Herniation

I have a new student who is interested in relieving himself of any further lower back injury. He recently had an MRI and the results showed a herniation in S1 and L5. He was told that the discs protruded downward as well as out to the side. Does this make sense to you?? He is very willing to do his ‘homework’, so I?d like to give him a complete program. I?m thinking gluts need strengthening (locust/bridge) and abdominals for sure; the rest is yet to be determined, as we haven?t met privately yet.

What do you suggest i give him? What should i absolutely stay away from? And can you explain how his practice will heal his herniation?

Be well, Stephanie

Normal is for discs to herniate to posterior and right side. So main poses to do are backbends like locust, cobra, and bridge for developing stamina as well as their ability to help repair damage. Spinal twists can also be of benefit if done slowly. Main thing is to watch for sciatica, any motions that bring that up are to be avoided. Usually this can come from forward bend with knees straight or prolonged sitting. But you must ask him, as that will give you more details on his particular nuances with the condition.

Warrior poses are good to give both yet he might need to keep upper torso slightly forward of alignment to avoid low back strains. Locust and bridge are best to give. With variations of open legs and bending knees for locust. Go over joint freeing series with him and see what motions are restricted, if any they should be part of his regular practice. Also a major issue is to increase water intake to minimum of quart a day. Discs are filled with water and if body water level is low they will get compressed more easily.