Is Yoga Hinduism?

"Because, as I said before, Christians are religious supremacists. They don’t think this way.

This is why they should all be kicked out of India"

That won’t happen.

What can happen, and what is practically implementable is for Indian Embassies around the world to become stricter wrt what sort of groups/organizations it issues visas to.

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62343]That won’t happen.

What can happen, and what is practically implementable is for Indian Embassies around the world to become stricter wrt what sort of groups/organizations it issues visas to.[/QUOTE]

I know. That’s why I said “should.”

I agree with you. Visas should not be given to missionaries and etc.

Unfortunately, our government is run by an anti-Hindu party that favors minorities over the Hindu majority. So this is not likely to happen unless, of course, BJP wins the upcoming elections.

Where is the “delet” button? I want to delete this post.

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62498]Where is the “delet” button? I want to delete this post.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no such function is provided on these forums.

[QUOTE=GORI YOGINI;62498]Where is the “delet” button? I want to delete this post.[/QUOTE]

Gori,

Think twice before you post, because:

1. You can’t delete, only admin can.

2. Your postings are freely available in google search, no doubt, no one can make out who is this Gori or Agori :), but for your conscience, which is what yoga is all about!

That Maths joke is really funny!!

Ashwin

and for sure Yoga is not religious… its just u do exercise and you reap the benefits… it has nothing to do with religion !

[QUOTE=artofliving;63098]and for sure Yoga is not religious… its just u do exercise and you reap the benefits… it has nothing to do with religion ![/QUOTE]

Namaste Ashwin. Ap keisei hein?

Then again, “Hinduism” is not a religioun is the common, Westernized sense of the word.

And it is undeniable that Yoga contains all the fundamental aspects of Sanatana Dharma.

So when SD says Yoga is Hinduism, he’s not saying that Yoga is a religious practice but instead, is one that incorporates the ontological, metaphysical, and epistemological views of the larger “religion” of Santana Dharma.

Well i didnt see d whole post but what i read hea nd dea clearly showed me d busines type mentality of ppl wrt to spirituality. They all want to reap benefits of science laid dwn by hindu religion bt at the same time wnt to keep themselves clean sayn dey dnt beleive in hinduism nd otha theory and relate hinduism as cultural instead of religious.
Well if u wanna reap benefit den u gotta beleive wholly bt yeah wid ya mind open. You cant have one part of a pizza nd say dis is d real pizza nd d rest r just fantasies. And d main reason lies hea dat instead of reaping benifits dey just reap illusions.
And as for spirituality is concerned no one can say dat its dere discovery…wel it was always dere but d way to knw it was expounded and discovered by d so called hinduism sect. Yoga is a part of religion in hinduism as sankhya or nyaya and otha darshans. Its been dere frm time immemorial frm which and by d laws of universe otha religion sprung out…as diff. Mentality of ppl devises dere own way to reach goal bt the starting point always remain same so as d final but for some d final point couldnt pass a particular mark god knws why and they just stopped at d miracle gardens where dere was only enjoyment. But hinduism went far dat way to d final emancipation to d final goal of soul where ders no enjoyment nor sadness just d seer d soul in the moment and d reality undescribable bt knwn only to the knower…and where deres no religion jst d all knwing soul in its real state.
So yoga as fr otha parts of hinduism are d techniques to knw what we really are nt a cultural dat changes day by day nt knwing wat fr dey r changn for. These techniques and ways was the result of hinduism as otha diff technique wud be in future but d root cause the rules wud always be d same. So if u wanna knw d whole truth u cant have part of truth but can only have in totality and one who takes a part and run away is like driving a mercedes widout an engine.

And one thing more dat ppl should thank God dat yoga was result of hinduism bcoz if it wer and chances wer minimal dat it was founded by d so called christanity or islam ppl dey wud have either patented it or a fatwa wud hv been issued bcoz dere mentality is bit limited to spirituality and dey think dat they owns spituality frm head to toe. Thanks to indian gurus and real spiritual person from otha sect dat they took it to the world and tried to assimilate somehow wid otha religion…and dat was out of love for humanity. And i feel sad fr some ppl and lament on there situation wen they go on patenting simple asans and breath technique and make money selling cds showing dat dey discovered it and dat dese are dere very own…whch is much relevent in d west.Sometimes dey seem jokers to me and dey demselves dnt knw what yoga in real means.Well we cant expect more frm them they r just ignorant and living life in self denial and illusion.They thnk of yoga as exercises showng dere limited and crooked mentality …what can be said about dem who doesnt knw the meaning of d word Yoga and its relation to spirituality and religion…i cant even laugh fr dem…GOD HELP THEM

I tried pasting your post in my universal translator, but it came up “language unknown”.

Great posts Spirit175.

