Kundalini for a beginner?

I am a total beginner when it comes to yoga, meditation and spirituality. Lately, I have been very interested in finding some feeling of spirituality in myself, and a new meaning of Life in contrast to work-home-home-work Life style. Also I am very curious about consioussness and how it works. I have googled and googled and come to the conclusion that Kundalini yoga is what I am looking for.

However, I have read some scary stories and I am now unsure of whether I should start with practicing Kundalini yoga. I am scared of spontaneous Kundalini awakening and things I’ve read about it.

I started anyway with a pranayama course, I’ve been there just once so far, and the teacher just started with the breathing exercises. No information about Kundalini ,or precaustions etc. The course has experienced and beginners, and it seems that it doesn’t matter what you are. But is this wise? What am I doing in a pranayama course? Is it the right place for me?

What I really need, is a long and stable development process to enlightment. I want to work on my chakras first, and let it all take its time. I don’t want to rush into things. So is pranayama really the right way? What is the right way?

Please enlighten me with your experience! I really want this to be a new Life meaning for me, without the fear of Kundalini syndrome, I want it to be a stable journey to something different!

Blessings Maryland,

I just started sharing my Path, and if i am reading you right, it fits with what you seek: a gradual, balanced, gentle, joyful, and pleasurable journey towards experiencing life in all its depths and heights. If that’s you, then my Path will benefit you along your Way.

Having said that, there is no truly safe way of approaching Kundalini. There are Paths that are physiologically safer in the sense that there is less chance of awakening their fullness of being when their body and mind is not ready, but that does not mean we are free of pain, discomfort, fear, anger, rage, lust, and all the other good stuff.

As we clear, strengthen, balance, move, and build the bodies capacity for holding more energy, all our stuff comes to the surface. We even exasperate our issues, fears, desires, attachments, etc… It brings us to the top quickly, and so, is difficult, dangerous, and overwhelming by its very nature.

Even so, there are ways to approach Kundalini without giving rise to her fury/intensity. This is what i have sought for, for many years now.

In a nutshell this is what i have learned:

Patanjali rocks!
Tantra rocks!

Following the eight limbs we start working with the sticky stuff inside us. We invite those actions, thoughts, and words we seek to manifest in our lives and dissolve those actions, thoughts, and words that do not serve us. We are the masters.

Then we put more and more of our attention on those things we consume and how we spend our time. Those things that uplift us we absorb, those things that deflate us - we let go.

While we do that we stretch. We learn to balance the body among other things, not only to make meditation more comfortable and stable, but also to increase the bodies capacity for energy. Coupled with that we work with the breath to support that endeavor in addition to supporting our efforts towards gaining control of the mind and emotions. Emotions being the next things we work with.

In that process we relive our lives, experiencing and remembering those things that have shaped us. As we work with, dissolve, transform the emotional energy, we experience surpluses, waves of energy. We begin to guide this with our minds.

Finally, we are able to work with the prana consciously, using what we have learned from the body, breath, emotions, and mind. Arising from that we learn to channel all the bodily energy into the sushumna, heating and condensing it before flowing upward. As for working with the chakras, that is something we do throughout.

If you are interested then please visit my new YouTube video series on [B]Sacred Yoga [/B]here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOmWc9o6wO8&list=PLq80d9h-mH8gR2Rwq4eknkmctrEHeYOc6

and my [B]Daily 3 Minute Meditations [/B]that support what I share in the Sacred Yoga series here:

I hope i have answered your questions.

Be Blessed…

Suba

Sorry, forgot the link to the 3 Minute Meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5WSo6ExXvk&list=PLq80d9h-mH8hUuB9wVxMmixOBzG4v69--

These meditations support the most current Sacred Yoga video. My first video guides us to be aware of the body and the sensation that arises from the body making contact with another object.

Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh is a home video that i have used for years and has helped me a lot along the way. It’s easy to be followed by beginners, and i’d definitely recommend it.
“Based on ancient healing techniques from India, kundalini yoga helps you unlock this energy, strengthen your body, still your mind and set your spirit free. Celebrated yoga teacher Gurmukh guides you through an invigorating series of self-paced yoga sets that give your body an active workout and help you develop inner peace and outer strength. This is a yoga practice to help you thrive amid the challenges of today’s stress-filled world. Kundalini Yoga takes you on a journey of joyful self-discovery and complements all other yoga practices and exercise programs. Experience a radiant transformation as you build long-lasting health benefits and increase your endurance.”

[QUOTE=Maryland;86022]I am a total beginner when it comes to yoga, meditation and spirituality. Lately, I have been very interested in finding some feeling of spirituality in myself, and a new meaning of Life in contrast to work-home-home-work Life style. Also I am very curious about consioussness and how it works. I have googled and googled and come to the conclusion that Kundalini yoga is what I am looking for. [/QUOTE]

Congratulations, it is a most joyous experience that you describe. The kundalini techniques and practices vary greatly, as a beginner you would be smart to start practicing “placing” your “awareness” into specific portions of your physical body.
The third eye is a pleasant and relatively easy place to center your awareness.
If you find this difficult, you can actually strengthen your power of placing your awareness by watching and becoming aware of the flow of breath as you sit in meditation. Finally, if you are looking for a preliminary cleansing meditation to do before you dive-in to this Kundalini stuff, try the Zazen form of meditation practiced by Japanese Zen Buddhists. Tai Chi can also increase this power of awareness.

[QUOTE=Maryland;86022]
However, I have read some scary stories and I am now unsure of whether I should start with practicing Kundalini yoga. I am scared of spontaneous Kundalini awakening and things I’ve read about it.[/QUOTE]

Try not to pay any mind to this dumb scare stories. You will come to find out that these people have mental health issues and should not have continued with their self-destructive impulses.

[QUOTE=Maryland;86022]
I started anyway with a pranayama course, I’ve been there just once so far, and the teacher just started with the breathing exercises. No information about Kundalini ,or precaustions etc. The course has experienced and beginners, and it seems that it doesn’t matter what you are. But is this wise? What am I doing in a pranayama course? Is it the right place for me? [/QUOTE]

Pranayama, tantra and yoga are an individualized practice/experiment.
In my opinion generic classes are useless and more often than not promote ignorant cultism at some point or another. You should study the source material…always!

[QUOTE=Maryland;86022]
What I really need, is a long and stable development process to enlightment. I want to work on my chakras first, and let it all take its time. I don’t want to rush into things. So is pranayama really the right way? What is the right way?[/QUOTE]

Meditation is the way. Pranayama is the way to meditation.
Pranayama is merely one tool, you must stress balance over practice or you will become another confused would-be yogi. Enlightenment is the destination, meditation is the vehicle, and pranayama is the fuel for the vehicle. All work in synergy or non works at all.

[QUOTE=Maryland;86022]
Please enlighten me with your experience! I really want this to be a new Life meaning for me, without the fear of Kundalini syndrome, I want it to be a stable journey to something different![/QUOTE]

Desire is the greatest impediment on the path to true enlightenment.
The trick is to learn to progress without desiring to progress.

If you are looking for a safe way to work with Kundalini energy, may i humbly suggest that you practice Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan.

I just want to try out ppc advertising and wonder whats the best place to start. Does any have free money promotions?
Blessings,
Sappho