Help me decide which Yoga

My main goal is to be more flexible.

I am a beginner to yoga and I lift weights. I want to be more flexible but I dont want to do “power” yoga because I fatigue my muscles during weight training. If it comes down to “power” yoga, then so be it but I want my yoga journey be geared more towards flexibility first. I cant even touch my toes while bending at the waist. I get to my shoe laces.

Is there any beginners flexibility DVD the community recommends?

Yin yoga is a very gentle yoga form where you focus on softening the body. I would not recommend any DVD though, not unless you have already been to some yoga classes.

i appreciate your feedback but there are two things to note.

1 - there are no yin yoga classes by me and
2 - i have neither the time nor money for classes. I work 14 hours a day and work out so to find a class at those weird times is HIGHLY unlikely.

I would like to start yoga by a beginners DVD but eventually move to a class once work lets up. So is there a beginner video?

thanks again–Eherr

Maybe there is a yoga studio near you where you can take a beginner week-end course that doesn’t cost a fortune? Then you could get started with some poses to practice at home, until you have more time and money for more regular visits to yoga classes.

Honestly I don’t know any good yoga DVDs, I should have written that in my first reply - sorry! I watched a yoga DVD once when I was a beginner, and it was a complete waste of time for me. But maybe someone else on this forum has had any better experience?

Deep Stretch/ Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire is very good and may be what you are looking for. Reviews in the link will give details.

Lastics. It’s new, I don’t have it (yet;)), it’s based on dance stretch, but I heard it was good.

would this be a good starting point?

on youtube search for the following video:
Yin Yoga - Lesson 1 - Presented by Peaceflow Yoga, Taught by Trista Hollerbach

Thanks,
–Eherr

I really love Hatha and Asthanga yoga. I say try as many as you can in order to decide which one is best for you.

Hi, you could try to use this chart:

go to visual.ly/find-your-yoga to see it.

It’s meant to be a little bit funny though. And there are a number of styles that you might enjoy tha are not on the chart.

Cheers,

Alex K.

You can take help form ytube videos. There are lots of videos on ytube based on how to gain flexibility in your body. Downloads these video and try to do practice at home. These video definitely will help you.

[QUOTE=eherr9633;77059]My main goal is to be more flexible.

I am a beginner to yoga and I lift weights. I want to be more flexible but I dont want to do “power” yoga because I fatigue my muscles during weight training. If it comes down to “power” yoga, then so be it but I want my yoga journey be geared more towards flexibility first. I cant even touch my toes while bending at the waist. I get to my shoe laces.

Is there any beginners flexibility DVD the community recommends?[/QUOTE]

eherr9633,
I believe that any of these Yoga styles - Iyenger Yoga, Asthanga Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga , Asthanga Vinyasa Yoga, Anusara (with same origins and sharing mostly same asanas) will suit you as they involves elements of exercises such flexibility, firmness (muscle tone), strength, aerobic capacity and alignment. Except Iyenger Yoga, above mentioned other Yoga may lead to fatigue as you also do weight training. The solution for avoiding fatigue and doing the other styles is to learn the same under guidance and supervision of an certified and experiend Yoga teachers (of a specific style). And, ask the teacher to design a set of Yoga methods of 20 to 30 minutes that lead to your goal of whole body flexibility. You can learn the same in 3 to 6 personal sessions.
Other choices are:

1. Hatha Yoga
  2. Purna Yoga
  3. Ask a any Yoga teacher with holistic practice to design a set of Yoga methods of 20 to 30 minutes that lead to your goal of whole body flexibility.

Hollywood Trainer / Yoga - Jeanette Jenkins

[B][I]This dvd is exactly the one you looking for[/I][/B]

Yoga altogether has different purpose. Flexibility comes as a result for sure but yoga is beyond that. “power yoga” again is wrong use of yoga because that looks more appealing to people because of word “power”. If you are only interested in flexibility then I would suggest try any gymnastic class because then focus will only be flexibility. Yoga is meant for transformation.