[QUOTE=Sarvamaṅgalamaṅgalā;63119]Great posts Spirit175.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

:slight_smile:

[B]And one thing more dat ppl should thank God dat yoga was result of hinduism[/B]

First, it should be important for one to understand that what you are referring to as “Hindu” does not refer to any particular religion. The word “Hindu” simply comes from the word “Indu”, and had been used to refer to those who had been living as part of the Indus civilization and along the banks of the Indus river. Those who were living in this geographical area were referred to as “Hindus” when other conquerers entered into the land. The word “Hindu” is simply a geographical identification - it does not refer to any particular religion, but the culture itself which has flourished in this area. That is why the word is as vague as vague can be - you can be an atheist and be a Hindu, you can be a theist and be a Hindu, and you can have no concern whatsoever with either atheism or theism, and still be a Hindu. As far as the various spiritual traditions that have arisen in India, then too “Hinduism” is just a word of convenience. But the Brahmin priests have for centuries been trying to become the sole possessors of religion - declaring that the Vedas are divine revelations from God in the same way that the Jews, Christians, and Muslims have all been declaring their scriptures to be divine revelations from God. Because otherwise, there is nothing which can establish their authority. But the spiritual traditions that have happened in India are so vast - that you cannot fit them into a fixed category. That is why to think of “Hinduism” as something which is fixed and static is simply idiotic. Neither has there ever been absolute agreement upon anything in the various spiritual traditions that had arisen in India - there have been a thousand and one different belief systems and philosophies as one can imagine.

Drop you clinging to this idea that “yoga” is Hindu, the very word Hinduism is itself meaningless. Neither does “yoga” require any belief system - it is simply a state of consciousness in which you have come to a direct vision of your own original nature. That is why Vyasa has said, “Yoga is Samadhi”. Any method that leads towards samadhi, is a method towards yoga. Samadhi is not something “Indian” or “Hindu” - it is none other than enlightenment itself.

If yoga is Hindu, then the air is Japanese, and electricity is American. It is just like saying that the big bang was Christian because it was discovered by a Christian. As far as the “methods” of yoga are concerned - then too, it has nothing to do with a belief system. The methods towards yoga are just part of a science and technology for the expansion of consciousness. That is why Buddhists have made use of the yogic sciences, Jains have made use of the yogic sciences, the “Hindus” have made use of the yogic sciences, Sikhs, Charvaka’s, all have made use of the same technology alike. The only pre-requisite for making use of the yogic sciences is to be a human being. Truth is not something that can be organized, and any attempt to organize it is moving dimensions apart from the inexpressible. It has never been spoken, read, nor can even a drop of it be transmitted to another - you can only come to know yourself, through and through. And once you come to know yourself - then you yourself are the living Truth. No scriptures can function as a substitute - in your own wakefulness, the whole existence will supply you with as many revelations as possible. The trees, the mountains, the sound or running water, the sunlight, the moon, the four seasons, or just the rhythm of your own breath - the whole existence shines in your perception as one original face. Because Truth is not something philosophical, it is something to be experienced. And the only way to be in communion with existence is to be absolutely rooted in the present moment. Outside of this present moment, there is nothing else, the moment you have shifted out of the present, you have shifted out of the whole existence. Existence knows no philosophy, belief system, religion, dogma, doctrines or creeds - and if you are to be in communion with it, then when seeing, the eyes see. Hearing, the ears hear. This is a teaching beyond all teachings. To come to know of this teaching beyond all teachings is the very essence of Yoga, anything else is just your hallucinations in the name of yoga. But certainly - those who have been clinging to a belief system as a support for their personality are bound to continue gathering leaves and branches rather than coming down to the very roots. As long as one is clinging to a certain identity, one’s whole way of being will be for nothing else except to preserve this identity. Until you are willing to walk in the center between life and death and cut off your own head, you are not yet a true disciple. Only those who are willing to loose their lives ever come to know of the fragrance of eternal life.

First, it should be important for one to understand that what you are referring to as “Hindu” does not refer to any particular religion. The word “Hindu” simply [B]comes from the word [U]“Indu”[/U][/B],

Lol, no.

and had been used to refer to those who had been living as part of the Indus civilization and along the banks of the Indus river.

And how does this change the fact that the indigenous people living there had their own names for themselves and their culture?

This logic reminds me of English murde - cough cough settlers, who generalized the numerous indigenous cultures, tribes, and peoples they found as “Indian.” So would you tell the American Indian that his/her culture is not Indian because Indian was a geographic misnomer? Would you risk an arrow through your face Amir?

What matters is not etymological and anachronistic considerations but the context and connotations it came to hold.

Terms such as “Dharmic” and “Hindu” are synonymous. Deal with it.

Those who were living in this geographical area were referred to as “Hindus” when other conquerers entered into the land. The word “Hindu” is simply a geographical identification

That doesn’t change the fact that “Hindu” was simply a term that “caught on” and was used by the followers of whatever Dharma they were a part of to identity themselves.

