Have any of you tried Yoga Nidra?

This morning I did Yoga Nidra for about 40 minutes. It was a great way to meditate, as it puts you into a state of deep relaxation that’s as if you’ve slept for 3 hours. I definitely woke up refreshed.

Have any of you tried Yoga Nidra, and if so, how did you feel about it?

Namaste Lexi,

Please note, yoga nidra is not an alternative to sleep. If you woke from it like from a sleep, then you slept and did not practice yoga nidra. :slight_smile:

I love yoga nidra and usually do it for people who suffers from anxiety and depression with great results.

I have a Yoga Nidra meditaton CD but haven’t tried it yet. In a nutshell, what is the process?

:oops:I actually read the book but now I don’t remember.:oops:

I practiced one session of it in this beautiful ashram I stayed at in Rishikesh. I think it’s different for every person, and I’m not totally clear on the process myself.

I would love to hear some more thoughts/ideas about it.

Blessings.

My teacher, Aadil Palkhivala, typically teachers a 90 minute yoga nidra in any month where there are five tuesdays.

Yoga Nidra is a deep state of consciousness that most practitioners cannot self-facilitate. It must be facilitated by a skilled teacher.

I do yoga nidra every day,for the past 20 years and have made my own CD which is easily available from my web site.
I love yoga nidra…a friend introduced it to me about 25 years ago and I’ve been doing it ever since…actually yoga nidra is just another word for a relaxation exercise…call it what you want …it’s great…I tend to use it as a sleeping pill at night…or a stress reliever during the day…to get the maxium results from it you need to understand how it works and do at least a 40 minute stint…but longer the better…I find about one and a quarter hours make me feel quite well.

Hi all, at the end of a yoga class I’ll read a 20 -30 minute yoga nidra exercise out to everyone and they all respond to it very positively. I believe a lot of them come to the class especially for the meditation at the end. Even after reading it aloud I feel extremly exhilerated.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;17932]My teacher, Aadil Palkhivala, typically teachers a 90 minute yoga nidra in any month where there are five tuesdays. .[/QUOTE]
thats funny
in a good way brother
Neil

I listen to Yoga Nidra that I found online, but I’m always looking for different ones to listen too. If you have any other ones, please let me know.

Thanks
Lexi

This is something I have actually been wondering about recently. As there are not so many choices for yoga in my area (most are two hours or more drive away) is there a good introductory dvd or anything that someone could recommend?

[quote=Kamma;18059] or anything that someone could recommend?[/quote]Take a peek at my web site.

I look at Yoga Nidra and found that actually it is of IMMENSE importance:

The problem is that it is not easy which way to follow, as there are several schools of Yoga Nidra. Some teachers (in arbitrary order): Saraswati, Bharati, Gurumaaa, Kriyananda
et al.

Does anybody have experience with a school ?

[QUOTE=Albert;18061]Take a peek at my web site.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
I will try it and let you know how it was for me.

Lexi

[quote=LexiYoga;18109]Thanks
I will try it and let you know how it was for me.
Lexi[/quote]Ok. I hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

I highly recommend it! I’ve been using a guided audio for the past few years with great results.
Patryc

I have the Lessons of Yogananda. He gives very precise instructions on how to practice yoga nidra.

The Lessons of Yogananda are not to be disclosed though. You can receive them, if you want to. Just google the net.

I"m a Sivananda yoga teacher.
Every Sivananda yoga class is finished with a short (10 minute) yoga nidra practice.
I find it invaluable in my own practice, and as a teacher.

With love,
Ben

Yes, In yoga nidra, you lie on your back, with your eyes closed, and do a guided relaxation. You imagine you are sinking into the deepest level of sleep, and your mind is suspended there.
Yoga nidra works because it changes something in your brain. It turns out that sleep is a state in which your brain is most active, in a process called "synaptic pruning." Synapses are connections between neurons. The pruning process creates new synapses and eliminates unnecessary ones, and some of these changes take place while you are awake.
In yoga nidra, your brain is getting the same kind of pruning you get when you are asleep, but in a guided and conscious way. You don't have to fall asleep. You don't have to move out of your deep sleep. You can stay where you are, with your eyes closed.
That's different from ordinary sleep. In ordinary sleep, your brain does most of its pruning while you are awake, or during REM sleep, when the dreaming occurs. You don't have to do anything special to get REM sleep, but you do have to do something special to get Yoga Nidra.
Yoga nidra has three benefits. It is very relaxing. It will help with insomnia. And it will lower your stress level.