Is Yoga Hinduism?

AGAIN - we have another contradiction - you say “I never said Buddhism was Hindu” but then you say it is “Nastika” which mean “Hindu heterodoxy”.

No, my linguistically challenged friend. Nastika means non-orthodox and non-vedic. Indian philosophy is divided into astika and nastika. The astika traditions are: Mimassa, Vedanta, Samkhya, Yoga, Nyaya, Vaseshika and they accept the Vedas. The Nastika tradition are: Buddha, Jaina, Charvaka. They reject the Vedas. They are not considered a part of Hinduism. They distinguish themselves from Hinduism.

So, I can take it that you are now backing down from your wild claim that “YOGA IS HINDUISM”.

Good for you.

Please provide evidence of your degree in philosophy - or is this going to fall into another one of your failed assertions?

I am getting used to them already!

Nastika means non-orthodox and non-vedic.

Yes - and what does non-orthodox mean? - HETERODOX

DUH!

Again- another information dump about astika and nastika AS IF I DID NOT KNOW

Buddhism is a Nastika tradition, which although they are not considered a part of Hinduism, Hindus VIEW THEM AS BEING A NON_CONVENTIONAL HINDU (non-vedic) tradition to varying degrees.

Although Buddhists etc. do claim to be separate - Buddha is a Hindu Avatar!!

This was just ONE example of how your claim fails - there are plenty more which I do not have the time to go into - you like reading so I hope you will keep it up.

Do you not get tired of arguing with yourself?

God Bless You

I loved your asertion in the other thread by the way that if you are with a swami - you are in safe hands!

You are a very trusting and simple soul - and you deserve merit for that alone.

When you are ready to discuss more grown up matters ina an adult way please do get back to me - in the meantime I am afraid I will have to IGNORE you.

If you have any other queries please do respond - otherwise I wish you well on your journey towards enlightenment.

God Bless

[QUOTE=Yogi Mat;56703]@Dwai - you are now at notch 2 - keep going like this and you could be my Guru sooner than you would like ;-)) - or maybe I will be yours ? In any case We appear to be shooting from the same place sir.

My yoga is authentic - and it appears from your initial responses that yours might be too.

I am wary of making any statments as to my exact attainments as this is counter productive in public forum.

My sources are authentic and there is as much baggage for Hindus as there are Christians, Americans, Rapists, Theives and Tibetans.

Please do not make the mistake of assuming I am like your western students.

In return I will not make the mistake of thinking that you are of the same simple mindset as SD and his cronies.[/QUOTE]

I did not ask for attainments…i did ask for you to share your sources of knowledge.
:slight_smile:
Regarding baggage, while it is true that people from dharmic cultures have baggage too, their baggage is attuned to the dharma. So they don’t have to swim against the proverbial current to be good practitioners. There are some universal human issues that everyone have to deal with…that notwithstanding dharma is not merely theology but a combination of phlosophy and tradition (samskriti, darshana and parampara). So one who has learn these from childhood obviously has a less difficult time practising dharma than one who has learnt something that is at times in diametric opposition to that locus standii

To be clear on one point, i am not a teacher of yog or anything ( albeit i used to teach technology at some point in my career). I am only making my observations from an insider’s perspective.

Let me ask you this, why do you dislike yoga and hinduism being considered non-separate?

A simple query on the definition of Yoga online:

Wiki:

The Sanskrit word yoga has many meanings,[11] and is derived from the Sanskrit root “yuj,” meaning “to control,” “to yoke” or “to unite.”[12] Translations include “joining,” “uniting,” “union,” “conjunction,” and “means.”[13][14][15] The word yoga may also derive from the root “yujir samadhau,” which means “contemplation” or “absorption.”[16].

About.com:

The word yoga means “union” in Sanskrit, the language of ancient India where yoga originated. We can think of the union occurring between the mind, body and spirit.

British wheel of Yoga:

The Sanskrit word yoga is translated as ‘union’ between mind, body and spirit.

