Fish pose blackout

All the time I get out of the fish pose I will black out for a sec. I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced the same sometimes?

I so used to it, that stopped to pay attention, just always ready to black out after the fish:)

Citymonk,

You have to come out with inhalation. That means you have to prepare by exhaling completely before. Also, don’t “lift” the head, but rather squeeze the chin into the clavicle (with inhalation).

Hope that will help,
siva

One of the first things I was taught in fish pose is gaze down the nose, not backwards. This may help with dizziness.

It is also difficult for me to finish this pose. >_<

I also find this pose tricky, I come out of it my not lifting my head but instead rolling onto my side, I find this to be more comfortable and safe.

[QUOTE=sweetapple;47168]It is also difficult for me to finish this pose. >_<[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by “finishing” the pose? Is it that you are going as far into the pose as your body mind will allow you to go at the moment?

Dear Breathing,

Asana, or postures, are composed of three distinct actions performed in coordination with inhalation/exhalation: getting into the pose, holding it, and getting out, or “finishing.”

Fish pose is one of the more technical and is taught in various ways. If you’re going to “finish” by bringing the gaze to the feet, you want to exhale completely first, then draw the chin into the clavicle WITH INHALATION, then exhale down to the floor. Of course, use the preparatory exhalation to focus mentally just prior to that inhalation.

peace,
siva

I do roll to the side too:)) sometimes.

Gazing at the nose could be the right answer! Will try today in class

Monk,

it’s obviously a blood pressure issue. And that may stem from one of two things;
either a collapsing in the cervical spine while in the pose or the method in which you bring yourself
upright when exiting the pose - which of course could also be collapsing in the cervical spine or
as Siva notes a breath ill-suited to the exit.

Lift the lower thoracic into the solar plexus, the mid thoracic into the heart center, and the upper thoracic into the sternum.
Or perhaps hold off on this pose and work your preceding back bends until your body tells you otherwise, then return.

[QUOTE=siva;47223]Dear Breathing,

Asana, or postures, are composed of three distinct actions performed in coordination with inhalation/exhalation: getting into the pose, holding it, and getting out, or “finishing.”

Fish pose is one of the more technical and is taught in various ways. If you’re going to “finish” by bringing the gaze to the feet, you want to exhale completely first, then draw the chin into the clavicle WITH INHALATION, then exhale down to the floor. Of course, use the preparatory exhalation to focus mentally just prior to that inhalation.

peace,
siva[/QUOTE]

Thanks Siva for the info on the actions of the pose, and the detailed instructions. While I am aware of them, I was wondering just how far along this particular member reached in the fish. Was she able to go just part of the way into the pose, did she modify the pose using a prop?

As you know, sometimes we may have to approach a particular pose in stages. It may take years to actually perform the complete pose. That is, if it is our desire to keep trying.

That’s what so great about yoga. We work with our body mind as it is with patience and persistence, without force and strain, and with gratitude.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;47224]I do roll to the side too:)) sometimes.

Gazing at the nose could be the right answer! Will try today in class[/QUOTE]

How did it go?

I’ve had some newer students go through the same sort of thing with easier poses as well. Make sure it’s not a sleep or dietary issue. It’s less likely, but I’ve seen it happen so it’s worth thinking about.

This makes me think about when I do Eagle pose, I always get a headrush and really dizzy as I come out of this pose. Now I just avoid the pose because I do not like it.
I get what your saying, when doing it, I do sort of wait for it. I expect it to happen.
I think that it might be best to avoid the pose. I mean you could be either having a
blood pressure issue or it is somehow cutting off oxegen to the brain or something.
None of it is a good thing to repeat over and over.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;47589]How did it go?[/QUOTE]

Well, I black out when demonstrate only… just because I get up too fast:)

home practice if fine:)

Thank you all for your replies!
-Gazing to the nose tip is very helpful
-get out on the breathing in also can be applied to many other poses

• collapsing cervical spine is nice to note and correct as well.