Is Yoga Hinduism?

@SD - your posting numerous definition splays nicely into my theory that we can say nothing about yoga until we can agree ona definition - of whic there are many.

No they do not you retard :smiley: All those definitions generally agreed on what Yoga is. Almost all of them said Yoga comes from the Sanskrit root yuj meaning union or joining, and means the union of mind/body/spirit and connecting the lower self with the higher self. Exactly what I told you. Most of them said it was a Hindu practice

Oh my, am I going to have read for you now too?

You made it clear you do not listen to facts. But this does make you a retard in front of us.
You do not listen to facts, you don’t accept definitions, and you don’t care for history. Yep, you’re a retard :smiley:

@Sahasrara- you mention basmati rice in a way that feels contemptuous. Are you bothered that it is available in grocery stores outside India? Should grocery stores post signs insisting we acknowledge that basmati is Hindu? Am I to toss out my giant bulk bag of basmati rice, or are am I to mutter basmati’s heritage before each bite? Will it offend Hindus if I douse my basmati with worcestershire sauce? I think, regardless of the sensient level of argument on this topic, it boils down to ‘silly’, as opposed to basmati, which boils down to delicious.

I am starting to think you are a fraud and a coward but please feel free to post your evidence of your first class hours degree in philosophy and I will kneel down and bow to you without a second thought.

Yogi mat, I am not calling you a retard to insult you, I actually know you are a retard :smiley:
Do you really think I would scan my degree online which has my my real name on it, and information that can be used to identify me in real life on a public internet forum?

You really are a retard. I am putting you on ignore. I can’t believe I am saying it, but I would rather talk to Indra Deva :smiley:

Moving on.

It should be noted that if you review this thread and ignore all the discussion on politics, ideology and semantics and just look at the pure facts and nothing else, it is blatantly clear Yoga is Hinduism. The evidence is too overwhelming to deny it. I will summarize everything that has been presented so far:

1. Yoga is a Sanskrit word which is a sacred language of Hinduism. It means union or joining of the self with the higher self.
  2. The Vedas are the first texts that describe the philosophy and practice of Yoga. The Vedas are the oldest Hindu texts. Their form of Yoga is known as Vedic Yoga by scholars.
  3. All Hindu scriptures teach Yoga philosophy and practice. The bible of Hinduism the Bhagvad Gita is a treatise on Yoga. There are 18 chapters describing 18 yogas
  4. The first physical evidence of Yoga are seals from the Indus valley civilisation showing Yoga asanas. The Indus valley civilisation corresponds to the classical period of Hindu history when Patanjali was suppose to have lived.
  5. The official bodies of all religions agree that Yoga is Hinduism
  6. All Hindus gurus teach Yoga. It was Hindus gurus that first bought Yoga to the West
  7. Most offical definitions of Yoga in dictionaries state that Yoga is a Hindu philosophy and practice.

The evidence is so overwhelming that the fact that Yoga is Hinduism should not even be an issue.

Yogi mat, I am not calling you a retard to insult you, I actually know you are a retard

Well that’s a relief - something we can agree on !

Now - it takes one to know one so lets get down to business:-

Do you really think I would scan my degree online which has my my real name on it, and information that can be used to identify me in real life on a public internet forum?

No, I would assume that you would be able to blank out the personally identifiable information and still post it.

So, please do that otherwsie I will have to add it to my growing list of UNVERIFIED CLAIMS MADE BY SURYA DEVA.

1. Yoga is a Sanskrit word which is a sacred language of Hinduism. It means union or joining of the self with the higher self.

Fine

1. The Vedas are the first texts that describe the philosophy and practice of Yoga. The Vedas are the oldest Hindu texts. Their form of Yoga is known as Vedic Yoga by scholars.

Fine

1. All Hindu scriptures teach Yoga philosophy and practice

Fine

1. The first physical evidence of Yoga are seals from the Indus valley civilisation showing Yoga asanas. The Indus valley civilisation corresponds to the classical period of Hindu history when Patanjali was suppose to have lived.

Not quite accurate - but it doesn’t matter

1. The official bodies of all religions agree that Yoga is Hinduism

This is incorrect

1. All Hindus gurus teach Yoga. It was Hindus gurus that first bought Yoga to the West

This is controversial - I tend to agree with you though

1. Most offical definitions of Yoga in dictionaries state that Yoga is a Hindu philosophy and practice.

I agree - but it misses the point

You have compeletely ignored my logical argument that unsettles your claim.

If you has said froim the beginning that you are going to ignore logic then I would have not made a comment in the first place.

If you want 1+1 to equal 3 then I am more than happy to let you have that - but it doesn’t make it correct - it just means you re happy in that knowledge and if you are happy Sd - so am I !

God Bless

I have found it impossible to sit back and not say anything about the use of the word RETARD. Do you know how offensive that is? I have a nephew who has Down Syndrome who is the light of everyones life that he touches. When you use the word RETARD to make fun of someone it is highly offensive. Call me a PC, call me whatever you want, there are far better ways to get your point across. Calling someone mentally retarded is derogatory. Period.

Call me a PC,

No, you are not PC. You only ever have a problem with Hindus. You never have a problem with anti-Hindu posts made here. You had no problem when we pointed out that a Christian Congress minister called Baba Ramdev, “a bloody Indian dog” You had no problem when Pandara said that Hindus somehow deserved the genocides, torture and rape they went through - but you had a problem when I said it was an offensive statement. You had no problem when the Dalit member called Hinduism a scientific system of oppression. In fact you applauded him. Nor here do you have a problem with the barrage of insults coming from Yogimat - only with what the Hindus say.

No you are not PC :wink:

I don’t know your nephew and I am not addressing your nephew. So why are you bringing your nephew into this? Lg the day when you give a balanced assessment when you post - as rarely as you do - will be the day.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;56813]I have found it impossible to sit back and not say anything about the use of the word RETARD. Do you know how offensive that is? I have a nephew who has Down Syndrome who is the light of everyones life that he touches. When you use the word RETARD to make fun of someone it is highly offensive. Call me a PC, call me whatever you want, there are far better ways to get your point across. Calling someone mentally retarded is derogatory. Period.[/QUOTE]

Well said Lotusgirl , it is extremely distateful , along with the word " Racist " it is quite popular in the religion forum , it is a rather base place on occasion , with the odd bright note.
I would be interested to do a word count to see how often these two words are used in the place of meaningful discussion. If we are ever to find peace in the world which seems unlikely it will probably be because we have learnt to truly communicate , this seems very far off we are presently too damaged.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;56806]@Sahasrara- you mention basmati rice in a way that feels contemptuous. Are you bothered that it is available in grocery stores outside India? Should grocery stores post signs insisting we acknowledge that basmati is Hindu? Am I to toss out my giant bulk bag of basmati rice, or are am I to mutter basmati’s heritage before each bite? Will it offend Hindus if I douse my basmati with worcestershire sauce? I think, regardless of the sensient level of argument on this topic, it boils down to ‘silly’, as opposed to basmati, which boils down to delicious.[/QUOTE]

I think you that have to read it again. I did not say basmati is like “Yoga And Hinduism”. I used the example to convey the point that in many parts of the world people tend to plagiarize and try to patent, like they tried to patent basmati and haldi. In order to plagiarize and patent they go out of the way and corroborate evidences, distort the truth, redefine the very basic definition of truth itself to fit their corroborations. Am I clear?.

The whole effort of redeeming yoga from sanatana dharma is to make it secular and encash in the commercial market as it was tried in the case of basmati to claim patent royalty. If this line sounds that basmati like yoga for you, I am humble enough to accept that I am a poor communicator, because you will start saying that English is my second language and I will start saying that Indian English is your second language :slight_smile:

This is the main problem here. I give an example to drive a point in a specific content and it is taken out of context. The world is purely material driven and they go to any extent to prove that they are correct to get material benefit, ignoring the basic facts even if it is crystal clear, like yoga was an integral part of and ancient Indian life style as portrayed by vedic literature and as evidenced in many postings by SD and others.

My sincere request not to mix basmati in this in this thread about Yoga and Hinduism. I once again stress that effort to patent basmati was an effort to hide the fact to get material benefit. In other words, the effort to redeem Yoga from Hinduism is to encash more on Yoga by marketing it as a secular practice.

I can see what you mean about the word “retard”, but if you are going to condemn one usage of word, you have to be consistent and condemn other words that are offensive. Pandara made a really offensive suggestion that somehow Hindus were responsible for the genocide, torture and rape against them. Where was your condemnation then? When Indra Deva said that the West keeps keeps India alive and out of the gutter - where was your condemnation then? I remember both me and Neitzsche pointed it out several times - still despite the Hindus nobody said anything to Indra Deva.

So it is okay to use offensive words against Hindus, but if Hindus use offensive words, it is not? Recently a member strongly condemned kareng for an antisemetic comment, but that same member then went onto post one anti-hindu statement after the other. It does appear on this forum a lot of Western yogis think it is OK to be offensive to the Hindus. You can be offensive to our religion, deny our history, deny we are the the original religion of Yoga, criticise our religion and accuse it of an oppressive religion by caste system, worshippers of idol and cows and wife burners - and this is not offensive :wink:

Please give an example of when the world tried to patent basmati, as I am truly unaware of this happening.

And, although you may not see the connection between basmati and this thread, I see it as a glaring metaphor.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;56818]Please give an example of when the world tried to patent basmati, as I am truly unaware of this happening.

And, although you may not see the connection between basmati and this thread, I see it as a glaring metaphor.[/QUOTE]

Private message me to keep it out of the thread or start a new thread :).

SD,

I would have thought better of you had you apologized for using the work RETARD. You used it in a derogatory way toward Yogi Mat. The use of the word retard is highly offensive whether you are calling someone who is mentally challenged or not. It is meant to hurt. Can you not understand why I brought up my nephew? CharlieDharma got it. Do you know what its like to hear someone call my nephew a retard? They aren’t calling him that because he is slow. They do so to hurt.

And as for the rest of what you said…I care little.

Do we think the short grain italian European brown rice is superior to the asian basmati , Im always in a quandry as to which to buy ? I must admit to preferring basmati but sometimes feel the short grain is probably better for me .Often I buy both .

SD it is never ok for offensive words to be spoken , I am not blameless . I hear your acknowledgement. Peace

@charliedharma and @lotusgirl I am afraid if you are looking for meaningful dialogue on the subject of religion (and specifically Hinduism) you are in the wrong place :frowning:

SD shamefully misrepresents the authentic Hindu traditions in the name of Hinduism.

He is on a mission and NOTHING will distract him from what he sees as his calling which is to “set the record stratight” as to British imperialism because none of us are aware of how rotten the british ruling classes were hundreds of years ago - and neither are we aware of how bad modern day politicians and soldiers can be.

It is WE that are deluded and infantile as we know nothing and SD is here to show us all the way - trouble is - no one is interested which makes him EVEN MORE ANGRY!!i

In fact all white british people, americans, french, german, jews, mulisms in his eyes simply do not make the grade when compared to the Hindu elite class.

Although to suggest that the third largest religion in the world needs people like SD is amusing.

In a similar way you cannot reason with those people responsible for flying those airliners into the twin towers - or those soldiers that rape, abuse and kill in uniform.

Baba Ramdev has said on record that he can “cure” homosexuality.

I don’t even need to say anymore about how wrong a Swami can be - but there you go - he has a following - and I am not one of them.

SD is a very angry person - I don’t know why he is - only he knows and he is just looking for a place for that anger - an outlet if you like.

He is on a collison course with himself - and I only hope there is someone there to pick up the pieces when that happens.

There are some truly wonderful Hindu teachers and I am pleased to have met a few of them.

As for SD - well - we are probably looking at a twenty something male born in the UK that is desperately struggling to authenticate himself as being Hindu - even though he is probably as westernised as the people he hates.

He probably has a good idea as to what skin colour makes the best Hindu - and also from which part of India and one day he hopes he can make the grade with his peers.

In the meantime it looks as though the best thing to do is simply IGNORE?

Lotusgirl, Yogimat called me a fool, a coward, a fraud amongst other things, and you have no problem with that?

I have not used this word against your nephew or in the context of how it would be used to describe somebody who is medically psychologically retarded. So why should it hurt you? The context I have used it in is too refer to somebody who is mentally challenged - is expecting me to post my degree online so I can prove I have one. Literally, the word retarded means that you are mentally flawed. I don’t use this term all the time. I am using it agaisnt a highly offensive member who has repeatedly insulted me. I asked him so many times to desist, but he continued. In fact he called the me the equivalent of a retard several times:

“Oh - I forgot - you are SPECIAL (but perhaps not in the way you would like to be).”

Had I used it to make fun of sombody who is physically mentally challenged, then I can understand you would have grounds for being highly offended. But I did not do that. You are only reacting to the usage of the word itself, but you are ignoring the context.

I really find it ironic this is coming from the person who applauded a Dalit member calling Hinduism a scientific religion of oppression and was defending a member who said Hindus deserved their genocide. Are you the only one that gets offended? Don’t we get offended?

@yogimat - I’ve found it helps :wink:

I think this really just proves what I said earlier Hindus and West will never get along. We belong to two opposite poles. Two different civilisations. This is a clash of civilisations. A clash of culture, philosophy and values.

But you are practicing our Yoga :wink:

@SD - Is a man born in India and who has lived in America for thirty years and who travels to India every few years a “Westerner”. Is a person born in the UK into a Bengali family who has never been to India but whose relatives are all Hindu even though he is a Christian a “Western yogi”?

You are simply a trouble maker a stirrer - you fail to see the multiplicity of perspectives in people lives. You “BRAND” people as retards when you don’t understand them.

To give you an insght into the scale of your self-deception you claim to have a first class honors degree in philosophy and when asked to post it with the personal identifiable information blanked out you still refuse.

I wonder why?

I have friends that are Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, atheists and Christians - I do not know any muslims or Sikhs but this is a failing on my part and is as a result of karma.

I have Hindu teachers - and also Buddhist and Christian teachers and authentic Hindus have no problem with this - they are the most well-disposed teachers I have ever come across - not one ounce of hate.

For these reasons I believe you are acting fraudulently on this forum.

@SD You will never escape the Satana Dharma. This is the authentic teaching which you misrepresent for your own petty ego.

For this reasoin I say you are acting cowardly - and I would say this to anyone that is misrepresenting the tradition.

For a true hero of your cause I suggest you look no further than Sri Aurobindo - a true master and you will get to meet him when you pass from this world.

Now, what is your defence when you find yourself in the shadow of such a great man?