How important is chanting to your yoga practice?

Greetings and salutations

I practice and teach at a number of studios.
Some in environments that request that teachers not chant.
Some that leave chanting to the discretion of the teacher.
And some that chant before, after, and spontaneously during classes.

I’ve noticed hints of bias but by and large it remains a topic not up for discussion.
I’ve noticed some non-chanters becoming anxious, even upset when chanting was brought into a session.
I’ve noticed some chanters becoming anxious, even upset when non-chanters requested a chant free session.

What say you?

FYI I selected anonymous voting so I will not know who voted.

Where’s the option for indifferent?

snap Good point JSK sadly can’t edit

What is the in-class behavior during chanting that accompanies “indifferent”, pray tell?

Teacher: "Ok class, let’s chant the gayatri mantra before beginning our asanas"
Student: “whatever…”
[participates in chanting]

Teacher: "Ok class, we’re not going to chant the gayatri mantra before beginning our asanas"
Student: “whatever…”
[participates in not chanting]

Nice!

Yeah I might have placed an on the fence wording instead of uncomfortable to add a neutral middle.

The Gayatri is a fine choice of mantras for the example. One might say it “is” yoga. It is the very essence of the practice. Given by Vishwamitra in the Rig (Rg) Veda is asks that the consciousness be illumined by the practice.

For the student who does not have interest in light being cast in the corners of their consciousness where their ignorance makes its home (or is indifferent), I can completely understand avoiding it or not avoiding it.

My personal preference for those who come to me to learn is to not ask for something in which they have no interest or see no inherent benefit to them as evolving human beings. I would not chant just for the sake of chanting nor would I ask students, either directly or indirectly, to do so without intention.

I suppose the context would depend on the student’s path.

For the Advaita, I would say that my example would be fitting.

For the Hatha student, not so much.

Then much of it depends on the teacher. For those who see chanting as anything more than a transient object to their practice, I find it hard to take them seriously. You can chant seed mantras and biji mantras until you lose your voice and nothing in your life will change if you don’t change your behavior first.

You can chant seed mantras and biji mantras until you lose your voice and nothing in your life will change if you don’t change your behavior first.
If one only views mantra from a cognitive perspective that would be spot on.

Hey do you want to learn yoga from experts? we are at Arhanta yoga offers yoga teacher training online at an affordable price, for more information you can visit our website.