Fibromyalgia and JFS

Hi Mukunda,

I have several students with Fibromyalgia, one of whom is in regular pain. I tried the Joint Freeing Series with them and it triggered more pain the day after. I took your recomendations and tried it slower with less repetitions, more breath and only extending 3/4 of their ROM. This also did not work and caused pain. I’m wondering if you have any other insights as to why this is so painful for them.

I understand Fibro and have learned that less is definately more with these folks, but I don’t understand the pain aspect and what triggers it. Any insight is appreciated.

With many thanks and much respect-Christa

This condition sometimes has acute phases especially in the trigger points across the trapezius muscle of the upper back. Without hearing what specific pains were aggravated i would guess that is the problem your students are having. In this case i would suggest minimizing upper body work of the JFS and instead do the rest of the series. It sounds like you did all you could to modify the series by being more gentle and that is always first choice for adapting.
In addition i find working with restorative poses, and especially with the support of a guided yoga nidra tape (avaialbe from Richard Miller’s site www.nondual.com) is most beneficial.