Flat Feet

I?m suffering greatly and would like your advise on this:

I?m 28 years old and have been doing yoga for the past 2 years. I?ve been concentrating on Bikram (sweaty) yoga for the past year and am loving it. I would like to one day teach and have benefited in ALL aspects of life from it ? eventually I would like to pass this on to others.

I was born with flat feet and I?ve always been active (running, swimming, gym member, etc).

I?ve been doing Bikram for about 11 months now…the first 7 were great…and then I started getting a lot of pain in my left foot/ankle on the inside. Specifically where the arch should be and the ankle above it. I?ve seen a Chiropodist, who has given me a new pair of orthodics. My problem is that now ? after every yoga practice ? I?m experiencing a GREAT DEAL of discomfort in the left foot. I?m doing all that I can ? loosening my calves, concentrating on planting the 4 corners of my feet, I?m even taking it very easy on my left leg and not doing half the poses.

I love yoga so much and it will be hard for me to quit (although, if I can?t remedy the situation, I?ll have to).

Do you have any advice on what I should try doing? I?m thinking of taking 2 weeks off and not doing any yoga. But I?m scared that when I go back, it will be the same old story. Do I just suffer through the pain and eventually it will go away?
Help!

A ? I feel that you need personalized instruction in working with this. If possible get an appt. with myself or graduate of my program listed under trainings on my website. I will add you to my list so you can be informed of events in your area ? Western Canada yes?

See my book Structural Yoga Therapy for specific asanas cited that can help but more importantly learn the muscles that pull your toes up (plantar flexors) and also those that lift the arch (eversion). By understanding where the muscles are then you know what you should feel in the asanas. These muscles should particularly be engaged in standing poses and also with Virasana. One should not suffer through the pain. Rolfing or some other form of connective tissue massage may be of great help too. Also go to my archive website www.yogaforums.com to get searchable answers to this and other similar questions. namaste

Thank you so much for all the time you put into both responses.

I appreciate all your advise and I took a look at the forum ? I found it extremely helpful. By reading some of the posts, I?m coming to realize that a ligament takes time to heal and there isn?t a huge blood supply to these areas.

I am doing some physiotherapy excercises which are helping me isolate the areas that aren?t being used (hoping to build them up).

I?m not doing any yoga in the meantime, but slowly I will bring that back. I think the rest has been very helpful for my feet and I hope I?m on my way to stabilizing the feet.

I will purchase your book tonight.

I?m actually not in Western Canada ? I?m in Toronto, which is considered East.

I?m looking into Rolfing as well.

Thanks again!

you are welcome for assistance. I guess the closest i come to you is workshops at Kripalu which will be Labor Day this year and also to NYC where i give a regular training. you can make appt. for individual session there. namaste