How Many Times Per Day

Is there a maximum number of times per day a person can have a Yoga practice. Is there any benefit to practicing more then once per day? Is there diminishing returns?

I am considering a morning practice 1/2 hour, lunch hour practice and an evening hour practice. Would this be too much?

I am hoping for more benefit with more practice, but I’m not sure if it really works that way. My main goal is increased flexability.

Michael, if you are talking about purely physical practice your body will tell you when you’ve done enough. My personal feeling is that twice a day is sufficient but you must do what works for you.

Yoga is more than just the physical. It can be all day or just minutes. Might I suggest that for your morning routine you do your physical work as usual and then at the end add in some meditation and focus work? A brief 1/2 hour of meditation will ground you beautifully for the rest of your day and you will be amazed at how much more flexible you will be at your evening practice if you are more centered and grounded throughout your “work” day.

I am finding that 2 times per day is as much as I can realisticly do without creating undue fatigue. I have not added in extended meditiation yet. However, I am interested to learn more about meditation’s effect on flexibility.

maybe 2 or 3 days a week…
thats what i do…

You could split up your practice.

if you practice 3 times, do asanas in one, meditation in another, and then pranayama in another. or even some combination of all three. this will help keep the practice fresh and prevent fatigue.

maybe 5 or 6 days a week.

You will know when it is too much. I would try not to exhaust yourself today so that you cannot practise tomorrow.

You can practise yoga whenever you have an empty stomach so you have plenty of opportunities. It is nice to be regular.

If I were to split it up during the day then perhaps I would do it like this:

Sun salutations and standing postures in the morning

Sun salutations before lunch to stimulate digestion. Baddha Konasana and Virasana are good for after lunch. They are, I think the only two postures recommended for a full stomach. :slight_smile:

Evening - seated postures and inversions to refresh and prepare for tomorrow.

End with some meditation before you eat.

How is that?

if you practice 3 times it is not much according to yog shashtra a person do yoga 3 time in a day.

[QUOTE=dilipjoshi;15309]if you practice 3 times it is not much according to yog shashtra a person do yoga 3 time in a day.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I never knew that.

Hello Michael,

it is challenging to answer a question about benefit when the intention and benefits are not clearly stated. You say a primary goal is increased flexibility. This is best pursued through a stretching routine, stretching class or the like. If one’s intention is stretching these avenues are more efficient and direct for that (stated) purpose.

Yoga is lived it is not performed. Therefore it is “done” all day long. Asana (poses) are a tiny fragment of Yoga.

Ahhh but you seek a pragmatic answer. In the yogic context asana serves a purpose. Based on my studies, practice, teaching, et al that purpose is not stretching though it is completely possible that stretching is a by-product.

Muscle tissue should not be overly stretched. Presuming we are talking about asana (only) it is about stabilizing some things and mobilizing others. Therefore even in a context where we could agree it is about muscle fiber it is still not about flexibility. Becoming overly flexible is dangerous. In fact any seasoned yoga teacher will tell you that students who are too supple are at greater risk for damage than those who are stiff.

If after all this you are still focused only on flexibility AND you chose to utilize yoga asana for that purpose, then I’d advise a slow, gradual practice absolutely NOT over stretching or overdoing. Flexibility (of body and mind) have some value. Being overly attached to that flexibility (without a purpose for it) is actually counter to yoga itself.

[QUOTE=MichaelJ;14946]Is there a maximum number of times per day a person can have a Yoga practice. Is there any benefit to practicing more then once per day? Is there diminishing returns?

I am considering a morning practice 1/2 hour, lunch hour practice and an evening hour practice. Would this be too much?

I am hoping for more benefit with more practice, but I’m not sure if it really works that way. My main goal is increased flexability.[/QUOTE]

Two times a day is ok.
45 minutes each time.
REmember you should have not taken any food/liquid for last one hour.

The breathing you must mind. Yoga the sum of means mind & posture.