American Heritage dictionary:

•also Yoga A Hindu discipline aimed at training the consciousness for a state of perfect spiritual insight and tranquillity.
•A system of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind.

Hindi, from Sanskrit yogaḥ, union, joining.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:

One of the six orthodox systems (darshans) of Indian philosophy, which has had widespread influence on many schools of Indian thought. It is better known through its practical aspect than its intellectual content, which is largely based on the philosophy of Samkhya. Holding that the evolution of the world occurred in stages, Yoga attempts to reverse this order so that a person reenters his or her state of purity and consciousness.

Oxford Companion to the body:

The word ‘yoga’ refers primarily to an ancient Hindu spiritual tradition intended to overcome the narrow sense of individual selfhood, though its usage ranges from the very general to the specific and highly technical. The word is probably derived from the Sanskrit root yuj, which implies a yoke or harness, invoking the notion that when the ox and the cart are connected via the yoke, the resulting complex is greater than the sum of its parts. In its most general sense, yoga involves harnessing or integrating the forces of embodiment (mind, body, and spirit) in order to transcend embodiment.

Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy:

The Hindu school, associated with the school of Samkhya as the practical method for achieving the understanding of the self. Yoga is the discipline (or ‘yoke’) necessary for the pure subject to recognize itself, and separate itself from the empirical reality with which it is confused. Various kinds of involvement with the ego and desires and aversions are responsible for ‘fluctuations of the mind-stuff’ that can only be overcome by training.

Abc of yoga.com:

Yoga is an ancient Indian body of knowledge that dates back more than 5000 years ago. The word “Yoga” came from the Sanskrit word “yuj” which means “to unite or integrate.” Yoga then is about the union of a person’s own consciousness and the universal consciousness.

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged

1. (Philosophy) (Non-Christian Religions / Hinduism) a Hindu system of philosophy aiming at the mystical union of the self with the Supreme Being in a state of complete awareness and tranquillity through certain physical and mental exercises
  2. (Philosophy) any method by which such awareness and tranquillity are attained, esp a course of related exercises and postures designed to promote physical and spiritual wellbeing See Astanga yoga, hatha yoga, power yoga, raja yoga, Sivananda yoga
    [from Sanskrit: a yoking, union, from yunakti he yokes]

Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary :

yoga
n yoga [ˈyougə]
1 any of several systems of physical exercises based on a Hindu system of philosophy and meditation.

The definitions are unanimous that Yoga is a Hindu practice and philosophy and comes from the root yuj meaning union, joining, connecting in the context of the connection of mind-body spirit, lower self to higher self, indivividual consciousness to higher consciousness.

Note how when I asked Yogi Mat for credentials, he ignored the question. I asked him again, and he’s still not answered it :wink:

There are several such trolls online who go around underming the knowledge of other people but when they themselves are put under the scanner, they have nothing to show.

Yogi mat you are unequivocally a retard. You don’t have more than knowledge about Yoga or Hinduism than we do. You have zero credentials. All you have is a big mouth and a computer :wink:

Again- another information dump about astika and nastika AS IF I DID NOT KNOW

You obviously didn’t, otherwise you would not confuse Buddhism for Hinduism.

Buddhism is a Nastika tradition, which although they are not considered a part of Hinduism, Hindus VIEW THEM AS BEING A NON_CONVENTIONAL HINDU (non-vedic) tradition to varying degrees.

Although Buddhists etc. do claim to be separate - Buddha is a Hindu Avatar!!

Here is where you show your ignorance again. Allow an expert in Hinduism to educate you, despite the fact that you are mentally retarded and will not learn.
Buddha is accepted as an avatar but he is called a deceiver, that is that Buddhism philosophy is a lie that he told in order to get people to practice religion again.

Buddhism is considered heterodoxy in Hinduism i.e., a heresy. In the same way Christianity considers Gnosticism a heterodoxy and heresy.

Buddha and Buddhism, can you spot the difference :wink:

Do you not get tired of arguing with yourself?

