Marijuana and yoga

have any of you saw the aura of a person who smoked compared to a non-smoker who just did yoga? Strictly speaking for experimental reliability : you’d have to also see the respective aura’s when the subjects were not high or doing yoga. They may have different auras before the experimental variable was introduced.

[quote=TonyTamer;18717]have any of you saw the aura of a person who smoked compared to a non-smoker who just did yoga? [/quote]Strictly speaking for experimental reliability : you’d have to also see the respective aura’s when the subjects were not high or doing yoga. They may have different auras before the experimental variable was introduced.For myself I want control to come from within, it’s longer ,harder but by the same token stays with you better

i don’t remember posting anything at all on that particular thread and unless I had a flashback - I didn’t post the above quote either. To date I have not seen an aura around any person doing yoga. I saw one around a girl I loved when I was about 20 and though life is beautiful- that’s all the aural phenomena I’ve enjoyed. Cheers

Hello Tony, you posted these two posts within minutes of each other and quoted your own self in the second; this is why I merged them. There are no edits of any kind to either of your original posts, this was simply a merge. I hope this helps jog your memory–please PM me if you have any concerns at all about this. Based on the thread subject matter, it is almost comical that you the don’t remember posting, not one, but two posts here. :smiley:
[B]
Your first post was this: [/B]

[I]have any of you saw the aura of a person who smoked compared to a non-smoker who just did yoga? Strictly speaking for experimental reliability: you’d have to also see the respective aura’s when the subjects were not high or doing yoga. They may have different auras before the experimental variable was introduced.[/I]
[B]
Your second post was this:[/B]
[I][quote=TonyTamer;18717]have any of you saw the aura of a person who smoked compared to a non-smoker who just did yoga?
Strictly speaking for experimental reliability : you’d have to also see the respective aura’s when the subjects were not high or doing yoga. They may have different auras before the experimental variable was introduced.For myself I want control to come from within, it’s longer, harder but by the same token stays with you better.[/I][/quote]

I think there is a connection between the marijuana/yoga hybrid. For me marijuana helps me to relax but I have to admit it does have a strange effect on my breathing and lungs in respect to my asanas. I read in a book years ago that NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul Jabbar also was a “smoking Yogi” so I guess that he ended up fine bu I am still experimenting with it.

Darrell

Dear friends,
I am new to this forum.
I was following this thread very curiously.
Let me add my two bits.
It’s crudely stated , pardon my ignorance, if you all can.
During copulating at the time of high, at the time of ejaculation( sorry for being male)
you have a feeling of egolessness and timelessness, and one wants to do it again again , that’s a state when one encounters the godliness and his attributes, what will happen if you merge with him entirely. Bliss, pure bliss for ever. That was only for a split second, what if you had the same bliss for ever. Doing it is sexuality, the other part is spirituality’
The same thing happens with drugs.

I predict you will catch hellfire on this. Let me welcome you and hope you get as much out of these posts as I do. I think it’s a bit too easy and simplistic to equate sex, drugs and spirituality ( you forgot Rock and Roll ). They have different courses as far as steady states i.e. myopia and dissipation to name two for sex and drugs ,whereas spirituality has only positive attributes the steadier you are in that state. While the egolessness and timelessness seem to be part of sex and drugs, and can be with sex if it is love ; it could also be just over-stimulation of your senses. The more you do drugs the higher your threshold for the experience usually, meaning it takes more and more for less and less. Spirituality feeds upon itself and gets more abundant with it’s gifts as you get deeper and deeper into it. Ejaculation by itself is just release, and if that’s egolessness and timelessness then we can all stay home alone and masturbate and find union until we dissipate our energies,sicken and die, going listlessly into the void. I don’t mean to make light of your equation especially since you can be too ascetic and miss the Middle Way too, but ejaculation is not nirvana and pot is not samadhi. " You shall know a tree by it’s fruits ", it is said somewhere in the Bible. This may not apply to your judicious application of sex and drugs but I think it applys in general. Spirituality isn’t even in that neighborhood. Sincerely ,Namaste

Hmmm, smoke going into our lungs. Hmm, inhaling smoke into our little universes.
I must apolize to my lungs for the toking in the 70’s and my dealing poker in the smoky cardrooms of the 90’s.
[B]I love the clean air now, I can feel the life when I slowly wave my hand thru it and when I breathe in slowly in sinc with a Tai Chi or Yoga move.[/B]
It’s precious, Gil.

Dear tt,
You took me wrong, You see timelessness and egolessness is some of the attributes of God, just a fraction of a second gives you such a feeling to do it again and again, what will happen if you are merged with him for eternity.
The same thing happens with mj.
Try to understand, its just a realization god gives to tell you what HE is, its entirely up to you to choose.

The only problems i have with Pot prior to doing anything is just that, I never “do” anything. This why after 16 years of catching a buzz per say i quite and immediatly became more motivated and ambitious. But this is only my story, others may be different.

I see prasad, I think, in more of a American Indian peyote etc. ritual-setting as opposed to an after work habit. And Don Juan ( Carlos Casteneda ) addresses that in his 2nd book, saying the drugs are only necessary for the unimaginative minds who have trouble learning without a jump-start. The royal path ( Raja Yoga ) is very disciplined for most of us in the west, used to instant gratification. Drugs are also rampant with dangers, approaching God ( Timelessness et al ) is dangerous when you dive in and for most should be done with humility and with baby steps. The average person succumbs to bad habits and those on thin ice can drown in psychosis. The superior aspirant may take advantage there but I’m sure less than with more time-honored methods.Namaste

Yea i love reading Don Juan’s ( Carlos Casteneda ) books. Very interesting for anyone.

