How to bend from hips and not back

Hello,

I am looking at improving my practice. After years of bad posture or maybe some other issue I tend to bend from my back and not hips. Can you please advise on how to avoid this from happening?

What all poses should I be practicing to correct this… I am aware that I would have to be patient and give it months (probably years) of practice.

How to avoid this…

The spine or back rounds due most likely to tight (or closed) hamstrings. The pull on the back of the pelvis preventing it from tipping forward.

For students in this situation an appropriate way to instill the feeling of Adho Mukha Svanasana would be to bend the knees (let go of the idea of rooting the heels even though that is “right”), press into the index finger and thumb mounds, and recoil the sitting bones back and up toward the top of the wall behind you.

In addition it appears that the distance between your hands is far wider than your shoulders AND the distance between your feet far wider than your sitting bones. This too can be adjusted, though it will not address the specifics you’ve broached in this post.

Work the hamstring opening in Supta Padangusthasana twice per day - morening and evening. Do three rounds of three breaths on each side (alternating) during each session. Ergo each sesion will consist of 9 breath on the left and 9 on the right. Use a strap and have your teacher instruct you in the three alignments and three actions of the pose.

And, of course, be patient.

Good advice from Inner Athlete as usual.

One observation I would make about the image above is that you have fallen into the trap of [I]end-gaining[I][/I][/I]. In your determination to get your heels to the ground you have sacrificed the rest of the pose. Getting the heels down is essentially the last phase of the pose but so many students want it from the start.

If you must have that feeling of the heels pressed into the floor you could place a block under the heels so you can concentrate on aligning the spine correctly.

Agreed.

Thanks a lot for your advise. I have already altered my practice. Yesterday I kept my focus on my back without worrying about touching my heels on the floor…

Try a wedge it is helpful for this and many other uses
Cheers imho

[QUOTE=Fixed;82846]Try a wedge it is helpful for this and many other uses
Cheers imho[/QUOTE]

How can I use the wedge? for which poses…

A wedge or a quarter round inserts under the heels. Both are designed to allow the heels to root when they are not rooting of their own volition due to this or that. Generally, the application of the wedge resembles this image. The round would go against the baseboard and the heels on the round.

It can go under the heels , (for your need )the hips and the hands and I am sure other inventive uses are around . It is versatile .
Cheers

I don’t disagree with stretching the hamstrings however I’d like to introduce an additional thought. It’s always possible that your “limitation” stems from something structural, not muscular. I’d suggest an evaluation by a physical therapist.

This is somehting that a partner or guru can really help with. To stay close and show you exactly which muscles should be moving.