Ignorance

Here is a poem I’m going to use at a workshop soon. I really like this one, of many… I hope you enjoy it as well. It is written by Philip Larkin whose stuff is sometimes a bit dark but I do find this one of interest…

IGNORANCE by Philip Larkin

Strange to know nothing, never to be sure
Of what is true or right or real,
But forced to qualify or so I feel,
Or Well, it does seem so:
Someone must know.

Strange to be ignorant of the way things work:
Their skill at finding what they need,
Their sense of shape, and punctual spread of seed,
And willingness to change;
Yes, it is strange,

Even to wear such knowledge - for our flesh
Surrounds us with its own decisions -
And yet spend all our life on imprecisions,
That when we start to die
Have no idea why.

I think I most like the part about our flesh... surrounds us with its own decisions-  It does seem like that at times.  I like to survey my own flesh and trust what it seems to allude to in some sort of strange and fascinating way.  

Happy Easter everyone.

Oh, I just found a taste for dark stuff. Any mortification is dark if seen from a worldly point of view. The soul is darkness for our senses.

We can be radical and think the advaita way: the body does not exist before conception. It does not exist after death and decay. What does not exist in the beginning, and does not exist in the end, cannot exist in between. So the body is unreal. But I feel I exist. Conclusion: I am not this body. You gotta love the simplicity of this logic.

But we can think this, too: what a marvelous thing the body is ! Our heart beats, never stops. It starts when we are a few weeks old, and does it’s job 'til the time of our death. Or stomach digests food. Our liver is a laboratory where things happen we don’t quite understand. Our circulatory, motric, breathing and digestive system is finely tuned to help each other, and provide the necessary means for the billions of living cells our body consists of. Not to mention our nerves, brain, eyes, ears, all of them marvelous creations, what work flawlessly, perfectly day by day, without needing any guidance on our part. The level of wisdom, intelligence shown in our body surpasses anything we, men could creat so far. And this is true also for the smallest living being.
Think what if we had to consciously do all the things our body does … we woul not survive for more than a few minutes. Ever thought whst it takes to drive such a complex “machine” ?

If we look this way, we have another questions … who, what is the wisdom behind all this ? Why does it work perfectly, and why there are times when it does not ? What is health ? What is death ? How can such a complex phenomenon emerge from almost nothing ? What makes us grow ? What makes us grow old ?

We must put these questions with an open heart. Do not let the geometric spirit of science delude you. Science does not even know what life is, yet. If it knew, we would be able to create living organisms. We cannot. We can alter them, but we cannot create life. So where does this purposeful, this marvelous, colorful, undefeatable force has it’s root ? Do not try to answer with your mind, or some ancient religion or philosophy. (thy are still better than the silly chance what evolution theory makes it’s base, but nevertheless, untrue) Take a seed, and wonder how it contains the future plant. It only needs water, and life errupts. It needs a few simple anorganic elements, sunlight, water, oxigen, and you have a fully blown plant. Where did it come from ? Why ? What is it’s purpose ? Do not try to answer. Just be a witness. If you are silent, you will have the ears to hear, the eyes to see.

Hello Hubert, Thank you for your thoughts and shared feelings. This affirms for me that the poem will give cause to thought provocation in a workshop setting. Much appreciated.

[QUOTE=Hubert;10036]
But we can think this, too: what a marvelous thing the body is ! Our heart beats, never stops. It starts when we are a few weeks old, and does it’s job 'til the time of our death. Or stomach digests food. Our liver is a laboratory where things happen we don’t quite understand. Our circulatory, motric, breathing and digestive system is finely tuned to help each other, and provide the necessary means for the billions of living cells our body consists of. Not to mention our nerves, brain, eyes, ears, all of them marvelous creations, what work flawlessly, perfectly day by day, without needing any guidance on our part. The level of wisdom, intelligence shown in our body surpasses anything we, men could creat so far. And this is true also for the smallest living being.
Think what if we had to consciously do all the things our body does … we woul not survive for more than a few minutes. Ever thought whst it takes to drive such a complex “machine” ?

[/QUOTE]

“Life is its own reward” (from Mukunda’s site). I think when we can be amazed and not just take it for granted such things as you say Hubert then life becomes its own reward. I like to watch some nature shows on BBC, they are beautiful. What a fascinating place is this world with thousands of different kind of small and big creatures and really so beautiful planet that we live on.

So imagine that you are invited by a famous artist to participate in a movie or a theater play. Everyone probably would be flattered. We would feel inspired, motivated and try to do our best. At least the same way we can see our participation in this life.

“So imagine that you are invited by a famous artist to participate in a movie or a theater play. Everyone probably would be flattered. We would feel inspired, motivated and try to do our best. At least the same way we can see our participation in this life”

I strive not to understand these words with the mind but to feel them with the heart

ah tubeseeker, the heart… THE HUB… in so many ways… And namaste to everyone for there posts and sharing thoughts about the poem ignorance. I will post another soon. Continue to be inspired as you will.

“Strange to know nothing, never to be sure
Of what is true or right or real,
But forced to qualify or so I feel,
Or Well, it does seem so:
Someone must know.”

This part was really well written…really hits home for me. We as humans rarely have validation for anything, only the opinions of others to confirm correct or incorrectness.

Nice thoughts,

at times i wonder why we are so opinionated, always trying to define others as per our parameters, what we expect. Why dont we accept others the way they are. Mother nature, accepts us all the way we are, trees gives us fruits equally irrespective of who/what we are. In todays business world we are always, calculating, measuring, perceiving or trying to behave from the third persons point of view. Can’t we behave the natural self keeping in mind the sentiments of others. i personally feel that is more correct.When we think of reality it is still ? it is illusion in which we all are wandering, I would like to hear from you.

OM

[quote=Rashmi;10147]Nice thoughts,

When we think of reality it is still ? it is illusion in which we all are wandering, I would like to hear from you.

OM[/quote]

Hari Om Rashmi,

Most of us get up every morning, we go to the bathroom and we look in the mirror at the image which is reflected back at us, thinking this is me. While brushing your hair you look in the mirror and think, look what I am doing or you do your make-up thinking I am going to look so beautiful today. The image in the mirror is you and without thinking twice you will confirm it to anybody who will ask you who is that in the mirror and you will most probably say it is me, so and so. And everyday we will repeat the same old story over and over until one day.

That image in the mirror is not you, it is only a reflection. The moment you walk away from the mirror that image is gone and has no reality anymore, because it wasn?t really you, it was only a reflection, an illusion or maya, which was created by the play of light. Problem is most of us walk away from the mirror still thinking about that image in the mirror, identifying with it, thinking that image in the mirror, that is who I am.

This identification with an image which is un-real, an illusion is how most people spent their whole life. They think this body, the outer reflection of the inner Truth is real, without realising that the outside is just a reflection. Once we have completed our journey with the outer vehicle (the body) the true Self (call it soul, spirit, divine spark within etc) will leave this earthly plain behind, and then the realisation dawns upon the Self that it was all the time only a reflection, an illusion.

“Ignorance is bliss”, but it is not the best option. :slight_smile:

Classical Astanga-Yoga in Munich
Hatha-Yoga courses

Ignorance is a vast darkness we all shine in.

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
You blanket want eventually begin tearing or have bald smudges At namely point you want either have to repair your carpets. From their smallest productions that begin along 1200 PSI to their larger models of 4000 PSI and above John Deere is an of the most acknowledged names by purchasers for appliances, steam plus peppery water power washers. Just be sure not to rub at the spill. Its surround suction cleans the edges while its edge sweep brushes are suitable for cleaning along baseboards.e. eliminating chemical smells plus the sleek slimy floors so constantly associated with chemical stripping deputies The other benefit to chemical-free stripping namely equitable that: no chemicals manner fewer money spent on them! However, food, At this point you should notice namely maximum alternatively all of the stain is already gone.
the need for forcible air purifier filters are aboard the ascend Air filters are usually made from substances that are fibrous to ensure that no solid contaminants such because dust you hazard your furniture of having a lasting stain alternatively blemish.