Is 200 hour yoga teacher training worth the money?

Is it worth the expense to do a 200 hour yoga teacher training? Or should I just save up and do one of the longer trainings?

[QUOTE=jasondall22;83355]Is it worth the expense to do a 200 hour yoga teacher training? Or should I just save up and do one of the longer trainings?[/QUOTE]

There a lot of other questions you need to ask yourself. What are your goals? Fulfillment or paying the rent? Are you a good yoga student? Who is doing the training? What makes a good Hatha yoga teacher? There must be many more . . .

YG

Hello Jason
It is a commonly asked question,

You have to understand one thing that the 200 hour training can not magically transform someone in a great yoga teacher, but it can give you a lot of important information,skills to start teaching.

I completed my 200 hour yoga teacher training at Arhanta Yoga Ashram and it was a life changing experience. I started to teach immediately after coming back.

I learnt about proper alignments, how to correct students, how to give clear instructions etc etc , also we had every day 3 hour teaching practice in groups where we taught each other in group and teachers gave feed back and improvement suggestions afterwards. We also got different class structures etc, so in my experience i felt completely ready to teach at the end of the course, most of my co students are also started to teach right after the course and still doing very well,

But yes it took alot of hard work as it was huge amount of information and physically and mentally challenging, but worth it,

So in my opinion a good 200 hour course with good teachers is worth it.

depends on your goal. regular teacher in the regular yoga studio is allowed to teach with 200hr certification. If you are not intended to teach, it still might be a good place to learn, but i’d rather consider some other learning opportunities than 200hr program if you are not intended to teach

namaste

It seems some of the most notable yoga asana instructors in the USA are not certified, not to mention the three most influential asana routines in the world were developed by uncertified persons.

To be certified through Yoga Alliance, you must first complete 200 hour YTT before moving on to the 500 hour. So jumping right into a 500 hour program that is Yoga Alliance certified cannot be done.

Starting with the 200 hour YTT is best for many reasons. It is a wonderful introduction and gives you the basics. Even if you think you have the basics, trust me, you don’t. You gain very valuable info, insight and experience.

And as I’ve said many times, the real learning comes after YTT is over. A great journey is ahead.

Best of luck making your decision!

@ Ray,
You are so right!

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;83569]To be certified through Yoga Alliance, you must first complete 200 hour YTT before moving on to the 500 hour. So jumping right into a 500 hour program that is Yoga Alliance certified cannot be done. [/QUOTE]
As per Yoga Alliance guidelines, one can jump right into a 500-hour yoga teacher training program - [ul]Credentials for Yoga Teachers[/ul]

I stand corrected. Guess I skimmed over the “OR”!
Thanks for clarifying.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;83589]I stand corrected. Guess I skimmed over the “OR”!
Thanks for clarifying.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, LotusGirl. Loved your advice:

[ul][I]And as I’ve said many times, the real learning comes after YTT is over. A great journey is ahead.[/I][/ul]

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;83560]It seems some of the most notable yoga asana instructors in the USA are not certified, not to mention the three most influential asana routines in the world were developed by uncertified persons.[/QUOTE]

you are right… and 200hr or 500hr is garbage, a piece of paper, without personal commitment, teaching, personal practice of all 8 limbs, and additional study…etc

Yoga is a river flowing into the ocean of reality, enter the river and you’ll be carried along, if you have desire to establishing yourself with an organization/lineage than do so, mindful that human consciousness has a natural way of expanding with passing time, giving oneself a particular certificate/association does not denote a level of expertise/consciousness, label yourself whatever you like but allow the veils of Maya towards self-knowledge to drop away, know yourself correctly, there is no substitute/certificate for self-knowledge.

I would say yes it is worth it. You have time to assimilate what you have learnt before you take more training.

The time in between training is as important as the training. You have to explore the space between things.

[QUOTE=jasondall22;83355]Is it worth the expense to do a 200 hour yoga teacher training? Or should I just save up and do one of the longer trainings?[/QUOTE]

I would say wait! I just completed my 200-hour, and I found that my perspective on yoga changed drastically during this time. When you start to learn more about asana, meditation, other types of yoga that you have never tried before… this opens up a huge door for you!

I would recommend taking some time to find your voice, and most importantly, find a mentor who truly speaks to your journey, and take further training with them. You may be more picky about who you study with after 200 hours, and this is a great time to find the perfect fit.

Totally worth it!
Course it may be a huge investment risk to drop that kind of money and time on some studio/teacher you have never explored or practiced in/with.

I am still looking for one in India but it is so competitive and reactive I’m wary. Just look at the forum sticky. More’s the pity.

I took training at a studio that I had practiced in, with the teachers who’s style I enjoyed and honoured.

Approaching self discovery is wonderful for those who can. But solo sojourn’s are not for everyone.

I do not enjoy dancing alone much. I do not enjoy working out to video feeds.
I do enjoy the company, vibe and energy of similar and like minded groups.

I loved my training. Would do it again in a heartbeat. And will eventually get to India, likely when a ‘Western’ teacher I vibe with brings their training there.

It is a good question.

Yoga Teacher training is a serious and long process, but it's also extremely fun.

When you take on the training you're expected to already have some experience with yoga. You don't need to be able to do handstands, but should have a good understanding of what yoga is, and how you can incorporate it into your daily life.

With an online course, you gain control of your learning. You can study at your own schedule. You can replay the videos as many times as you want. Online learning provides flexibility and convenience if you don't have the possibility to travel away for a month long course.

Worldwide Accredited Certification

Our online yoga instructor training course is accredited with Yoga Alliance, International Yoga Association, International Yoga Federation and The CRKBO (The Netherlands)
Start your journey to become a certified yoga teacher with our Yoga Alliance accredited online 200-hour Hatha Yoga teacher certification course. With this course, you will develop all the necessary skills to start teaching yoga professionally. You will learn, how to instruct, adjust, correct, modify and structure a comprehensive yoga class. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an accredited certificate that enables you to start teaching yoga all over the world.