Looking for a specific yoga book

First off, my apologies - I have posted this request for assistance on another yoga forum as well, I’m hoping someone out there on the great wide internet might know of which book I’m speaking.

There was a particular yoga instruction book that I used about 15 years ago, when I was in my teens. My copy was lost, and I’ve been looking for another copy of it for several years now - however I am hampered by not remembering the title, author, or style of yoga.

The book originally belonged to my mother, and I believe it to have been published in the late 70s or early 80s (I’m leaning towards late 70s). The spine was a white plastic spiral/comb binding so that the book could lay flat. I believe the cover was white, with an illustration of someone in the lotus position - the chakras may have been colorfully highlighted, or perhaps there were just circles of color at different points on the body. The contents had photographs (likely black & white) rather than illustrations, and there were variations for each asana. There were also ~30 minute short forms, I believe they were of varying degree of difficulty/advancement.

The author was male, with a western name. I believe he had one or two co-authors, however I am not certain on genders or nationality of those.

I know it isn’t a lot of information to go on, but perhaps there is someone out there that this rings a bell for.

never hurts to ask janice, good luck in your search
seeker

Hi Janice,

Your search reminds me about being a bookseller as a student in a bookshop. Very often customers would come in with descriptions like these to the great frustration of the booksellers, because there were at any point about a million books in the shop. So in the world bookshop I guess there might be about millions, talk about finding a needle in a haystack.

Good luck with the search, hope you’ll find it. Your book was published more or at the time I was born. :wink:

Use the Force, Luke. :slight_smile:

You will stumble upon it eventually.

I stumbled upon a yoga book from my collage years. Small, with very bad black and white pictures. (Not your book, mind you) The author is romanian, and it was published during the communist regime, still it reatins it’s integrity, without talking about religion. Yama and niyama are there with their content unchanged (rephrased). I still wonder how the basic principles of yoga are the same in all ages. I love that it is short and to the point. So I think whatever book you chose from that period, the heroic age of western yoga, you’ll get what you want. I know it is easier to retake an old path … but if that path did not gave you the clues how to continue it, you might as well try another, what seems close.
Good luck !

When I read a good book, I pass it on after reading it. I figure that if I need to see that book again it will find it’s way back to me. When it happens, I read it again. That book will find you again.

(Then again, I suppose I don’t get rid of instruction books like yoga books :roll: but I still think one day, when you really need, it after you have given up, it will find you. :D)

Hi Janice,

I am a Catholic and we usually call on Saint Anthony if something is lost and it must be found. Now this has worked always for me except in one case where the book I lost was actually stolen from me. That person needed it more than I did :slight_smile:

It goes as follow and you are welcome to try it:

Tony, Tony, stick around,
something (here you mention what is lost) is lost and must be found.

Repeat this about three times or more depending on how urgent the matter is, give praise and thanks to Saint Anthony and let it go. Invariably the item I was looking for would all of a sudden appear after a day or two or sometimes I needed to do several calls before the item appear again. The longest I had to wait for the item to appear was about a week.

So if Luke can’t help, perhaps Saint Anthony might be the answer :wink:

Thanks for the tip, Pandara. Never thought I’d learn about a chatolic saint from a yoga teacher. Obviously I am not a good catholic. :slight_smile:

Hubert,

My own teacher always emphasized that you are born into a specific religion for a very good reason and that you must honour that religion. I am not Roman Catholic, but Liberal Catholic, huge difference between the two. Nice article on Wikipedia about Liberal Catholics if you want to read more.

Please, let’s all get this thread back on track.

Hi Janice,

I went to my own yoga teacher yesterday, she has an extensive library on yoga books and literature and she is deep in her seventies with great knowledge about books and asked her about such a book. She had one spiral bound book on her shelf by Sri S. Satchidananda by the title of Intergal Yoga Hatha published in 1970. According to her also one of the best yoga books. Unfortunately the cover came loose over the years and got lost, but inside there are also many pictures depicting asanas and it has also short and long asana programmes. Perhaps this might be the title you are looking for? Does it ring a bell?

Thank you very much for looking, I really appreciate it. I checked that book out on Amazon, and that isn’t it either. I will remain open to finding it!

Classic books

A classic is something which everyone praises and nobody reads.

Mark Twain