Karma - can it be altered?

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;60106]Dear Friend:

Effects of past deeds [B]can[/B] be countered by present deeds. Something like overeating last night being countered by fasting today. Such countering is [I][B]“purushartha”[/B][/I].

Another way is to set aside body and mind awareness, f[B]or some time daily[/B] and thus allow prana shakti to work her way into the storehouse of karma, where, prana shakti would act upon the samskaras (deep rooted tendencies) to produce yoga-kriyas that effectively are complete culminations of one’s karma.

The residual karma is thus altered.

This of course is a slow process and is available easily through mahayoga.

Regards, anand[/QUOTE]

Ananda, can I ask you a grammatical question?

I’ve seen that samskara means “past impressions”, but it also means rites, like the Agni Hotra rite for example.

Is there a difference between the two words? Are they accentuated (I’m not sure that’s the right term) differently?

Tantra teaches that every moment you create different universes, just by making decisions. So your awareness of the karma associated with a decision is just a record of the choice you make. There is a course out on the net that teaches you how to travel between these different worlds, called quantum leaping. Tantra goes a little further and says that you can actually choose to go to a different reality. So, in this context, karma is a non-event, because you can choose to change your karma at any moment.

Michael, does Tantra really say that? Can you give me some references?

Seems like Tantric rishis are the pioneers in modern quantum theories then! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Pietro Impagliazzo;60129]Ananda, can I ask you a grammatical question?

I’ve seen that samskara means “past impressions”, but it also means rites, like the Agni Hotra rite for example.

Is there a difference between the two words? Are they accentuated (I’m not sure that’s the right term) differently?[/QUOTE]

Dear friend:

The word “samskara” has a sense meaning “being worked upon”. Even cooking is “samskara” on the ingredients therein. Likewise, agnihotra could be seen as a “samskara” using fire (the messenger of the Gods) to modify a certain environment.

Similarly, all our past attempts to gratify the senses aaccumulate as “samskaras” resulting in certain tendencies of the mind in the ordinary state of awareness.

Regards, anand

[QUOTE=Pietro Impagliazzo;60131]Michael, does Tantra really say that? Can you give me some references?

Seems like Tantric rishis are the pioneers in modern quantum theories then! :)[/QUOTE]

Actually, quantum theorists are late to the game, when compared to the rishis. One of the earlier references is the story of Gadhi, in Vasishta’s Yoga. It is on page 258 in Swami Ventkateshananda’s version (SUNY). Thee is an online version apparently. The tantrics like to hide the truth in plain sight. Ben Laden was late to the game also.

Another example of hiding the truth in plains sight is the statement that the Kundalini is coiled up at the base of the spine, asleep. The truth is that the Kundalini is already awake, has been awake forever, and will always be awake. Why do the tantrics not correct this apparent misstatement?

Because it is true from a lower level of truth. The higher level of truth is that it is you that is asleep to the Kundalini and its effects. How powerful is the thought that you are using the Kundalini already, and only need to become aware of its effects in your life? Compare that idea to the idea you have do some strange practices to find and then wake up this strange alien thing, who is powerful and who knows what it will do to you? Which set of thoughts are more empowering?

But the tantrics are way beyond the theorizing level. There are practical, effective steps to take that lead you to the awareness of God’s infinite grace.

For example, you have needs, right? Money, love, to know God, right livelihood? There is a link to a 3 minute daily practice that can bring all of those things to you.

If you send me an email address, I will send you the link.

Michael

[QUOTE=The Scales;54928]all the ‘karma’ tied to one [I]can[/I] most certainly be dissolved.[/QUOTE]

Far too sweeping and bordering on insanity.

This is an official apology.

[QUOTE=Serenity;59185]I believe we’re kind of like dust in the wind. The direction being the decisions we make, the wind being free will, dust being us.
I don’t think our lives are pre-determined. I think that we determine what happens. We’re all just the same eye looking at different patterns in a kaleidescope… What we get is partially a result of karma generated from our past lives that (in my belief) if learned from (the results of our bad karma) if we make a good decision with what we were handed, the bad karma will be righted and we’ll be that much cleaner and have generated more good karma.
Another part of what decides our lives is our minds, the way we perceive things will change our fate and what life brings us. It’s said in the Tao Te Ching, something along the lines of: one who follows the way encounters no tigers or wild ox. I may have butchered it but I believe I conveyed the meaning.
I don’t really believe in “concrete” anything in terms of physical existence, happenings, or something pre-determined.
It seems to me that if our lives were predetermined and not just dust blowing haphazardly, it would imply that “God” has an attachment to the idea of how our life should be, which, would be sin. And I don’t believe God would have an attachment since it’s produced by our weak, human perceptions.
A mistake that’s commonly made with religious philosophy, though I’m not saying it was made here, is the attempted application of human nature, logic, and perception. People trying to make sense of it in a logical way instead of seeing how it unfolds like letting a flower bloom in your mind instead of forcing the petals apart.
That’s just the way i currently see things. I think the Universe is forgiving like a parent, a Buddha, or anybody that loves another should be forgiving. That’s why I don’t think negative karma can stick for too long if you right your wrongs.[/QUOTE]

This is the one that approached my take the most. Similarly, I am also inclined see human life as a sand in an hour glass; it flows without notice, but it doesn’t disappear altogether, It changes place.

What is karma anyway? I mean, it’s such an odd thing. You can’t see it, you can’t touch it, but you can feel it. I guess it has something to do with vibrations and all that kind of thing - for me it is an in between thing. Just like music.

