German beansprouts

Watching the news this morning: the German bean sprouts that killed 35 people and made thousands sick were locally grown, organic and pesticide free.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I believe it was bacteria causing the problems. Pesticides wont stop that from happening. I would much rather take my chances with pesticide free food anyways. I might be wrong on the cause the only glanced over the story myself. :slight_smile:

many people do not wash their produce, since it looks clean…

“Organic” farmed will mean manure instead of chemicals manure is still manure and can harbour a host of bacteria in this case E-coli, shinga but could just as easily have been from the harvesting.

Organic farmed and then triple washed and then handled by a piece work labourer who was not given adequate breaks or educated in proper hand-washing procedure after toileting, nor given the tools to keep themselves clean. How often have you entered a washroom and found it unclean and soapless? I trust as often as you have informed management and left said establishment. Be clean, be safer.

Sprouts are dangerous. Grown in the same warm, moist, often sunless environments that are ideal for bacterial growth. Risky but then I eat wild mushrooms…