Is Himalayan Salt a Scam?

Dear friends,

you have probably heard about pink Himalayan salt… have you tried it? I’ve learned that it is hight in fluoride… and that fluoride is suppose to be bad for the body…as well as too much iodine in the salt…

here is the link that seems to list some valid researches and sources about this salt…http://www.poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/himalaya.html

I’m just confused… because I do not want to use the refined salt… and sea salt and himalayan salt seem to be a questionable substitute…:confused:

Natural sea salt is a good alternative. I’ve never heard of Himalayan salt until now. The natural and alternative food markets are ripe opportunities for enterprising scam artists. I have a friend who falls for every new natural ‘discovery’. If I say anything, he justs dismisses me as a sceptic. His newest thing are the ‘balance bracelets’. Oh boy!

Too much salt of any kind is bad for you…but choosing a less processed salt such as natural sea salt or pink Himalayan salt would be a little better.
Bear in mind that pink Himalayan salt is imported from the Himalayas…which is possibly very far from you(I do not know where you are) but the cost may be high due to the long distance travel of the salt…and consider the environmental impact of that…try buying a natural salt from as local as possible.

One day I saw a pot of Himalayan salt in the kitchen that my wife got, we discussed and we decided not to take some any more. I am of the opinion that it is better to use salt from the sea instead of exploiting the mineral resources of Himalaya for salt. It is not like if salt was rare on Earth.

Philippe

From what I understand, Sea Salt from the Dead Sea is one of the best sources for natural salt. I buy it at the green grocers for about $2 for 2 kg (about 4.5 pounds).

There are lots of sources for good sea salt, this is just one I happen to use and love.

Most probably a marketing scam. Salt isn’t bad for the body, just dont reach for the table salt. Opt for a sea salt which still contains it’s minerals. (And it tastes so much better!!)

well…the thing is that I do not understand a sh…in salt…So i can not tell the dead sea one from the morton chemicals:))

Salt is important. While too much salt is bad for your body, you need it in small quantities.

Attention though: the salt you find in a salt shaker or the salt most people cook with, is
REFINED SALT. It is not good. Refined salt is processed salt, as natural salt gets humidity on it when the weather is humid and becomes hard to use. Refinining stops this.

However, refining salt removes magnesium, one of the body essential minerals. It plays numerous roles: facilitates hundreds of biochemical reactions, protects against strokes,
cardiovacular diseases,diabetes, kidney diseases, Parkinson, ALS, etc.

Magnesium is found in the tissues, not in the blood, so a blood analysis will not tell you much. Tell that your lab !

The solution is to cook with sea salt, COARSE. How you do with your salt shaker…probably there are ways around it.

Well i bought himalay salt some time ago and i like it i even took some more to just taste it directly and this have never happened with normal tablesalt. So it tastes better i dont care if its good or not i dont use so much salt either so 1 jar of it will last a year maybe or more. And nothing is good in exess either.

[QUOTE=oak333;73008]Salt is important. While too much salt is bad for your body, you need it in small quantities.

Attention though: the salt you find in a salt shaker or the salt most people cook with, is
REFINED SALT. It is not good. Refined salt is processed salt, as natural salt gets humidity on it when the weather is humid and becomes hard to use. Refinining stops this.

However, refining salt removes magnesium, one of the body essential minerals. It plays numerous roles: facilitates hundreds of biochemical reactions, protects against strokes,
cardiovacular diseases,diabetes, kidney diseases, Parkinson, ALS, etc.

Magnesium is found in the tissues, not in the blood, so a blood analysis will not tell you much. Tell that your lab !

The solution is to cook with sea salt, COARSE. How you do with your salt shaker…probably there are ways around it.[/QUOTE]

There are 16 important elements in your body. The lack of anyone is a cause
for disease. Often neglected are magnesium and zinc.

I tend to like the refined salt better. I feel better knowing that I’m eating pure food, rather than foods with various metals inside it. That’s why I go for “pure” sodium chloride that does not have the iodine added. After all, salt in it’s purest form is sodium chloride.

I prefer to get my minerals from living organisms as it is already a part of the life cycle and has been filtered clean by other organisms before I take it in. I get my magnesium from leafy vegetables and nuts which are rich in it. And I get my zinc from red meats.

[QUOTE=th3yoga;74252] And I get my zinc from red meats.[/QUOTE]

RED MEAT is a curse. The recent World Cancer Conference in Paris has shown that with ample medical statistics.