DVD recommendations?

i am in the most fortunate position to travel extensively over the next 8 month and will have to practise my asanas ‘on the road’.
With huge array of DVD’s available i am looking for some recommendations,
DVD’s that have at least two different flows (appr 30-45mins) catering for an intermediate practitioner.
i have seen one of Padma’s which i really enjoyed, i like her compassionate and encouraging approach.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use David Swenson’s “Short Forms” DVD. It has a 15, 30 and 45 practice with no music and no real comentary. He just names in sanskrit the poses and offers modifications for beginners. It’s excellent. You can buy it at his web site ashtanga.net

i really liked Shiva Rea’s ‘Yoga Shakti’ (before i became an ashtangi). it’s fun, as you can select a preset combination (i think there are 3 between 45 min-1 1/2 hours) or create your own.

i also know how difficult it is to get on your mat when you’re travelling- so good luck!

sarah

What style of yoga do you practice? I would say just do the primary series.

Sarahy, I am interested in the shiv rea collection. In the trance series do you actuclly dance? I want to do mediation , all the common pose without doing tons of sun salutions and have music in background you can hear that helps you to relex from life’s work. I like to do new pose I know most of the common poses. I think Rodey yee’s immediate yoga dvd might be what I want but I like something new.

I live in an area with limited classes, mostly asana, and work a lot of hours. Therefore, since many classes are held during my working hours, other then the ones that I instruct for the Recreation Department, my practices are influenced by the DvDs that I collect and use as instructional tools for my personal practices. I have several. Most of Shiva Rea’s collection and since I have also spent a day or two as a student of hers at some conference intensives as well as a workshop or two I know that she is a fan of Daniel Odier’s works. I love the incorporation of the feminine and the pulsing vinyasa, but it’s not for everyone. There are parallels to Angela Farmer’s work but definitely her own style. Her Trance Dance has some interesting movement and her background in world dance is abundantly clear but not traditional “asana”. I do like both her Shakti yoga and her Fluid Power and the matrix does afford some options for sequencing which is a nice feature with some good explanations and interviews.

I can see the merits of Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga, and the work of Tias Little with his extensive anatomical perspective.  If you would like a strong physical practice with definite spiritual overtones look also to Sharon Gannon and David Life who can be found if you search for Jivamukti... Rodney Yee's yoga burn is sweet as well.  I have others but these are the ones entering my mind as I type.

You could also check out utube and itunes... or yoga journal.com for pose sequencer, or something like that.  Bottom line is trust.  Yoga will be there for you.  If the seed is planted in you, your practices will evolve as necessary and the asanas that you need will spontaneously move from inside or a class or workshop will be there when you are in dire straits. 

Sit, set some intentions, do some mudras, move your body.. and enjoy the travel.  Seek santosha, (contentment) smell, taste, grow as you move through time and space... and watch and find joy in what happens...

So many ways to look at things.  Planning is one, trust in source, be guided... Hoping you find this helpful.

i think earthsoul8 answered your question better than i could. i don’t dance, i only have shiva rea’s yoga shakti and can’t comment on her other DVDs. i also however, like rodney yee’s intermediate dvd as well.

sarah

I was thinking about getting the yoga journal : great instructors 3 dvd set. Is this what I am look for? Its very attempting to just to go for Rodney yee dvds. I just like to do alot of poses as possable with good mediation music. Is there a dvd that has the headstand pose without talking during this pose?

Hi Makena,

When I mentioned yoga journal I was thinking more in terms of using the [Yoga Journal](http://www.yogajournal.com) site as a reference for building your own sequence.  This way one can sequence poses and save, affording possibility to then either combine, or use for shorter periods of time.  The link is below... I may even have saved a combination for others to see, mostly a seated asana, good for root chakra.  (I'll double check on that. )  If your were to try using this as an option you could add headstand at the end, when typically inversions are done.  Or shoulder stand, wheel or bridge depending on how you are feeling before savasana or a pranayama practice.  

Yoga Journal - Sequence Builder

I don't have the Great instructor series. I was actually at that conference and I imagine all three dvd's would be good.  Price is ok for three dvds on the yoga journal site. 

I too like Rodney's dvds although I don't have his Intermediate dvd. I have two others, one which I mentioned yoga burn, and another on meditation and relaxation. 

Just wondering where in the world you are located... if you want to answer.  

And I could pass this link on as well, a very interesting utube presentation.

[YouTube - Krisnamacharya Yoga Film 1938 (silent)](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_eTupTCbI)  

A sweet example of a very personal practice.  Nothing seems imposed, but rather 

an intimate connection to the rhythmic dance that moves within each of us.

