Meditation: The Core of YOGA

Meditation is considered as on of the important and the deepest trench in the ocean of the yoga field. It seems to be simple but it is not that. It needs a real desire to achieve that happiness and that feat.

There are various types of meditation - prayer is probably the best known, but there is also TM (Transcendental Meditation), mindfulness meditation, and from the Eastern tradition, Zen meditation, Buddhist meditation, and Taoist meditation.

[B]The meditation encompasses such diverse methods as:[/B]

-Formal sitting in which the body is held immobile and the attention controlled. e.g., Zazen, Vipassana

-Expressive practices , in which the body is let free and anything can happen. e.g., Siddha Yoga, the Latihan, the chaotic meditation of Rajneesh.

-The practice of going about one’s daily round of activities mindfully. e.g., Mahamudra, Shikan Taza, Gurdjieff’s “self-remembering”.

Yes I agree that Meditation is not as easy as it seems. A person while meditating seems like sitting but actually lot of complications are involved. it takes even years to learn and practice meditation

I was expecting some replies to my post that’s why came here but now I saw that the date was an year’s before so how will someone reply here…lolzzz…

But next day I wont be coming here to see any other reply as I m’ sure now that no one even read this thread. well no one is mad enough as I 'm or I have lot of free time :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=blassie389;58180]But next day I wont be coming here to see any other reply as I m’ sure now that no one even read this thread. well no one is mad enough as I 'm or I have lot of free time :p[/QUOTE]

And what angers you? Something in the original post? The fact that no one has responded?

What distinguishes a yoga practice from other forms of exercise is that yoga is a meditation. The practice is usually described as a union of body and breath. But breath and body are merely the vehicles; the goal is the awakening of awareness.

The practice begins with concentration and ends with meditation. In between is a series of postures, or asanas. The asanas are physical acts designed to purify the body and the mind. But the goal of the asanas is to eliminate all distraction, so that the mind can merge with the body. That's called union.

The postures are a means to an end. The end is union -- and union is achieved only when your mind is 100% focused on what is happening in your body. That's why asanas are so important. While you're in a posture, you cannot think about anything else.

The asanas later become meditation. The meditation is intensely focused concentration. It demands total awareness, yet you don't even have to think about it; it just happens. After a few months of practice, you can perform the asanas without thinking about them; they become automatic. And long after you have stopped doing them, the meditation continues.

The meditation is itself a series of postures. You sit still and concentrate on your breath. You focus on the sensation of the air moving in and out of your nose and mouth. You try to empty the mind of all thoughts. But you keep thinking of thoughts; that's the nature of the mind.