Meditation 101

So, you are all curious and really want to know all of my ‘dirty little secrets’ huh?

I have the worst ‘monkey mind’ out there and I mean, like [I]really[/I] bad, so whenever I hear “my mind just races too fast to meditate”, I have to catch myself from taking it as: “I really want to find the Truth, but I just cannot be arsed doing so”.

There is an amazing ‘precursor’ to meditation I discovered when I was a child and totally bored with nothing else to do. It’s called ‘Trataka’ and it consists of gazing at a fixed object like a candle flame, sitting between two mirrors trying to determine where my reflection ended (the first time I opened my Brow Chakra doing this), gazing into a bowl of water like Nostradamus or the rising/setting sun. The whole idea is to be able to bring your total awareness and fixedness onto an external object before one closed the eyes and just became ‘lost in space’.

With Trataka, you try and unite your whole consciousness though the object you are perceiving (in my case, it was first a candle flame and then my own eyes in a mirror when I became more advanced at it). I never managed to ‘become one with the object’, but it led me to slow down my mind enough to be able to take that next step, which was meditation.

I closed my eyes and at first, I applied the principles of Trataka to that space between the eyebrows and [I]immediately[/I] just felt intense pain and pressure there. This went on for a few days and I would also get strong headaches because of it. Then, I did something both stupid and wonderful.

During such a meditation, I applied a small measure of Tiger Balm to that area (carefully avoiding my eyes) and this did 2 things. It relieved the pain a bit and also gave me a cooling ‘focal point’ for this ‘internal concentration meditation’. After doing it the first time, the Tiger Balm became a ‘ritual’ for me. Whenever my mind would start to wander and the monkey would rattle its cage, I’d bring my total awareness back to that cool, radiating glow.

However, you can mentally put anything in that spot where your ‘internal camera’ is and look at it…a picture of Jesus/crucifix, an ‘emanation of Light’, a statue of Lord Nataraja (my own Ishwara)…whatever your mind associates with ‘God’ or a ‘Higher Purpose’ or ‘deeper meaning’ and it should only be relevent to you.

It’s also highly beneficial if one feels some heartfealt/spiritual attachment [I]to[/I] this internal association, because being able to open your heart [I]fully[/I] to the ‘Cosmic Force’ or that which is ‘beyond understanding through anything else [I]but[/I] Love’ is also really necessary.

Concentrate with all your breath, heartbeats, mind and total awareness, like you are doing something that actually [I]required[/I] you to use most of this anyway, like fixing an intricate watch.

After a few months, your thoughts will slow down and then actually stop and when I say ‘stop’, it will be for all but a millisecond a few years between each millisecond, but that’s enough if you can achieve [I]only[/I] that.

If you can actually manage to stretch that out into a hundredths of a second, then work down from there, that’s all you need do.

Getting into a meditative state is very easy. It’s sustaining it for any length of time that’s the hardest part.

Take care and may God bless you all.

One of the most important things I forgot to mention, is just to take your time, don’t overstress and most of all, don’t expect immediate results…in fact, don’t expect [I]any[/I] results at all.

This addendum came from a revelation I had whilst contemplating on the events surrounding content of another thread. One in which I let my ‘humanity’ show too much. lol

Many see my lessons and views as an affront to established religion/philosophy and ‘status quo’ (good band btw) anyway, I speak to you all in the way I would speak to a normal person…my family…friends…even my Lord in prayer.

Sure, I could put it all in Sanskrit and fancy terms and make it all ‘sterile’ and ‘cold’ again…but why do you think I gave up on all this for years in the first place? That’s all yoga/meditation/religion [I]became[/I] for me.

So, people say 'how can you be so ‘pure’ when you are so ‘impure’?" Well, apart from spending [I]years[/I] living by the Tantric philosophy of “by that which we fall, so shall we rise”, or how I like to think of it, as William Blake once said If the fool persisteth in his folly, he would actually become wise"…

Where is all this going you ask? It goes to one of those unusual places I drag all my inspiration/information from. In this case, it’s Sri Srila Prabhupada.

He said something along the lines of that when a spiritual aspirant starts meditating, it’s like switching a fan off. Even though the current is gone, the blades will continue to go round and round for a while.