Ok and one more thing for now.  Out of all the dvds I have viewed, I typically recommend Shiva's Shakti for all of the reasons you mention... It has a multitude of options, instruction and music, or just music... places for additional tools of learning, etc. Blessings, mudras, meditation, pranayama techniques and other teachings.  
 Oh, and I'll ask my daughter who does have the jivamukti collection if she knows of a dvd with headstand and limited or no talking as off hand I'm not sure if any in my "collection" do.  

Bless you as you cultivate your practices and as your practices cultivate you.

Well I live in Maui and single. Yeah I agree the 3 dvd set is pricey. I am making a list of yoga dvds for chrismas this year. So I think I’ll put the rodney yee ones and the yogic shatik on the list. I tried the yoga seguencer but it didn’t make the list of route. So I gave up on that. But also then you would have to add your own background music. I try to find some in my parents cd but some just make me feel depressed. It needs to be relexing with some upbeat to it.

Hi again… I live at the Jersey shore but typically get to Maui every spring. At least for the last 15 years and stay in Napili. This year I was there for a wedding in Oct. so my spring trip will more then likely not be happening this year. When I’ve been there and on and off I see lots of interesting event happening at this studio.

[The Studio Maui :: Maui Yoga Dance Movement Healing Arts and Cultural Center](http://www.thestudiomaui.com/)

I just checked and depending on transportation, or money, etc. I would want to check out Jaya Lakshmi concert.  Jai Utal Kirtan and definitely Mark Whitwell is always worth investigating.  Yoga of Heart.  Former Jivamukti teacher and student of Krishnamarcharya lineage.  Google for the Hrid Sutras.  
Or find him on MySpace.  Heart of yoga.  Also Viniyoga master Gary Kraftsow and his wife Mirka are off from the Hana Highway and I think Mirka does some workshops and classes locally. For when you feel like you want to be in a group.

Music selection is always fun.  You will find different schools of thought on music.  Should we be quieting the mind or distracted by music but I Like to experiment with both as options.  Here is one of my playlist for an upbeat practice.  Includes many genres of music.  What relaxes one person definitely can upset another.  Try some of these artists... 

Shiva Manas Puja Asana
Angels of the Sea Tajalli
Om The Moody Blues
A Smile That Explodes Joseph Arthur
Catch the Wind Joan Baez, Donavan
Reaching for Light Lizzie West & The White Buffalo
All We Have Brett Dennen
Beauty of the Sea The Gabe Dixon Band
Krsna Pranam Jaya Lakshmi & Deva Priyo
What a Day Greg Laswell
If Not for You Phil Keaggy
I Try Ben Taylor
Spirits Ty Burhoe
Samba Sadashiva Donna De Lory
Getting Some Fun Out of Life Madeleine Peyroux
Elements Into Light Layne Redmond (Bija seed sounds)
Yesterday (beatles) Judy Collins

It would be a nice mix of mantra… folk, soft rock, jazz, new age, etc.
Anything particular that you do like… world beats is always fun…
any of Shaman’s Dream, a compilation called Eden: Global chill…
Rara Avis. Well now that I’ve put some ideas down. I’ll wish you good luck on your christmas wish list, your inquiries got me thinking and tapping into sharing some of my favorites. Funny how it’s hard to stop! Good luck and enjoy life on Maui.

I live in napili point. What style of music are these tracks from? I like uplifting trance music. If know how use dance music stucture them you can feel so happy to fullest that you will yell in pleasure. But okay I put sliva rea and rodney yee is on my list.

I stay at Loa Place when I visit Maui… and hang out at Kapalua Bay diving and doing yoga and sometimes sit at Napili point if my friend is surfing… It’s tough watching all the building going on. My friends got married at Fleming Beach. North West Maui is beautiful.

The tracks in the previous post are of mixed genres... as I said..  You could sample on ITUNEs or other mp3 sites...  I love the dance trance myself as well.  

DJ Dragonfly... 
 Rara Avis...
 Karsh Kale...
 Bombay Dub Orchestra...
 Theivery Corporation...

Are you into armin van burren, paul van dyk, mark sculz? What year did you grad from high school? I agree I- tunes is the place to get the music you want and not spend hours in a music store and come home and to fine out you only like some or worse not any of the music and feel like you got rip off. I found a relly good method which is to listen to 1 club fm. They give you artist and tittle. Then write it down and look for it on itunes and buy it.