Quote Yoga altogether has different purpose. Flexibility comes as a result for sure but yoga is beyond that. ?power yoga? again is wrong use of yoga because that looks more appealing to people because of word ?power?. If you are only interested in flexibility then I would suggest try any gymnastic class because then focus will only be flexibility. Yoga is meant for transformation.
09-10-2012 09:55 AM

I started doing yoga for anxiety and because I feel that it can help you in every aspect of life. From what I understand there are numerous health benefits. I am a lil consfused about all the different yoga styles. I like how I feel after I have done a 30 min yoga session. I may be doing it all wrong Im not sure. I am very new to yoga. In your own words would you care to define transformation? Anyone? I have my own belief system so Im good there.

My location is very small and limited when it comes to yoga. There are two gymns that offer it and it seems very different from the videos I have used. The one class I attended the teacher did not interact at all with the students. I am going to try out the other gymn but really dont have any expectations. I spoke with a worker at the gymn who told me about the class, he said that when the teacher couldnt be there that volunteers would step up and lead the class. This doesn’t sound to good to me, although Im sure there are ppl out there who are very good at this and may not be teachers. You just have to know the area where I live :slight_smile: Some of us have no other choice but to use dvd’s and books.

I suggest Rodney Yee’s DVD “Yoga for Beginners.” I agree with the other comments that it is preferable to attend classes. However, if you do not have the time or money, it is a good place to start.

Do try yoga, you may be surprised that you find much more than increased flexibility. Flexibility and body tone were my primary goals when I first started doing yoga. However, I found that it also helped me better deal with stress and live a more integrated life.

[QUOTE=eherr9633;77091]would this be a good starting point?

on youtube search for the following video:
Yin Yoga - Lesson 1 - Presented by Peaceflow Yoga, Taught by Trista Hollerbach

Thanks,
–Eherr[/QUOTE]

Im at work and watching it now. It looks very relaxing and nothing strenous. I will try this when I get home. Thanks!!

[QUOTE=SohamYogaStudio;77581]Yoga altogether has different purpose. Flexibility comes as a result for sure but yoga is beyond that. ?power yoga? again is wrong use of yoga because that looks more appealing to people because of word ?power?. If you are only interested in flexibility then I would suggest try any gymnastic class because then focus will only be flexibility. Yoga is meant for transformation.[/QUOTE]

OK. Deep breath.

I’ve been reading these forums for a little while, before registering and commenting myself. I’m new here so please take this with a grain of salt. BUT. I find it very off putting when anyone asks a question more related to the physical aspect / asanas of yoga and they get this same pat response. It seems very holier-than-thou and condescending to those who are legitimately expecting an actual response that addresses the question.

I get that this is a yoga forum, and yoga is more than just postures. But SO many people come to yoga through an initial desire to become more physically fit and/or flexible. I don’t see anything wrong with this. And, from what I’ve seen in a lot of comments, most of these people end up getting and understanding all of the additional benefits to yoga once they practice for a while. As in… the practice develops organically. Granted, a lot of folks likely don’t know about the entirety of yoga (the eight limbs, etc.) so I understand that some people are trying to educate. And that’s cool. But… so many responses I’ve seen are, like I said, condescending to those who might not be on the exact same path as you.

When I go to class, my teacher always says “this is YOUR practice”. And I feel like I’ve been getting a bit frustrated with some of these threads and the responses I see that essentially condemn people for wanting to know about only the physical aspect of yoga. We get it: it’s spiritual. It’s a path. There is MUCH more to yoga than asanas. But it would be nice to see people be a bit nicer about it.
As another commenter said elsewhere, these forums are public and come up for people that are simply google searching “yoga”… I wonder how many people end up moving on and not becoming involved due to a feeling of being flamed/chastised for focusing on only one part.

The fact is, in the United States, yoga IS greatly focused on the asanas. Or, at least, that’s usually what draws people to yoga in the first place. (I realize not everyone here is based in US but I am assuming the majority are) And the American mentality might not be fully equipped to view yoga in its entirety like other parts of the world do… It would be nice to see a bit more consideration for those who choose to practice their own way, with their own beliefs.

AMEN TGKvr and welcome to the forum.

[QUOTE=eherr9633;77059]My main goal is to be more flexible.

Is there any beginners flexibility DVD the community recommends?[/QUOTE]

yoga is a path of self realization. Asana practice might improve your flexibility though. For sake of stretching google PT exercises for group of muscles that you need to stretch. PT works just fine for your goal :wink:

Get advice from experts. we are at Arhanta yoga our Get in touch with us our experts will help you to choose yoga for you.