Meditating In Lotus Causes Discomfort

Greetings,

When I meditate, I almost always do it in corpse pose. That's because I find it uncomfortable, and sometimes painful to sit in lotus, or even just regular criss-cross for longer than a few minutes. I have tried some modifications, like putting my back up against the wall, or putting blankets under my knees for support. But it still feels uncomfortable after some time. Then I feel that my attention is fixated on that pain/discomfort, and makes it harder to get into a deeper meditative state.

Is there any reason that I should mediate in lotus, as opposed to shavasana? I have read that shavasana is supposed to be more of a resting practice for the mind, whereas meditating in lotus is meant for more awareness with more intention than in shavasana. However, I just lay in shavasana regardless of my intent for the session because of the discomfort.

Has anyone else experienced this discomfort, and if so, what helped you? Is the pain just something I need to get used to? Or is there a way around it?

The pain/discomfort I experience are primarily from my legs falling asleep, and pain from my back just from sitting up for so long.

Most meditators I know sit on them meditation cushion Zafu.

1 Like

My dear friend you are not alone lol. What's helped me in my practice when I would like to keep an intent of awareness is to sit with my back against the wall with my legs straight to take less pressure off of my back and still promoting healthy alignment. Sitting on the edge of a cushion and allowing your hips to melt forward also helps :slight_smile:

Meditating in Lotus position as taught in some books causes a lot of discomfort and pain. This is because most people are not used to sitting in that position for long. Even the monks who meditate in Lotus position do so after years of practice and their bodies have adapted to it. But that is not the only way to meditate.

To learn meditation, one should not be forced into a position that causes pain or discomfort. It is easy to find an alternate posture that does not cause any discomfort at all. So instead of trying to learn meditating in Lotus position, it is better learn about alternative postures like sitting in a chair with your back straight and legs flat on the ground. It is even possible to meditate lying down which is great for people with back problems.

Meditation is more about clearing your mind than anything else. The posture you take has a minor role in it and can always be altered to be comfortable as long as your spine is straight.