How do I become a yogi?

Hi all,

Newbie here. I’m a New Zealander (Kiwi) living in Melbourne, Australia and work full time as a legal secretary. I’ve been practicing hatha and iyengar yoga on and off for the last 5 years. For the last couple of months I’ve been in an “off” period and not practicing much (mostly due to physical and mental illness issues).

I’ve finally realised how beneficial yoga is for my body, mind and spirit and day to day life. I want to commit to a lifetime practice and set up a home practice. I want to embrace yoga and learn everything about it. I want to become a yogi…

How do I go about this? Even after 5 years I would still class myself as a beginner of yoga, I’ve only scratched the surface on what there is to know. Are there any good books that I could use a guide? Do I need to attend more classes? Are there courses I can do? Do I need to find a yoga master to teach me, and if so, where?

I really don’t know where to start. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

[ul]
[li]How to go about it - start by learning and living the Yamas and Niyamas.[/li][li] Classifying yourself as a “beginner” is perfect.[/li][li] We too have “only scratched the surface”.[/li][li] Five sacred texts make up the philosophical foundation of the practice.[/li][li]From the above, consider starting with the Bhagavad Gita.[/li][li]Taking asana classes is very helpful - find someone who knows what they are doing and is living what they teach.[/li][li]There are more courses than you can shake a stick at. Frankly most of them are inadequate, poorly designed, or poorly conveyed. Shop very carefully.[/li][li]A master teacher is VERY helpful. Unfortunately most of the people purporting to be so aren’t. It’s a conundrum. There are however some very good, ethical folks who still have their integrity intact. They are mostly hidden.[/li][/ul]

1 Like

Great original post. I too am a beginner and want to completely immerse myself in yoga life. For me the most difficult part is converting my hectic daily life into one of peace. Between working 50 hrs a week, raising 2 kids and having a wife, there’s barely anytime to slow down and reflect and think!

1 Like

Jason,

For you, imagine yoga as a bathtub filled with very hot water. Instead of diving in, start with a toe to make sure you don’t get scalded. And immerse gradually, over time. This will take the pressure off and increase accessibility.

Search the internet for Classical Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation). It should take you no more than 4 minutes to do both the right and left sides of the series. Do it daily for about 6 weeks and check back in to report your “progress”.

Gordon

1 Like

@InnerAthlete: What are those five texts you are referring to. Considering that there are so many commentaries available for every text , Did you like anyone in particular…

The Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads, Yoga Sutras, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, and Vedas.

The Gita you can read without commentaries. For the sutras I like two; one by Swami Satchidanda and the other is entitled The Science of Yoga by I.K. Taimni. For the others you’ll have to grope around on your own. I don’t have particular preferences.

Thanks @InnerAthlete

I love how you describe this! Thank you

Yoga means connection.
Get connected.

Hello,
As you have said that you are very inclined towards learning yoga and you want a spiritual teacher.Yoga is the unification of body spirit and mind together where mind and spirit play a substantial role as well as the body.So spiritual inclination with the help of yoga awakens your latent potential of mind unified with the purification of the body leading to a blissful and healthy state of being.This spiritual unfoldment through kundalini awakening and chakra Meditation may bring wonders to one's life.I am a psychic,Astrologer and Kundalini blessed individual who can help you through the process.You can contact me on my mail shoubhagyakundli@gmail.com