I believe in fate but not in a superficial sense as it is imposed via biblical texts. Imagine this analogy: you are earth and it is your dharma to effect masses smaller than you. It seems like a control. But go outside a little, and you’ll see that it is the Sun which effects how the earth behaves. And if you go even further outside, it is a certain cluster of star systems in a nebula that determines how Solar system will behave. And go even further outside, there is Milkyway galaxy, the doom of all ends. In that way, the earth has five movements:

1. It rotates around its own axis,
  2. It rotates around sun, as it rotates around its own axis.
  3. It rotates with the solar system, as it rotates with the sun.
  4. It rotates with the galaxy, as the solar system rotates with the galaxy.
  5. It rotates with the cluster of galaxies, as it rotates with the galaxy.

In this macrocosmic setup, everything is dependent on one another. Similarly, human life might seem to have a free will in its own microcosmos, but when taken as part of larger cosmos, its activities are predetermined. But we can’t measure this because our perception of time is faster than of larger cosmos’.

So Karma is predetermined in my view insofar as it could be measured. In this lifetime, as me, I have had many difficulties which were not supposed to happen but happened anyway. My entire life is a pradoxical existence, yet I still live. Something is holding me together, but it occurs to me that, certain things were predetermined about me. To be more clear, as an example, I was born in a country to which I have felt no emotional affiliation whatsoever. Ever since from my childhood, I always felt like an alien within the culture I was born. And this is my major problem in this lifetime, that is, homelessness, and the painful process in search of a home. Even though I found one, life did not allow me to have it at this minute. So, it’s all about karma, but alas, very very complex to explain how I ended up like that.

Did I choose my parents or did I not? Did I choose the culture or did I not? It seems to me that these are very superficial issues. I don’t think karma has anything to do with culture or sort, since cultures are temporary constructs on a seemingly permanent platform. You can change your culture as you live, however, social conditions in our world do not really facilitate such change, but in fact make things harder for you, e.g. one cannot go anywhere without getting a visa, and it is often a very long, tiresome process. On the other side, I am inclined to the idea that karma has something to do with your mental state, which again could be influenced by environmental circumstances. Just as Quetzalcoatl wrote elsewhere, what makes bad or good people are rather environmental circumstances. Although, I do not agree that these are arbitrary - again, macrocosmic reality determines your doom.

Still, the rational choice is also one that has value. If one could set his/her mind to something and works hard on that, he/she will attain the goal. Cause and effect, however, in a microcosmic reality. But if you go outside of this microcosmic (daily) perception, and see things through a macrocosmic perception, one could realize that this is only a segment of entirety.

In a sense, for me, Karma has a lot to do with place. And place-consciousness, that is, sets free one from the burdens of Karma. The more conscious one is about the place, the freer one’s mental faculties become. That’s why I do not agree with many religious theories about attaining enlightenment and reaching God and sort. My take of Karma is rather Shamanic and Heideggerian: place is a priori to one’s capability of action-in-the-world.

[QUOTE=The Scales;60532]Far too sweeping and bordering on insanity.

This is an official apology.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

But you were right!! Why the apology? May be the word “burnt” or “fried” could be applicable. But dissolved also would be correct and possible.

The only thing is you cannot “make it happen”, you “allow it to happen”. The medium is pure “chaitanya”.

Regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;60546]Dear Friend:

But you were right!! Why the apology? May be the word “burnt” or “fried” could be applicable. But dissolved also would be correct and possible.

[/QUOTE]

My current understanding is that - full knowledge of karmic law is beyond me - but I try nonetheless.

[QUOTE=The Scales;60552]My current understanding is that - full knowledge of karmic law is beyond me - but I try nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

dear friend:

Pl read the book at http://www.scribd.com/doc/39177763/Doctrine-of-Karma-Swami-Abhedananda

Depending upon where you stay, you may be able to buy a copy. Else take a print.

The question that then needs to be addressed is “which is the fastest way to dissolve karma?” The answer is “allow it to dissolve into its original and very pure constituent”

The next question is “what is the constituent?” and the answer is “Prana, which is also referred to as chaitanya in purer states.”

The next question could be “How?” and the answer is “Devotedly and in a surrendered mode, follow the shadow of Prana, which is your own [B]automatic[/B] flow of breath. Do this for at least 21 minutes daily.”

This way prana or chaitanya would bypass the mind and interact directly with karmic samskaras to produce “autonomous” actions or yoga-kriyas, in which one must remain a mere witness.

There is another and more difficult aspect:

“Further, to prevent new accumulation of karma, perform all actions dispassionately. If this is difficult, perform actions without expecting only particular results, because results depend upon past karma, which is mostly unknown. If even this is difficult then humbly offer the fruits of all actions to your Guru or Almighty.”

regards
anand

According to Yoga Sutras meditation attenuates and burns seeds of karma (Karmashaya)

2.10 When the five types of colorings (kleshas) are in their subtle, merely potential form, they are then destroyed by their disappearance or cessation into and of the field of mind itself.
(te pratipasava heyah sukshmah)

2.11 When the modifications still have some potency of coloring (klishta), they are brought to the state of mere potential by meditation (dhyana).
(dhyana heyah tat vrittayah)
2.12 Latent impressions that are colored (karmashaya) result from other actions (karmas) that were brought about by colorings (kleshas), and become active and experienced in a current life or a future life.
(klesha-mula karma-ashaya drishta adrishta janma vedaniyah)