God Bless You

You are not projecting again are you dearest :wink:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;56771]No, my linguistically challenged friend. Nastika means non-orthodox and non-vedic. Indian philosophy is divided into astika and nastika. The astika traditions are: Mimassa, Vedanta, Samkhya, Yoga, Nyaya, Vaseshika and they accept the Vedas. The Nastika tradition are: Buddha, Jaina, Charvaka. They reject the Vedas. They are not considered a part of Hinduism. They distinguish themselves from Hinduism.[/QUOTE]

I am a reader of this thread. I really like various points given out by many contributors. My point is that “Yoga is Hinduism” and I accept this with pride.

Dear SD sir,

Please note that it is a common practice in certain part of the world to take ancient wisdom and plagiarize, patent or use it to write a book on the subject, like it happened to haldi, basmati rice and DC’s books that take the essence of many vedic scriptural to portray as his own views and perceptions. He also tactically distorts them as facts to sell more copies to the western media.

In certain part of the world people love distortion and do not want the truth and yet preach truth. They preach truth to others to subdue the opponents and when it comes to applying it to the self they become materialistic.

The web world is full of imposters with pseudo names and for all you know, one fine day, you may find that one of the forum members has taken all the contents of this thread, nicely paraphrased as his/her own and published it as a book to win the New York Times best seller award.

I think many times people are going back and forth in accepting and not accepting the fact in their own postings to make the scholars like you and others to give out more concrete facts and evidences. It is a tactics called “Brain Storming” which is being used in this thread.

Some posting are getting too personal to prick the ego of the other person and make him/her yell out more details and facts. Such background processes in their head may be the driving force to not to clearly look at the fact and keep meddling the pond back and forth to see how much valuable information they can get out of this thread to publish their own treatise on Yoga and Hinduism and perhaps without any contest from the real contributors like you and your friends. They keep saying that you will be put in their ignore list but yet they do not do so, because they want more and more facts to encash them for their future material benefits.

I want to highlight a point that Dwai made earlier because Yogi mat’s performance in this thread has underscored something very common about the Western yogis who have posted in this thread(not all, but enough to make a generalization) It appears yoga has not made any of these Western yogis better people. They claim to practice Yoga and understand its philosophy but look at their behaviour on the Yoga forum - constant insults, patronizing people, arrogance, ignorance. Yogi mat and Indra Deva, and others I am not going to name, have really epitomized this. I want to say based on this common display from Western yogis in this thread, that the reason Western yogis do not get the benefits is because they are not Hindus. There is something about Hindu culture which allows us to appreciate Yoga more and practice it more effectively. So we do get the benefits.

I am really now moving to the position that Yoga has to be practiced in its original Hindu context for one to appreciate its full scope and get the benefits of it. Otherwise, you get Yogimats and Indra Devas.

Thank you Sahasara. I see your point. I have no problem in people using my material, and not giving me credit. All of my knowledge is open source. That is because it is not my knowledge, I learned everything from the Vedas. If somebody wants to compile my posts and write a book that becomes a bestseller - more power to them. I know what I am going to do - I am going to find a guru and start my Yoga sadhana properly. Then I will gain REAL knowledge.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;56789]Thank you Sahasara. I see your point. I have no problem in people using my material, and not giving me credit. All of my knowledge is open source. That is because it is not my knowledge, I learned everything from the Vedas. If somebody wants to compile my posts and write a book that becomes a bestseller - more power to them. I know what I am going to do - I am going to find a guru and start my Yoga sadhana properly. Then I will gain REAL knowledge.[/QUOTE]

You are most welcome Sir. If you find one good guru please keep me on the loop. I am finding it really difficult or impossible to find one, sitting in this part of the world. Also, I am not clean of my karmic effects that I can evolve and enlighten myself like Ramana Maharishi.

Go back to your swamis and ask them if it is correct to assert that “yoga is hinduism” and see what they say.

They will say “yes it is”. Hurray for you - you were right alll along !! yippee !

But wait - ask them:-

WHAT IS YOGA?

I am not a gambling man but I would wager they will NOT say straight: “It is Hinduism”

And when you ask them: WHAT IS HINDUISM?