Ahhh, music and the nad… The silence between the notes. Thank-you for your music selections. Armine Van Burren, etc. in your last reply. It’s interesting how the flow of this thread has changed from DVD choices to music selections.
One of the things that I find most fascinating about yogic practices and observation is the manifestation and perception of my world. For instance the first general forum thread of a new member last night, or today, is about music choices. The last one that I wrote last evening was about music choices. I just smile and shake my head in awe. I’ll have to steer him to this sequence of threads. You asked what year I graduated from High School. It was a long time ago. Age is funny… I don’t really see much importance as some of my best friends are in there 60’s and well beyond, and some are in there 20’s and younger. I grew up in VT and love the mountains and the beach…Nature…Graduated high school in 1974. College in 1979…and I’ve been enamored with studying ever since.
I have to comment about some of the replies I read that advised to get rid of the IPOD. I would add that if the IPOD is keeping one from being happy, or taking up too big a part of there life, then perhaps it would be good advice. Keep in mind the magnetic waves may be harmful to one’s health but with the right work on the auric field maybe not so bad. It was a play on words that I heard one time, Tune into your I… ITUNES!My advice is music is great, IPOD’s are a great way to organize, store and listen. As a yoga and fitness instructor it is environmentally better, less waste from CD’s, more economical. My point is that if you keep balance in your life, and listen to your IPOD, but still find time to be social, or work, or hike and get outside, or do service to people in need, and to do your yoga practices, I am of the opinion that music works… much like mantra, or chanting, or prayer, or ancient healing techniques from Hawaii for pain management, mumbling under ones breath. In Daniel Odier’s translation of the sacred texts at the Origins of Tantra the Yoga SpandaKarika

# 136 of the Vijnanbhairava Tantra says:  At the moment where your attention awakens through sensory organs, enter the spatiality of your own heart.  

Doesn't music have an effect on the sensory organs?
With music I understand what you mean when you say you would like to yell.  I feel that bubbling on the inside.... The connection to the element of water, to movement...the fire in belly burns and I want to create and yes, move into my throat charkra and into the mid-brain. Sound gets the inner  drum beating and causes vibrations, movement on the inside and in that awareness my body always wants to follow suit.  

#111 Wander or dance to exhaustion in utter spontaneity.  Then, suddenly drop to the ground and in this fall be total.  There absolute essence is revealed.  

As if we need permission!  This IS yoga... 

But always remember the space between the notes, what is in your heart... the nad, that quiet contemplative point when the mind is not judging but rather being, and dancing on the inside, doing "your" yoga.  There is lots of advice on the market.  Find what makes you happy, serve and find joy, smiling for your inner lover. 

You know there are 4 sounds to Aum... 1) A  2) U   3) M   4) shhhhh!

#67  When you senses shiver and your mind becomes still, enter the energy of the breath, and when you feel pins and needles, know supreme joy.

Find balance now and then, :-) and I hope you get your DVD's for xmas.

well I got change the tread back to yoga and I was wondering if all the pose I try to do after work are good for helping me to slow down and get to sleep faster rather then just lie in bed thinking about what happen during the day. I do the following mediate for while, the plow, should stand, cat-cow, standing forward bend Abdominal twist, Bridge pose, child’s pose, lastly corspse pose. Is there any other poses or better pose ones that I should use?

Thank you for your suggestions, i have selected some of the ones recommended, also built my own sequences through Yoga Journal.
i live in a remote area in Australia and up until now i was using myyogaonline.com for their fantastic streaming videos and would have loved to continue to do so, but the only ISP that provided roaming within AU charges per mb without guarantee of sufficient dl speed, so not a good option.
i have transcribed some of my favourite practises from the myyogaonline.com videos so can still practise them too.

lots of inspiration coming from your suggestions too, thanks again
namaste
Savannah:D

What would you recommend?

I’m not very agile at all, and considered overweight. The DVD that I follow along with does a lot of advanced poses, so I do my own stretches and whatnot while that is going on and do what I can when it comes along. I am looking for something more or less for a serious beginner.

Thank you in advance.

-Tina

Dear Savannah,

Rather than traveling with a single DVD, and struggling to choose it, you could try online yoga instruction which allows you to access a library of streaming yoga videos online, wherever you are.

I’m personally affiliated with http://www.TotalYogaPractice.com who offer a range of practices for all abilities from beginner to advanced. It was for busy, mobile people just like yourself that TotalYogaPractice.com was created, I’d encourage you to take a look.

(sorry for the blatant plug, but it seems appropriate in this case since I really believe it could meet your needs)

Namaste

Jez

Hi everybody
I really adore yoga but I never had the chance to learn it. Also, I don’t have the chance to take any classes.Does anyone know how can I find a tutorial or maybe a movie that I can download and practice with it?