Dvd recommendations?

hello.

I’m new here and i don’t know where to start. I’d like to try yoga but have no idea what type - i suppose something basic that could develop into something more challenging would be good.

Are instructional dvd’s worth a look? and could anyone recommend one or two?

thanks.

what i’ve always done is check out amazon and search up yoga dvd’s and just read user reviews. they usually lead to finding many good dvd’s i wouldnt normally have purchased.

I love Yoga DVD’s! I use them all the time. My favorites are Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea and Yoga for Beauty: Dawn/Dusk by Rainbeau Mars.

Both of these DVD’s are probably more Advanced Beginner/Intermediate. If you are new to Yoga, I know that Rainbeau Mars has a beginner DVD, though I’ve never tried it, I would still recommend it because she is a very good instructor.

There are many DVD?s on the market these days ranging from Restorative to Power yoga, all of them offering a different message and focus. Rodney Yee has several that I know are good. Eoin Finn from Vancouver BC has two power yoga DVD?s on the market that I believe you can get online both of which are fun and invigorating.

Also if you are looking for a short sequence of postures that incorporate stretching and strengthen you could look into the well-known sequence called Surya Namaskra or Sun Salutations. This particular flow sequence accesses your whole body and can be repeated several time to make a short or long workout.

Anna

If you were to try Ashtanga I would recommend starting with Ninki Doane’s DVDs. After my first class I could hardly walk for a few days and so I got her DVD through netflix and practiced for a month on my own. However, I would caution you against just working with a DVD and strongly encourage you finding a good teacher who can correct you when you make a mistake which should stop you from getting hurt.

Perhaps you can see reviews on sites like Amazon? I have found them to be sometimes helpful to me if you read carefully, not just look at stars but styles too to be sure of suitability!