Sometimes, they will go round and round for a [I]long[/I] while.

Aum Namah Shivaya AND

Aum Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.

How can one “meditate” with a filthy psyhic system?
Answer: “It’s hard.”

LawL.

What does trataka do per se?
Follow the teachings, then see for yourself.

Personal experience
Filth makes it hard to meditate.
Cleanliness makes it friggin easy.
How to clean? We look to the shastras and other teachings for the guidance.
What to say?

NADI SHODHANA

I blew out achient flith the other day; when after a moon or two ahd passed I decided I was going to follow the advice - right. And there it was - progress.

[QUOTE=Melchizedek;81219]How can one “meditate” with a filthy psyhic system?
Answer: “It’s hard.”

LawL.

What does trataka do per se?
Follow the teachings, then see for yourself.

Personal experience
Filth makes it hard to meditate.
Cleanliness makes it friggin easy.
How to clean? We look to the shastras and other teachings for the guidance.
What to say?

NADI SHODHANA

I blew out achient flith the other day; when after a moon or two ahd passed I decided I was going to follow the advice - right. And there it was - progress.[/QUOTE]
Of course Kriya and Asan go hand in hand with this. I know it’s hard to meditate with a filthy psychic/immune system (and I have polluted mine over time as well). I am not making anything sound easy here, because it’s friggin hard at the best of times anyway. lawl

Nadi Shodhana is amazing though, I must say *although I am still stuck on finding my own personal ratio for the duration of inward and outward breath.

Maybe you could offer advice with that please?

[QUOTE=Nobody;81231]Of course Kriya and Asan go hand in hand with this. I know it’s hard to meditate with a filthy psychic/immune system (and I have polluted mine over time as well). I am not making anything sound easy here, because it’s friggin hard at the best of times anyway. lawl

Nadi Shodhana is amazing though, I must say *although I am still stuck on finding my own personal ratio for the duration of inward and outward breath.

Maybe you could offer advice with that please?[/QUOTE]

my advice concerning kumbhak and yog in general, and it comes from the trials of fire - is sukkha.

Make it sweet sweet sukha.

Each person, as the keen of mind know, is different. My practice is based on what is lovely. Thats for me a foundation.

THats not to mean we lye on our couches playing xbox. We know the YOg is good and we make time for it and when we do it we do it in a way that is joyful. THat makes happy.

I don’t keep ratios. I don’t time. I dont’ count. I go by feeling.

WHAT IS STILL FUN.
Some like to count. Keep ratios and all that. If thats fun for them. THen who am I to say?

IT can be no fun to hold ones breath to excess. It can be crap for painful asana.
I have learned not to push “too far” , and do himsa. My thing is Joy. That way. I keep doing it for IT is the most goodness one can do.

Brahmacharya.
Moderation.
Temperance if you will. Patience. Balance. Harmony. Moderation.

I approach each Limb (And I’m gettng better at approaching “everything”) with the mind of an artist. Taking my time. Considering. Patiently. Quietly. Endeavoring. Enjoying it.

So When I kumhbhak - i blast trash from my stuff - all the same.

For me. Samadhi is easy - as long as my “stuff” is clean. For me Samadhi is a matter of time - as long as my stuff is clean. If my stuff is filthy - then Samadhi is a frustration - and “may” happen - if I don’t get fed up before I plunge deep enough.

CLARITY. THat is one of the major, but not only, purposes of Hatha Yoga, Like svatmarama says “for those who practice any form of yog it is like a tortise that supports the world.”

My secret, and it’s no secret, for it has already been said - is cheerfulness of mind.

SUKHA

SWEETNESS.

If it’s negative I think to abandon it.

7 and 14 Days Yoga Retreat enables you to integrate the manifold facets and benefits of yoga with asanas, meditation, pranayama, deep relaxation, yogic kriyas and more into your daily life. Relax, Refresh & Rejuvenate Wellness Yoga Retreat at Arogya Yoga School

Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God. Trataka is the good form of Meditation. It provide true peace to our soul. Bali Meditation Retreat is another form to get peace. I suggest you all to try it.