Looking For A Book Or Website

Hi there, I am slightly above average flexible 20 year old. I am looking to get into Ashtanga yoga to become more flexible and for a bit of cardio. Normally someone would just sign up for a class right? The thing is I live in a tiny town and the closest class is 20 miles away.

Now I am hoping that someone here can either recommend me a book that I can buy that has illustrations for Ashtanga or a free website for me to go from. I know I should start out in a class to make sure I am doing things right and chances are that I will attend a class someday, but it just isn’t reasonable for me right now.

Thanks for reading.

David swenson - books and dvd
John Scott book

the Ashtanga bible - Yoga Mala

Lino miele books

There are heaps of them, i have the above 4 plus one by Gregor Maehle which is also excellent. The Swenson book shows variations for each asanas

website address : worldwideweb [dot] ashtangayoga [dot] info, sorry i have am not allowed to copy & paste the url directly.

it’s a very good website with pose sequences and vinyasa overview (breathing, dristhi, and movement explanation.

browse the website to discover more.

Hi,

Good to hear that you are having thoughts to bring yoga into your life.
David Swenson explains well in his videos , but to start Ashtanga vinyasa yoga its better if you could take a few classes to experience the rythme,breathing flow and then carry-on on your own but still every now & then do take part in classes or a workshop or meet other ashtangi to explore your practice.

Ps: Someday is not a day of any week:)

Hi Jakoul,

One fantastic book that helped me a lot is from Beryl Bender Birch "Power yoga:the total strenght and flexibility workout"
It is an enjoyable reading, and it explains very well how to practice at home the whole ashtanga primary series.
It also points what to do to prevent injuries and gives tips for less flexible people.
As Beryl was mainly dealing with athletes, she also points at how important it is yoga to balance the body while practicing other sports which tightens your muscles.
Since I bought this one, I stopped going to classes, but I would recommend you to have a look at how the workout is done, e. g. by having a look at Lino Miele ashtanga video on Youtube ( Lino Miele - Advanced Ashtanga Vinyasa (Full Practice) ) A bit advanced, but it gives an idea.

Good luck!

I found the books of Bihar School of Yoga most authentic.
I got these books from Shivachittam who is a learned trainer from BSY
you can take further advise from him at anandabodh site.

Thank you for all of your responses!

If you want more flexibility in your body then this book defenitely will help you and this book is an excellent guide to astanga yoga having lots of positive review.

[B]Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout [Paperback][/B]
Author: Beryl Bender Birch

[QUOTE=namaste200;76388]website address : worldwideweb [dot] ashtangayoga [dot] info, sorry i have am not allowed to copy & paste the url directly.

it’s a very good website with pose sequences and vinyasa overview (breathing, dristhi, and movement explanation.

browse the website to discover more.[/QUOTE]

Oh I am a loyal fan of this forum. Now I can practice yoga by my self and I need not a instructor :slight_smile:

While learning yoga is welcome, if self-help is the only choice, it will tremendously help you to read some authentic information about Patanjali’s yoga sutra, for practice, its rationale and progressive milestones, (“Ashtanga” as a style is different.) I earnestly recommend 2 books:

1. New interpretation by Chip Hartranft (as a primer), and then
  2. My book “The Making of a Yoga Master” (both on Amazon)

I like Jodi Blumstiens classes on yogaglo. Its $18 a month, and really helps a home practice. When I am out of Los Angeles, its a must.