Yoga gives me an opportunity to be still and focused mentally and emphasizes the importance of meditation. I feel like these are portions of the Christian life that Christians ignore. We are specifically told to "be still, and know that I am God" and "whatever is pure, lovely and of good report, meditate on these things." In my opinion, yoga is not a thing to be feared but embraced and utilized to deepen our knowledge of God and of ourselves.

2 Likes

This is what most modern Protestant Christians, &/ BiblicalChristians do not understand, and literally have no concept of. the 'kingdom of source' within which Yeshua directed people to, goes deeper and deeper dimensionally within. this is what thousands have spoken 8 millenniums. yet the Protestant has animosity, simply because does not do what 'Jesus' invited to which is to go within into the kingdom of God wherein lies their spirit and the source of it which is made in the living image!! {feel free to reproduce this document in any form or version, no credit needed }

This is what most modern Protestant Christians &/BiblicalChristians do not understand, and literally have no concept of the 'kingdom of source' within which Yeshua directed people to, goes deeper and deeper dimensionally within. this is what thousands have spoken 8 millenniums. yet the Protestant has animosity, simply because does not do what 'Jesus' invited to which is to go within into the kingdom of God wherein lies their spirit and the source of it which is made & lives in the living image!! {feel free to reproduce this document in any form or version, no credit needed } 112711

THE KINGDOM OF SOURCE WITHIN HAS DEEPENING DIMENSIONALITY