DVD recommendations?

Hi all,

This is my first time in this forum!! :smiley: It was highly recommended by a friend.

The reason for writing is that I want to start Yoga but don’t have time to go to a formal class. I’m a medical professional that will have 4 very busy months ahead of him! As such I’m looking for an alternative, and yoga is it.

I started WeightWatchers on October 10 of last year and thus far have lost 18 pounds, and up until late December I walked and did weight training. Though I’ve never been slim, I practiced taekwondo many years ago, and don’t consider myself terribly stiff. I can do a handstand and hold the position for a minute, and can perform a backbridge with relative ease. My build is akin to a weightlifter or off-season bodybuilder, the only difference that I don’t have huge muscles :wink:

Long story short, I’m looking for recommendations for a high-quality yoga DVD appropriate for a beginner. Ideally, I want a video that is fairly difficult, at least enough to last me to an advanced-beginner/intermediate level, and that does not contain any new-age or philosophical proselytizing.

Though burning fat is the main goal, building muscle, strength & endurance are the key points for me. I believe this is mostly referred to as “power yoga” but you be the judge.

Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum Happy5. I moved your post to this thread; please scroll through to see some of the DVDs that are recommended here. I would recommend attending a class though with a well-trained teacher and against learning Yoga practice from DVDs and books; this is akin to reading about medicine and then attempting to treat yourself. You can cause yourself injury from wrong Yoga practice and we see this a lot in Yoga therapy and on this forum.

We have a number of MDs on the forum already and I am excited to have another. I hope you will continue to share here. What is your field of emphasis?
Kind regards,

[quote=Nichole;9221]please scroll through to see some of the DVDs that are recommended here. I would recommend attending a class though with a well-trained teacher and against learning Yoga practice from DVDs and books; this is akin to reading about medicine and then attempting to treat yourself. You can cause yourself injury from wrong Yoga practice and we see this a lot in Yoga therapy and on this forum.

We have a number of MDs on the forum already and I am excited to have another. [/quote]

Well, I’m graduating in 3 months, and I’ll train in pediatrics, so technically I’m lying about being a doc yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on joining a class in the future, but I’m unable to do so at the moment. I mentioned what I could do strength & flexibility wise (handstand, back bridge) so someone could give me a recommendation.

I read the suggestions here, but they drifted to music selections… here’s some selections that caught my eye from user reviews in Amazon.com:

1. Yoga for Busy People (Ananda Yoga) - 3 short routines for calmness, vitality, harmony
  2. Yoga Short Forms (recommended here as well)
  3. Yoga for Beginners, by Barbara Benagh
  4. Bryan Krest Power Yoga Collection
  5. Yoga Challenge I

Additionally, a friend gave me some videos by Geo Takoma, who has a website Fearless Flexibility. which he calls “Geo’s Power Yoga”. I have seen most of it and I see the power and fitness aspect, but it’s not a formal yoga teaching per se.

Any other thoughts?

[quote=jezheath;8481]Dear Savannah,

Rather than traveling with a single DVD, and struggling to choose it, you could try online yoga instruction which allows you to access a library of streaming yoga videos online, wherever you are.

I’m personally affiliated with http://www.TotalYogaPractice.com who offer a range of practices for all abilities from beginner to advanced. It was for busy, mobile people just like yourself that TotalYogaPractice.com was created, I’d encourage you to take a look.

(sorry for the blatant plug, but it seems appropriate in this case since I really believe it could meet your needs)

Namaste

Jez[/quote]

thanks Jez, i used another site exclusively up until i started travelling, as i live in a remote area in Australia and had no access to a yoga studio, but it is not an option for travelling purposes as i won’t have frequent access to the web pouts
i have downloaded some online videos and purchased a couple of DVD’s as well as transcribing some of my favourite flows from the site to the Yoga Journal Sequence builder, so i have a good variety now.

Namaste
Savannah

Hello

I’m new to this forum but wondered whether anybody could advise me. I’m looking for recommendations for a yoga DVD that will help me with (in particular) flexibility and posture, and which will help me feel energised. I know a class would be better but unfortunately I don’t have time to attend one as I have young children. I am a beginner but would like to feel reasonably challenged (I have some experience of pilates and also antenatal yoga). I especially enjoy DVDs set in beautiful surroundings, rather than those set in a studio. I recently tried a DVD by Rodney Yee (yoga for abs) which I really enjoyed- is he a good teacher?

I’d be very grateful for any replies. Thank you.

Hi all, I’m new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows some good Yoga DVDs to recommend. I am a beginner, and my goals are relaxation with a bit of strength training. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I really enjoy Rodney Yee. His Power Yoga dvds are very enjoyable and I find him to be pleasant to see and hear. I also have done some of this other videos Yoga Burn and some geared more for flexibility.

I also enjoy Shiva Rhea. She has a nice dvd out that you can customize somewhat. It has a few different routines and then one where you can customize it in the same dvd.

I hope this helps. Check the library to see if they have a dvd so you can try it or maybe but one used at amazon.

Namaste,
Sandy

thank you for your help!

Hello,

As an inexpensive alternative to DVD’s I would like to recommend the Yoga Learning Center Yoga Learning Center - Online yoga video classes and instruction , which offers online yoga video instruction available 24 hours a day. They are currently offering a one-week free trial.

Namaste,

Steve

Personally I LOVE Yogi Marlon’s DVDs.

She does a lot of intermediate/advanced postures (crow, back-bends, etc) and the workouts on her DVDs are 30 minutes long usually w/ 4 on each.

The production is not the fanciest, but the substance is really there. Plus, she is somewhat obscure, so the DVDs can be acquired fairly cheaply!

Ask Yogi Marlon - Yoga information for living a holistic lifestyle or amazon will have them. Just search “yogi marlon”

Hai…earthsoul8…I read your thread…& i really very much appreciate because you given information & told about the studio…thanks

I am looking to purchase a yoga DVD to do at home when I can’t make it to my gym. I am not a yoga expert but would like maybe an intermediate DVD to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to where I can purchase one online.

Shoney