Herniated lumbar disks & cervical spine stenosis

I have a client who has a herniated disk L4, L5 and spinal stenosis. The stenosis is in the cervical area. The doctors want him to have surgery and he doesn’t want to. The doctors do not want him doing any yoga. He will be seeing a neurosurgeon next week. I have been working on him with poses for the herniated disk such as Triangle, Parsvakonasana and backbends. My questions are:

1. What do you suggest for the cervical stenosis?

2. Is it necessary to have surgery since it is in the cervical region?

3. Can Yoga help open up the cervical vertebrae? If so, what poses would be good for him?

4. I have read something about spinal stenosis but all lumbar stenosis and that it could be congenital or due to aging. Any other reasons this happens that you know of on the cervical region?

My client is in his mid 50’s, very weak and tight ALL OVER his body. He is a M.D. He suspected from his symptoms that he has a herniated disk. He was surprised to hear about the cervical spinal stenosis.

I have ordered that book on Low Back Pain that you had suggested. It sounds like it may not talk about the upper spine. I would like to have one book to answer all my questions that come up. Like one stop shopping! Is this possible??? Thanks, S

1. Arthritis diet for 10 days. For any bone spurs ? arthritis, stenosis, and pitta imbalances in general.

2. Depends on many factors that I do not comprehend. When surgery is needed, it works fine for this condition. Recommend you see Surgery and Its Alternatives by Drs. McLanahan (brother and sister). She is alternative physician at Yogaville Ashram in VA; he a surgeon in Seattle. It is frank about the options and their effectiveness. An Excellent reference book to keep on hand, inexpensive for such a huge work, now in paperback.

3. For cervical decompression and in general all poses you give must be done to decompress, elongate the spinal column. Moving pelvis away from waist and moving head away from shoulders are instructions to have in all asanas. Rolling bridge, Viparita Karani if he is strong enough to hold and neck relaxed enough during practice. Spinal twists of all sorts can decompress spine when done with mild backbend motions within the asana.

4. No reasoning that I can understand. Medical literature is more talking about symptoms rather than what caused it. I have a physician client who also has it mid 40s.

5. Then read Surgery and its Alternatives, covers all topics that are related to potential surgery and how to avoid it.