Again - they will not answer; “It is Yoga”.

Rather, they will give you a COMPLEX solution similar to the one I gave you - in that each can be best described notionally in terms of translated meanings and with reference to a controversial historical narrative and we all call these Hinduism (H) and Yoga (Y) - TWO concepts - perhaps like “vehicle” and “coach”.

So, we have two different words to describe TWO different concepts - Hinduism(H) and Yoga(Y) and I have complained that their relationship is not a STRICT EQUIVALENCE in the way that you want to assert but rather what we might charitably refer to as a COTERMINOUS RELATIONSHIP - in that they circumscribe a very similar and yet a hazy horizon.

Other people will want to lift yoga from its roots and not refer to Hinduism at all, and this is perhaps where we can both agree - this would be a mistake.

To use the sentence: “we went to the beach in a vehicle” is VALID.

We can also say: “we went to the beach in a coach” and this is VALID

But - notice that in the first sentence this does not NECESSARILY mean that the vehicle is a coach - just that it might be.

If we compare the second sentence not only did we go to the beach in a coach but we can also say that we went to the beach in a vehicle - and we (in both cases) we can say a lot more besides - such as “we did not fly to the beach” etc. if we want.

This type of logic is not always easy to spot - there is ENTAILMENT and DEPENDANCE and a few other logical connectives missing from your assertion: “Yoga is Hinduism” and this is why I say it fails.

I have given you the reasons why Hinduism and Yoga have been categorised in relation to other less controversial topics - such as “plants” and “lotus”; “english” and “cricket”.

These relationships are similar because although cricket originated in England, if it is being played in India by Indian cricketers it is less difficult to assert that it is English - but notice that it is still cricket even if the players are talking in an Indian dialect and the match is in Bangalore with Indian umpires and an Indian crowd.

Again - you are frustrated because you don’t fully accept the logic and backslide into racist taunts and european conspiracy theories about AIT and the translations of the Vedas.

We also have to notice that there is nothing particularly English about striking a bat with a ball - even in the way that it is played in the game of cricket.

So, to talk about the claim that “Cricket is English” we have to look at what it means for something to be English - and what it means for something to be cricket.

This is why you are baffled by my response which is “Cricket is English” but also “Cricket is not English” - we must discuss the context of those statements to be able to offer the reader any succourance…

And this is what I have been wanting to discuss with you and as yet - we have not reached agreement mainly because you are unwilling to submit your claim to rigourous analysis and wish to persist with contentious ancient Indian history - in the same way I might talk about coins found from the the Iron Age in Britain with people holding sticks to try and prove that crickets tradition is actually older than we think from having read authoritative books about it such as the Wisden Almanac.

The point is that IN RELATION TO YOUR CLAIM that “yoga is hinduism” IT DOES NOT MATTER how old Hinduism is - or yoga - or where each was first practiced unless we are prepared to enter into a discussion about what each represents.

You have shown that you are either unwilling or unable to enter into a mature and intelligent discussion about Hinduism and yoga and continue to offer me information dumps from ancient Indian history to try and prove a point that is MOOT.

I do not want to read ancient Indian history for its own sake - but only in relation to how it might help us describe Hinduism and yoga - and as I already know about ancient indian history, about Hinduism and about yoga I can say that reading about them actually helps very little when it comes to actually being a Hindu or a Yogi.

Swamis will want to tell you - as I have - that both Yoga and Hinduism are vast collections in themselves and, like other religious traditions dovetail into what we know as Sanata Dharma (SD) in one way or another.

Here, you need to understand Sanata Dharma as an infinite concept, wheras Hinduism and yoga both have a strat dayte - and presumably an end date.

Neither one is universal or infinite in the same way Sanata Dharma is - they are both discrete sets of rituals, beliefs and practices that are related to each other - perhaps like brother and sister.

In a similar way od describing he realtionship notice how the father can be a father without having a particular son (in that he may have a daughter) but the son cannot be a son without a father.

