Joint mobility assessment

Q - I want to be sure I am understanding correctly In working initially with the joint mobility assessment, if movement is limited does that mean the agonist is weak and the antagonist tight? For example in knee extension if the range of motion is less than 180 degrees, would both the quadriceps need to be strengthened and the hamstrings stretched? Blessings, S

The method of assessment shown in my book is not as accurate as the modified physical therapy examination procedures taught in the Structural Yoga Therapy training program. In this course I teach how to assess range of motion for limited mobility using a tool called a goniometer. It gives a precise measure of the range. A finding that there is limited mobility only means that the movement being tested is tight. Hence the muscles that contract to create the movement are tight. It does not mean the antagonist is weak though it is a good idea to do a muscle isolation to find out if the opposing muscles are weak. In knee extension the inability to straighten the knee shows hamstring tightness only.

The findings of limited flexibility point to the need to do a second procedure called muscle testing (this is not applied kinesiology) to determine actual weakness of the antagonist muscles. Both these examination procedures are taught in physical therapy graduate schools and i find most PTs do not use them due to time constraints from the demands of supervisors for seeing more patients per hour.