• it does not refer to any particular religion, but the culture itself which has flourished in this area.

Yes, it now refers to the “whole package.” Deal with it.

Stuff that everyone knows.

Drop you clinging to this idea that “yoga” is Hindu, the very word Hinduism is itself meaningless. Neither does “yoga” require any belief system

Epic fail logic is epic fail.

The etymology of the word Hindu is meaningless in light of the fact that Dharmis of all sorts use it, among other older and indigenous terms, to refer to their culture and religion, or aspects of it, alike.

Back then, the people of the Indian subcontinent referred to themselves by other general terms. Now we use “Hindu,” “Indian,” and so on.

The foreign origin of the word “Hindu” does not mean that the entire thing to which it refers is not part of Indian heritage.

By your laughable logic, Christianity would not be Judaic in origin since Christianity is an English word.

If yoga is Hindu, then the air is Japanese, and electricity is American. It is just like saying that the big bang was Christian because it was discovered by a Christian.

Fail analogies are fail. Fail logic is fail.

General knowledge belongs to no one.

Cultural and religious practices belong to/originate in different cultural groups. Yoga is Hindu/Indian/Dharmic, Shinto is Japanese, The Haka is Maori, and so on.

Does this mean that there exists a cultural copyright? No. But does it mean you can go around, for example, commercializing Shinto gods, rituals, and so on without seeking the opinions and views of those who follow that culture? No.

You, Amir, are not Indian and therefore, what you say has no import in this matter.

As far as the “methods” of yoga are concerned - then too, it has nothing to do with a belief system.

It does.

The methods towards yoga are just part of a science and technology for the expansion of consciousness.

Which are Indic in origin.

That is why Buddhists have made use of the yogic sciences, Jains have made use of the yogic sciences, the “Hindus” have made use of the yogic sciences, Sikhs, Charvaka’s, all have made use of the same technology alike.

Yeah, because we all belong to the same general Indic culture.

The only pre-requisite for making use of the yogic sciences is to be a human being.

To truly understand Yoga and to truly appreciate it, you have to understand and immerse yourself in its cultural roots, which are Indic.

Truth is not something that can be organized, and any attempt to organize it is moving dimensions apart from the inexpressible.

Yoga is not the Truth but a way to reach the Truth. All different cultures have their own way of realizing that Truth and those who are not a part of the culture have no right to decide what interpretation is acceptable.

Yoga may have belonged to the Hindus once upon a time, but then I broke into to their house and stole it. Now I have it and I dare anyone to try and take it back. But, if you are nice, I may let you play with it once in a while.

[QUOTE=AmirMourad;63385][B]And one thing more dat ppl should thank God dat yoga was result of hinduism[/B]

First, it should be important for one to understand that what you are referring to as “Hindu” does not refer to any particular religion. The word “Hindu” simply comes from the word “Indu”, and had been used to refer to those who had been living as part of the Indus civilization and along the banks of the Indus river. [/QUOTE]

It is the chivalry of Spirit175 that he/she is referring to that religion which gave Yoga to this world in a way that you know and you can understand. Otherwise, if he/she refers to it in a native way as “Sanathana Dharma”, you may not understand and you will run pillar to post to translate it and interpret it as your own true knowledge and your own originally inculcated experience.

It is really hypocritical to read, decipher and sell this ancient way of life to the world as your own true knowledge. As long as you are selling Yoga, you are not true to the spirit of the ?Ashta Angas? of the Yoga.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;63404]Yoga may have belonged to the Hindus once upon a time, but then I broke into to their house and stole it. Now I have it and I dare anyone to try and take it back. But, if you are nice, I may let you play with it once in a while.[/QUOTE]

I love your frank and straight way of putting it :slight_smile:

However, but for freely practicing it, you cannot take it, steal it or own it or give it to some for a while to play.

Sanatha Dharma is “Akshaya Patra”, and that fed you just one plate of meal (Yoga), because you are hungry :slight_smile:

If you need everlasting, full course tasty food from this “Akshaya Patra” always, immerse yourself in this with love, pride and dedication.

Otherwise, eat this one plate happily and (?Sun?) salute and go on with your life. Your karma will bring you back in your next birth to the other side of the coin :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sahasrara;63407]I love your frank and straight way of putting it :slight_smile:

However, but for freely practicing it, you cannot take it, steal it or own it or give it to some for a while to play.

Sanatha Dharma is “Akshaya Patra”, and that fed you just one plate of meal (Yoga), because you are hungry :slight_smile:

If you need everlasting, full course tasty food from this “Akshaya Patra” always, immerse yourself in this with love, pride and dedication.

Otherwise, eat this one plate happily and (?Sun?) salute and go on with your life. Your karma will bring you back in your next birth to the other side of the coin :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, if only everyone thought this way :grin: