Hip rotation tests

Dear Mukunda,

Last time I saw you I remember that you tested medial/lateral rotation of the hips in two positions, and I asked you why you did that twice and you said that one position gave information about the muscles and the other about the joints.

I think both tests were passive (you moved my body), and the second position was prone, but I forget the first one. Could you clarify the postitions and explain how one is a joint test and the other for muscles?

Thank you,

Alexandra

Dear Alexandra,

I will contact Mukunda and let him know you are waiting for reply. Sorry for the delay.

chandra

Alexandra,
While laying on your back in the first test your hips are in flexion hence the hip flexors are active and will interfere with reading the joint range of motion. The second test is lying on your belly and in this case the hips are in neutral so the reading of the joint is more accurate here.
mukunda

Thank you, Mukunda.

So, is there any reason to do this hip rotation test supine with the hips flexed then, and not just do it prone? Do you learn anything more by doing it both ways?

And, if the supine test is passive, with you moving the hip into flexion and the hip flexors are not engaged but passively shortened, would they still interfere with hip rotation ROM?

Alex

In the first test with the hips in flexion, although they are passively used they will limit rotation of the joint. So the reading here tells me of how hip flexors affect the rotators. Often people have aches with the hips and lower back in sitting poses while this discomfort is not present in standing or walking. For this reason i do the two tests. I play the role of Sherlock Holmes and eliminate what is not a problem until i am left with clarity of what is a problem.