How to get back on the mat

I’m sitting here in this coffee shop, my back hurting, sleepy and on a number of medications I honestly just wish i didn’t have to be on. This is not where I was 5 years ago. I was introduced to yoga by a friend in 2010 and immediately fell in love with the practical and also transcendental nature of developing a practice and deepening that practice in the context of a wonderful community of people on the same path. I was practicing daily whether personally or in class. This went on for about a year and a half. One of my teachers approached me to ask if I had any interest in eventually teaching. I expressed interest and was invited to intern with her and eventually enroll in a local 200hr ryt program. I began studying under my teacher and eventually began to teach a few beginner classes, all while maintaining my personal and community practice daily. I was living and breathing yoga and I can’t remember a time before or since then when I felt better in every aspect of living. Mind, body, spirit.
Unfortunately I had a weird falling accident after about a year of teaching beginner classes in which I injured my kidney pretty severely. I had internal bleeding and swelling. I spent about a week in the hospital waiting for things to stabilize. I was eventually discharged and left the hospital in pain. It was clear that I wouldn’t be bending at the waist any time soon. Twists were out. Inversions were out. Honestly most of my yoga practice was just not possible which is honestly understandable. I figured I would recover and pick up where I left off slowly and sensibly.
From that point on life began to take a different path. Regrettably I never regained the practice I had. Now, 40 pounds packed on, soreness and pain not related to the accident, and not feeling the best emotionally and spiritually, I am aware of my desperate need to get back on the mat. I just don’t seem to know how to start again. It is literally like being a beginner all over again…which is beautiful in some senses…and too frustrating in others. I would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom. I fear if I don’t get back to a personal practice that I am seeing a trend at least bodily that may continue for years to come. Help!

3 Months ago I slipped a disk. It was so painful. I was in constant pain all throughout the day and all throughout the night. I had to sleep in a separate bed from my wife because of my grunting and turning every five minutes. I was on tons of medication. Needless to say that I couldn’t practice any yoga. Even sitting down to meditate was too painful. About 4 or 5 weeks in to it I notice a shift in myself and I didn’t like. The way your feeling now is similar to how I felt. I was honestly was scared to get started again. Oh I forgot to mention that I hurt myself practicing yoga. But I knew I would feel the physical and every other type of pain longer if I didn’t get going again.
So my advice to you is to start. Get back at it. Go in to cautiously. Take beginner classes and listen to your body. If you can’t do a pose, don’t. If you can only do 5 minutes today do 5 minutes.
I hope this helps.
Please excuse any grammar issues. I wrote this on my phone.

Absolutely.
I also suggest you to try Acupuncture and cupping massage.
They relieve blocked energy flow from surgeries.
Remember that human body is very flexible.
If you could gain weight, you could also lose it.(Checkout Youtube videos of moms who lost baby wright).
Start slow but be consistent.
Try doing Yin or Restorative Yoga if regular Yoga styles are too much for you.

Take Care!

1 Like