Inversions?

I have a 63 year old male student; very enthusiastic and committed. Had a very mild stroke 12 months ago, in recovery from prostate cancer-----radiation seed treatments. Is currently on no medication whatsoever. He is a soft person, lanky, thin and very open BUT won’t listen to directives. He insists on doing Kapalabhati, even when I instruct him not to. I try to get him to focus exclusively in very gentle, audible intelligent Ujjaye Pranayama and steer him to Restorative Yoga. But his wonderful enthusiasm is his guiding force. He insists on Sirsasana and full arm balance and handstand----he even wants to do it to “get to the bottom of his fear thing.” I steer him away from all inversions. Have had him sign another medical release and waiver as I am very nervous about his condition. Obviously, this guy won’t slow down. I suspect that he is unconsciously driven by the time factor in his life urge these days and wants to “accomplish” as much as possible. He has a winning way and is very authentic, no negative energy that is visible. Shouldn’t he NOT be doing inversions? I always use props and a pranayama pillow with him for Shavasana and he goes deeply but wants a more active practice and the challenge of inversions. I’d appreciate any advice and guidelines you can offer.

J

J, there is a need to clarify the intention of practices for this man. Pranayama is for the purpose of making the breath subtle and prolonged (Yoga Sutras II, 50). Kapalabhati is for the purpose of purifying the upper body and helping to remove suppressed kapha, mucous and weight. Headstand is for the purpose of increasing pitta, and can purify anger. If his desires is to achieve other goals than these from these practices is unrealistic. One can certainly reach Chicago from St. Louis via Los Angeles and Miami but it is not efficient. All the enthusiasm and positivity will not make up for lack of guidance. One must gain insight and see that what you experience from practice is due both to your imbalances as well as not following guidance. For those imbalances to be corrected the practice needs to be directed to those methods that can achieve the goals he has. As it is his practice will make him aware of the fear but not resolve it. For removing fear gentle pranayama and long forward bending can promote balance in vata, which is the storehouse of all fear. Fear is also due to misconceptions and illusory thinking. This portion of fear is removed by going deep into meditation.