They are great, at least the 5 or 6 I read, however it’s been a few books and a long time since I read them and apparently there’s some controversy about. Youtube Carlos Casteneda and Nagualism, either or, and there’s a slew of things ; also youtube Tensegrity Exercises- these are exercises promoted by CC and touted as ways to connect to a Universal energy- they are very different for the most part. The personal stories of his main ( female ) students are very strange. Check it out. Namaste

i love to do yoga when i have had a puff. this is not to say i only do yoga when stoned. far from it. however you could probably say the opposite - that when i am stoned, i always do you yoga. for me marijuana heightens my sensitivity - in how my body feels, to feelings i am having, to issues that need to be dealt with that i am too busy to think about or have been brushing under the rug so to speak. i do not smoke alot, but find myself thinking i should do it more regularly - like once a week - as a tool to keep myself focused on how my body feels and where i am at in my life. (i do not like to smoke too much as it makes me very tired after the high has worn off.) while stoned i allow my body to move and stretch not according to how a yoga pose “should” be, but to how my body feels it needs to be moved. This often turns out to be poses, that i had previously not even known existed. As a tool for spiritual development i think it works well for me too. I can spend hours focused and concentrated on a topic. in fact this is probably why i dont smoke as much as i think i should, because it takes up so much time to get through all the “work” that needs to be done on myself. Time which doesnt often get allocated to me, in a busy schedule of daily life, family and work.

as for marijuana giving you the munchies and therefore not being good for yoga. i find that i do not get munchies while stoned. i tend to drink more water, and if i want to eat anything, it will be fresh fruit. I have less dedication to healthy food when straight.

so in conclusion - fo me - marijuana and yoga go together well. i use it like a tool to get different and heightend perceptions on my body, and my mind. The insights and feelings i have from these experiences can then be applied to my life and worked on, while i am straight.

May I ask you madelaine on the days that you smoked and practiced, how much would you smoke and would you do it before, during, or after practice?

[QUOTE=Lars Rimb?ck;9360]One of my teachers once said: To take drugs in any form is like using a credit in the bank, one day we have to pay it back.
[/QUOTE]

That is profound, I will be stealing that from you!

I have only read the first page but feel compeled to reply.

I am a once-a-week or once-a-month pot smoker but I take 1 or 2 puffs from a bowl and I’m high.

I really dont like drinking unless its a special night or I have friends visiting from out of town.

I am a tea and weed kind of girl.

When I smoke more than once a week it becomes unenjoyable for me.

I have never smoked before working out alltho I have one buddy at the gym who claims he smokes weed almost everytime before he goes to the gym and it makes him concentrate better.

I would try it but I go to a gym on campus and only have time to go after class so unless I becomes friends with someone who lives near my school (I live 30 minutes away) I will not smoke on campus or in public anywhere in the state of Florida because Marijuana is treated like crack down here and its not worth losing my student loans over.

If I still lived in Boston, where weed is decriminalized, I would try it but I wouldn’t make a habit of it. I enjoy working out when I’m sober, why taint it and get used to only enjoy working out high?

To answer the OP, I would give yoga a try stoned but part of why I love yoga is because I get a natural high from it anyways. It sounds fun but I would never ever make a habit of it. I leave class high, but its a high I cant buy from a drug dealer.

As a younger man I partook a few times. Never a big thing for me but a bit of fun once in a while. I stress then that my comments here are not judgmental about any lifestyle but simply reflect my own views of yoga as a path to greater health. Marijuana use to be thought of as relatively benign in terms of its affect on physical health. A good deal of evidence now suggests that smoking it is as dangerous as smoking tobacco. From my POV then habitual use of Marijuana would seem to be incompatible with a regular yoga practice. For me, yoga is about health and the union of breath, body and mind with the spirit following at its own pace.

But that, as they say, is just me. Can’t speak for anyone else.

The yoga masters say- to achieve the aim of Yoga, you need a clean blood stream. Any type of smoke will make your circulatory & respiratory system harder.

But I would rather see people do weed than do nicotine or alcohol:) At least you’ll be healthier.

Joga and The Holy Herb as it’s been known throughout the ages, has been practiced together since the start of mankind. All the great sages and sants and jogi’s in India know of this. The modern drug industry killed of the dispensary’s in the US at the turn of the century, but they’re making a comeback, especially here in California. Noted author Chris Bennett has written extensively about Jesus and the Herb, (Anointed oil…) Shiva is known as the God of Bhang, Gobind Singh Khalsa was an advocate and a practitioner, and so on…Check out Wikipedia for more info… Treat it with respect, it will enable you to reach whatever level you are looking for…:wink:

“Yoga and The Holy Herb as it’s been known throughout the ages, has been practiced together since the start of mankind” - this is a remarkably definitive statement considering the start of mankind (or humankind to use a less gender-specific term) can be traced back over 4 million years to Ardipithicenes or, if you are talking about anatomically modern people at least 150,000 years.

Sorry not buying it. The holy herb, as you call it is a mild hallucinogen and a potent carcinogen. I infer from your post that you favor it’s being legal to use, buy and sell. While in general I agree that it should be legal for anyone of age, I don’t agree that it is, in any way, a historically relevant part of Yogic tradition. Sounds like wishful thinking.