How to chant OM as a bija Mantra?

Hello everybody,

I'm practising Japa Yoga for a while and recently I produced a little video with the OM chanting and the text of Mandukya Upanishad. While exercising for this video I wondered if it is better to do the chanting with eyes closed or opened.

What do you guys think about it? I experienced that I could have more attention to meditate on the verses of Mandukya Upanishad with eyes opened. And it seemed to me that also the sound of the mantra uttering was more sensitive with eyes opened. How do you practise japa yoga?

Alina

The practice that involves Om as per Mandukhya Upanishad is more than Japa Yoga. It is meditation with its meaning. with given letters of AUM superimposed on corresponding states of consciousness namely waking, dreaming, and deep sleep. You can find more on this at Classic yoga.

Any japa or meditation yields better when performed with closed eyes, if not for adepts.

If you feel good, more focused and inward keeping eyes open then you can do so.

Eyes are not important. They are just tools. You use it or not is your choice. What matters is how much deep you can dive into yoga. Anything that takes you deep is your path.