How to tell if a yoga teacher training is good?

I am looking to become a certified yoga teacher but I am overwhelmed with how many yoga teacher trainings there are out there. How do I decide which to go with? I don’t even know where to begin.

1 Like

Hi EbonyYogi,

First of all check your budget and come up with objective of becoming a “certified yoga teacher”. Some may want to have another certificate and some want to become a yoga teacher to teach at another studio and some may want to start their own studio. In most of the cases you want to get a certificate which is valid and widely recognized. Yoga Alliance is one of the most popular choices as these days yoga schools/studios are asking for it.

Learning from a certified school or having a certificate doesn’t mean that you are very good yoga teacher. It depends quite a lot on “the yoga teacher” who is teaching you and his/her experience. And your capability and willingness to learn.

Yoga teacher training is available in almost every country. And few famous destinations are Goa, Rishikesh and Dharamshala in India, Bali in Indonesia and few places in Thailand. Bali is the most expensive and Thailand is cheaper than Bali and Goa in India is almost 1/3rd to 1/4th in price. Rishikesh and Dharamshala are much cheaper than Goa. In Bali non-residential training is around USD3K-3.5K and on top of that food and accommodation charges. Whereas in Goa you can have residential training for around USD1300 and in Rishikesh and Dharamshala you can get it around USD1000 with accommodation and food.

Above all this teacher plays a big role. Check who the teacher is and what his experience is. What ex-students are talking about him/her? If possible get some contact details of ex-students and talk to them before finalizing.

I hope this helps.

Meera

1 Like

Do you go to regular classes? Just one teacher or several?

Observe your teachers teaching skills, ask questions to the teacher…ask yourself "is this a good teacher? are the adjustments he/she gives helpful/appropriate? are the demos clear? are verbal instructions clear and helpful? is my teacher teaching me or just showing off? does the teacher answer your questions honestly/clearly? "

If the answers you come up with are positive, then ask that teacher where he/she did the training or if he/she can advise you on where to go, what to read etc.

Also when looking for a TTC choose one that asks for some minimum requirements from the attendees such as at least 3 years regular yoga practice, a regular home practice as well as classes, a reading list to be read before start of course.
Check if everyone passes just because they paid for the course…or is there a final exam which some might fail…will you be tested on your teaching skills as part of the course & exam.
Avoid any TTC that allows people new to yoga to join.

Good luck

To add to the above:

Even if you pick at school that doesn’t live up to its reputation, the real learning and application begins after you graduate and then continues.

I agree with yogacambodia. Definitely a solid regular practice needs to be a pre-requiste and I won’t bother with a school that doesn’t ask for it.

Also, do you have an instructor that you really enjoy attending classes with? I would ask him or her where they were trained. And in doing so ask what they liked, what they didn’t like and what they would do differently. Talk to lots of people and instructors that have personal credit with you (you’ve seen their work- or attended their class and seem knowledgeable and experienced)

Again agreeing with Lotusgirl! the learning begins when you start teaching!

Thank you all for your wonderful insight!

A good yoga trainer is one that helps you understand why and how you do the excercis and lets you experience the effects , not only talk talk. You will have to feel a connection with the teacher , a good teacher for one is not the right teacher for the other . You’ll have to be able to open your mind to her/him in order to gain knowledge. Good luck !

surf yoga retreats Portugalyoga retreats Europeyoga retreats spain

Lots of great advice above :smiley:

Also make sure to read through this guide on “How to choose the best yoga teacher training for you

There are lots of great tips to help you understand what to look for in a teacher as well as a yoga school.

no matter how good the teacher training actually is, if the yoga style or technique applied doesn’t really suit you or not the one you’ve been practicing on, then it would look bad for you. some ppl consider the cheaper price and time, eventually go for the unfamiliar yoga method

So many great answers here!

I agree that finding a teacher you like and then asking where they got their training would be a good start. If your preferred teacher(s) trained in your town or nearby, but not in a studio you are familiar with, go and get a feel for the studio.

One distinct advantage of training in your town, or in a studio near you, is that you will have a good chance of getting your own class after you complete your training requirements, or perhaps the studio will support you as a teacher-in-training, and this makes that first step into teaching much less daunting.

All the best to you! Do what you love!

This has to be an objective question, cause you can say a yoga teacher is good just because you have a mutual understnding or maybe a close a friend then thatll change your perspective of a good teacher.

