Help choosing meditation

Hello, I am interested in meditation for my family as a whole. We are all essentially stressed out and get at each-others throats. I do not know alot about meditation except for that it can help alleviate various things. What I want to know is what type of meditation might be suited for stress and if I was to go find a class to take, what would I be looking for to know that the class is “legit”/the teacher knows what he/she is doing.

Actually, I have kinda the same questions for yoga as well. Kinda interested in both. Those and Tai Chi look interesting.

the most “basic” but not easy meditation is to sit quiet and concentrate on the breath, some people prefer to count the breaths, some doing just fine concentrating with no counting. If you can start 5-10 minutes a day that is great. when you reach the point where you want to keep breathing and do not want to open your eyes - you have mastered it:))

where do u live? I know few good and free meditation classes in my area

[QUOTE=CityMonk;66547]the most “basic” but not easy meditation is to sit quiet and concentrate on the breath, some people prefer to count the breaths, some doing just fine concentrating with no counting. If you can start 5-10 minutes a day that is great. when you reach the point where you want to keep breathing and do not want to open your eyes - you have mastered it:))

where do u live? I know few good and free meditation classes in my area[/QUOTE]

I live in rochester, michigan, USA

Hi,

I practice “Sahaja Marg meditation” and doing from 1.5 years.
I found it extremely helpful .

You can give SRCM (SHRI RAM CHANDRA MISSION) in google and very first result will take you to the Home Page

Thanks

Wow that’s a really tough question. It’s like asking me what suit or dress you’d look good wearing. It’s incredibly subjective and on a yoga forum you’re likely to have every Tom, Disk and Harisimran advocate THEIR practice.

There are two things I’ll share relative to your inquiry. The first is to go and do something. When the stress levels are very high it’s likely you’ll find some ease in doing anything mindful which advocates breathing. Authenticity is nice, it’s important, perhaps even critical but breaking the stress cycle first may allow you to see life more clearly.

The second bit is to remain vigilant in your commitment to discerning what is appropriate for you. This is the authenticity mentioned above. Pay attention to what works for you, the results or residue of the work and its efficacy in your day-to-day interactions. If after some time of doing the work you are still cursing at people on I-75 then perhaps it’s not the most effective path for you.

gordon