So - it is necessary for you to look again at your logic and probably soften your hardline claim that “yoga is hinduism” to avoid further unecessary frustration for yourself and avoid marginalising the interests you are failing to represent in their entirety.

@SD - your posting numerous definition splays nicely into my theory that we can say nothing about yoga until we can agree ona definition - of whic there are many.

It is funny that your quote the British Wheel of Yoga as an authoritative source - they are perhaps the most imperialist and eurocentic organisation claiming to do yoga in the UK.

Look at their equity report on their website - you will be hard pressed to find any Hindus - most are white, physically able females that want to keep fir.

Nice try - FAIL

@Dwai:

their baggage is attuned to the dharma

Sounds great - but what exactly do you mean? - you are not making any sense - don’t make the same mistake SD makes of dumping information for the posters own benefit. It smacks of mental problems - like a patient rocking back and forth in an asylum quietly muttering to themselves.

I am sure you are not like that.

You seem a very intelligent person.

I have explained why I think there is no equivalence previously - this is not a personal issue I have either with SD or Hinduism or yoga - it is just good logic.

Thank you

@SD- please expand on the perogative term “western yogis” - do you mean someone who is white ? someone who lives outside India? or something else.

Is a man born in India, that has lived in America for thirty years and makes frequent travels to India a “western yogi” in your view.

This is going to be fun -

@Sahasrara Very good observation. Although not many would consider SD’s postings of commercial value as they go against the most affluent demographic that do not know that real yoga is offered freely by those that are authentic. If you have to pay for your yog a- it probbaly isn’t yoga - right SD?

The assertion that that Yoga is Hinduism was not a problem a few decades ago. In fact during that time, everybody knew Yoga was Hindu. Even today many official dictionary definitions call Yoga a Hindu system, practice or philosophy. Almost all of the definitions I cited agree.

Why is it a problem today? It is a problem today because Yoga is very popular in the world today, both its philosophy and practice - but this has given rise to two political problems

1. People of other religions practice Yoga today. It is an uncomfortable truth that Yoga is a Hindu philosophy and practice. Muslims especially have issued fatwas against it.
  2. Yoga is a massive multi-billion dollar industry. It will attract a wider market if it markets Yoga as a secular practice.

So we are seeing politically motivated reasons for why groups and individuals are now denying that Yoga is Hinduism. It is also the reason why even certain swamis and Hindu spiritual groups who are denying it is Hinduism and are marketing it as a science, philosophy and technology. The word “Hinduism” has become a liability for them. In doing so they can attract people of other religions and a wider audience.

I don’t care for the politics. All I care about is what is true. And the truth is Yoga is a Hindu tradition. This is what the reality is. Reality does not care for human politics.

@SD - I am still waiting for evidence of your philosophy degree - if you cannot provide it I am afraid I will have to discount your claim - just like much of whatever else you have posted.

I am starting to think you are a fraud and a coward but please feel free to post your evidence of your first class hours degree in philosophy and I will kneel down and bow to you without a second thought.

NOw - how can you refuse that offer SD?

@sd:

The assertion that that Yoga is Hinduism was not a problem a few decades ago. In fact during that time, everybody knew Yoga was Hindu. Even today many official dictionary definitions call Yoga a Hindu system, practice or philosophy. Almost all of the definitions I cited agree.

Why is it a problem today? It is a problem today because Yoga is very popular in the world today, both its philosophy and practice - but this has given rise to two political problems

We HAVE DONE THIS ALREADY - people also though the world was FLAT but most intelligent people are prepared to change their view when they are faced with more compelling evidence.

I am now losing patience with you.

You are a whisker away of being added to my ignore list - please be careful as your next response may be the last one I listen to - so make it a good one - try posting your first class honours degree in philosphy or say you will discuss the illogical aspects of your claim - otherwise I am afraid I will have to ignore you as you are just wasting my time - and yours too.

@SD- please expand on the perogative term “western yogis” - do you mean someone who is white ? someone who lives outside India? or something else.

Is a man born in India, that has lived in America for thirty years and makes frequent travels to India a “western yogi” in your view.

This is going to be fun -