• A good yoga teacher, is sensitive with his/her studens feeling both mentally and physcally
  • A good yoga teacher, is someone that has only one goal and it is for the welfare of his/her students.
  • A good yoga teacher is a giver, generous not with any material thing but time.

These are just some of the characteristics of being a good yoga teacher.

Learning and practicing yoga is also a spiritual experience and hence it requires the right environment. A yoga school located in a peaceful location and stress-free environment is best to pursue yoga teacher training.
Personal attention matters the most when you are learning yoga or anything for that matter. In a really big batch, yoga teachers and trainers are not able to give personal attention required to master the complex art. The batch size has to be optimum, not too small and not too large…

Dear EbonyYogi,
I am a yoga teacher, successfully running a yoga school in Rishikesh, India by the name Satyam Vedic Yoga School. My Students have written the testimonial on my site. You can check their testimonials and even contact them about me for the same. Om Om.

Is there anyone who tell me how to check real reviews of yoga teacher training in Rishikesh ?

Going far beyond asana practice or ‘yoga as exercise’, Yoga Teacher Trainings Perustrong text will guide you to attune to your inner voice, your higher self, and your soul’s deepest desire.

Hi Ebony Yogi,
Rishikesh, India is the best place to learn yoga as it holds the title of yoga capital of the world. Here, not only devotees come cleanse their bodies and souls but yoga enthusiasts visit here to quench their thirst for learning yoga essentials.

I recommend you to enroll in 200 hours yoga teacher training course of EKATTVA YOGSHALA! Their teachers are quite experienced and also train their students according to one’s learning abilities.
Thank you!

Professional yoga teachers have many certificates, including the completion of various courses. This is an excellent indicator of an experienced coach. If you read Macbeth, then you can remember that every teacher there was a certain diploma that indicated his level of professionalism. You can read about this in the example of an essay on the site https://samples.edusson.com/macbeth/. The same principle works with yoga trainers. Of course, this is not always the main indicator, but it is a great way to determine a good coach if you don’t know anything about him.

Like 98℅ of yoga teachers just keep you and class around because they need to keep their job up and running.

They keep you like that for years.

Then you die.

6 Essential Elements That Make Yoga Teacher Training Program a Good Investment

Yoga teacher training is the best platform to get the knowledge of teaching the art of yoga and this is the reason why there are a lot of yoga teacher training programs around the world.

There are many yoga teachers who have their own yoga school or they teach yoga classes in their own studio. If you also have that intention of opening your own yoga studio or teach yoga classes at your own studio, then you can take advantage of the yoga teacher training program.

The yoga teacher training program is the perfect way to learn all the required skills and the training will make you aware of the current trends and the upcoming changes. If you have any interest to start your own yoga school, then you can take benefit from this training and make it successful.

Yoga teacher training program is beneficial for the individuals who have the passion to become a yoga teacher. However, it is not the best decision if you are just a beginner. There are many yoga teachers who are just a beginner and the only reason to join a yoga teacher training program is to get the certificate and recognition.

But, if you have the passion and the interest to be a good yoga teacher, then you should not hesitate to join a good yoga teacher training program. In this article, I will discuss six essential elements that will make a yoga teacher training program a good investment.

1. The quality of the training

The quality of the training is the most important element that will make the training a success. You will not get a certificate if you have taken a bad training. In this training, you will learn the required skills and you will also learn how to teach the art of yoga.

This is the basic requirement for the yoga teachers and if you are a beginner, you will definitely be benefitted from the training.

1. Location of the training

The location of the training will play a vital role in making your training a success. You will have a chance to live in the training center and it will make your training more beneficial.

If you are a beginner, you will learn from the experienced yoga teacher and you will get a chance to get more information about the yoga.

1. The duration of the training

The duration of the training will also make a difference. You will have a chance to stay in the training center for a longer period of time and you will also get a chance to interact with the teachers.

The training will also help you to get the knowledge of the current trends and you will get a chance to learn more about the future trends in the field of yoga.

1. The qualification of the trainer

The qualification of the trainer is also an essential element that will make the training a success. The trainer has the experience of teaching the art of yoga and you will get a chance to interact with the trainers who are already teaching.

1. The type of yoga

The type of yoga is also an important factor that will make the training a success. You will get a chance to learn the ashtanga, vinyasa, hatha, restorative yoga Etc.