Flat feet

Yogi Mukunda, I have severe flat feet (I have specially made inserts for support) that causes the ankles to collapse. My physicians are telling me that I must be operated on. This would entail cutting my feet in three places, removing bone from by hip and rebuilding the feet. I truly believe that the body can heal itself and I do not want an operation. Please provide me with any information that you may have on strengthening the ligaments and muscles that may help to rebuild the arch naturally. Thank you in advance. A

There are several exercises, which can tone the muscles of the arch. Look over a good anatomy book first (some basics can be seen in Structural Yoga Therapy - including recommendations for such postural challenges as this). Mainly I find working on the standing poses with your weight rolling to the outer ankles is helpful to strengthen the anterior tibialis. Also doing squats and raising and lowering your heels while keeping pelvis near the heels is powerful for the calf muscles and smaller muscles near the toes that support the arches from above and below. Keeping at it is important. These type of motions need to be done couple times a day to make progress. Also connective tissue bodywork is very beneficial in the hands of an advanced practitioner in methods such as Rolfing and other deep tissue work. I find that inserts rarely help build an arch, as they tend to relax the muscles that need to be toned. Namaste Mukunda