Herniated disc

In one of the earlier question/answer columns, if I remember correctly, you talked about working with someone with a herniated disc. I went to the archive and didn’t find what I was looking for. What I remember is that in working with someone with a herniated disc you could give gentle twists or side bending to maybe ease the bulge of the disc back into place. I have a student who has a herniated disc so any information you might offer would be greatly appreciated. He has some discomfort but a doctor who saw him said since he was skiing with not problems, surgery to correct the herniation wasn’t recommended. Also, what postures would you recommend and what postures would you avoid? What would be the best way to approach his condition to best serve him? Thanks you for your help. Sincerely, S

for herniation we avoid strong or prolonged forward bending as they nearly always herniate posteriorly and to the right side. Safest is gentle backbends while encouraging elongation of the spinal column – that is pelvis moving away from the cranium. Twists are usually good as long as that same principle is applied. I also highly recommend water, as disc problems are often associated with dehydration.