How can depression be healed using yoga?

I am curious to know that how can depression be healed by yoga? Is it possible or not? I have to get this information so that I can help out people having depression problem.Thanks.

Hi Davidhop.

in reading this several times it has become apparent that more information is needed from you. Depression is a serious issue with many layers and it can be “helped” through a robust yoga practice. However that robustness is not imparted to laypersons over the Internet.

Are you currently a yoga teacher? If so, then it is best to ask this question of those you chose to train you as a teacher. It takes about ten years of practice and study to be able to effectively “help” people with serious issues. And by “help” I do not mean prescribe some postures which seem like a “good idea”.

[QUOTE=Davidhop;45736]I am curious to know that how can depression be healed by yoga? Is it possible or not? I have to get this information so that I can help out people having depression problem.Thanks.[/QUOTE]

[B]If you have been diagnosed with clinical depression, take your meds (if you’ve been prescribed meds). Don’t let any meditation or yoga teacher tell you that what they teach will “cure” your depression.
Do yoga, meditate, & take your meds as prescribed. & if at some future point you and a licensed mental health profession determine that you can reduce or stop taking your meds, then by all means.[/B]

Hmmmm…

resolve all mental afflictions to egoism.

Bam. Problem solved.

have you ever considered the notion that someone may need to go through and experience their depression?

[QUOTE=The Scales;45744]Hmmmm…

resolve all mental afflictions to egoism.

Bam. Problem solved.

have you ever considered the notion that someone may need to go through and experience their depression?[/QUOTE]

Of course I’ve considered it. However, I’ve dealt with this before, you never tell a student that meditation or yoga will cure a legitimate psych issue. It’s a law suit waiting to happen.

[QUOTE=Indra Deva;45750]Of course I’ve considered it. However, I’ve dealt with this before, you never tell a student that meditation or yoga will cure a legitimate psych issue. It’s a law suit waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

The “have you considered” wasn’t directed at you. (my bad) Like the reply anyway.

What a world this is?

I know you know that meditation and or yoga [I]can[/I] cure a legitimate psych issue.

I don’t know of any 'med’s’s that cure anything. (Yes I’ve considered that they need to “go through their meds.”) :slight_smile:

What a world this is.

“It is great joy to realize that the Path to Freedom which all Buddhas have trodden is ever existent, ever unchanged, and ever open to those who are ready to enter upon it.”

• The last of the 10 great joyful realizations.

[QUOTE=The Scales;45753]The “have you considered” wasn’t directed at you. (my bad) Like the reply anyway…[/QUOTE]

Oh, my bad.

Though it may purely be semantics, I’d like to add that yoga does not cure anything at all, mental health issues included. Yoga is not a cure. Yoga is something that, when properly administered and practiced, can support and nourish the body’s own healing mechanisms.

I don’t speak for others but in my work I would never tell a student to discontinue medications (for anything at all) prescribed by a health care practitioner of their choosing when they are taken of their own free will from a place of information and subsequent mindfulness (read: comprehension of cause and effect).

HI @InnerAthlete , Agreed to you.

Also adding to it , Lets understand about depression. Depression which is caused by loss of mood and is clinically very difficult to recognize. It has serious implications such as extreme suicidal tendencies or complete social isolation. Yoga therapy combines yogic counselling with yogic practice to effectively address growing mental health issues. Yoga promotes cleansing and restoring physical and emotional wellbeing.

It is known that Yoga naturally boosts positive endorphins to help cope with depression. Yoga techniques include asanas (body poses), pranayama (breathing techniques), and meditation to remove toxins and activate the nervous system for relieving depression.

Understand this in-depth and know how to practice yoga specifically for depression at Yoga Therapy for Depression Management

Yes, you can.
Try Home - Sahaja Yoga