Meditation

I suffer from severe anxiety and would like to start meditation in an effort to calm my mind. I have no idea where to start though. Thousands of video’s on youtube, an unlimited number of books and dvd’s on amazon, I just have no idea where to start. I am currently attending a Baptist church and although I am very open minded I don’t want to get into hard core Buddhist religion. Is there some technique I can use? I would really like a guided video or audio.

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave

There are many non-denominational meditation classes available where religious belief is not mentioned ore indeed relevant.

To start slowly, why not try guided meditation from a CD or other media. I would recommend Yoga Nidra as taught by the late Sw Satyananada. One of my favourites is Inner Conscious Relaxation by Eddie Shapiro (formerly Sw Brahmananda).

[QUOTE=davemchine;79604]I suffer from severe anxiety and would like to start meditation in an effort to calm my mind. I have no idea where to start though. Thousands of video’s on youtube, an unlimited number of books and dvd’s on amazon, I just have no idea where to start. I am currently attending a Baptist church and although I am very open minded I don’t want to get into hard core Buddhist religion. Is there some technique I can use? I would really like a guided video or audio.

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should only detox your body, i think you body is full of toxins…Its the fastest and the quickest way to get rid of anxiety problems.

http://www.custommedicine.com.au/health-articles/zeolites/

I would appreciate any advice that will help me. I am looking up the items YogaPrem mentioned and I would like more information from Wickeddeath2 if possible. Thank you both.

edited: sorry i did not see the link

[QUOTE=davemchine;79613]I would appreciate any advice that will help me. I am looking up the items YogaPrem mentioned and I would like more information from Wickeddeath2 if possible. Thank you both.

edited: sorry i did not see the link[/QUOTE]

http://www.mercurypoisoned.com/symptoms.html

For example

Hey man I was in your same situation. I have terrible anxiety and am always in my head. Heres a couple things that helped me alot. Set a 10 minutes timer for meditation. Focus on the subtle energy that’s flowing throughout your body. I like to focus on my heart first and feel the energy flowing throughout my body. Keep your focus on this energy. Keep on reminding yourself throughout the day that the more you think the more energy your losing. Focus on the inside of your body the energy that’s flowing throughout. Also I like to tell myself that thoughts come and go like a wave that rises and falls back into the ocean. Keep in mind that thoughts are going to keep coming but if you don’t entertain these thoughts and let them take you to an unwanted emotion then you will free yourself of anxiety. Also remind yourself that you dont need to get more out of every minute of the day. If you just keep your inner calm you will be getting so much more out of life. Hope some of this helps I may have just rambled alot but definately focusing on your internal system is a great way to start.

My anxiety comes from two sources. The first is unwanted and unpleasant thoughts. The second is from wanting to achieve more in a day than is possible. I’m in therapy for the second but the first…it’s a real challenge. It just takes over.

I did order the two items mentioned in the first post from amazon.

[QUOTE=davemchine;79663]My anxiety comes from two sources. The first is unwanted and unpleasant thoughts. The second is from wanting to achieve more in a day than is possible. I’m in therapy for the second but the first…it’s a real challenge. It just takes over.

I did order the two items mentioned in the first post from amazon.[/QUOTE]

Brain wave synchronization will help you to remove unwanted and unpleasant thoughts. I can give you a brainwave audio for free …try it out for few days.

see the video on youtube called "spiritual reality power of meditation’’, its a good begging guide any more doubts just ask me

[QUOTE=davemchine;79604]I suffer from severe anxiety and would like to start meditation in an effort to calm my mind. I have no idea where to start though. Thousands of video’s on youtube, an unlimited number of books and dvd’s on amazon, I just have no idea where to start. I am currently attending a Baptist church and although I am very open minded I don’t want to get into hard core Buddhist religion. Is there some technique I can use? I would really like a guided video or audio.

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave[/QUOTE]

To start, just find a quiet place and sit still with a straight back. Close your eyes and observe that space you call “my mind”.

In the morning find a secluded spot sit on the floor or ground close your eyes breathe in listen to the sound of your breathing in and out slowly thoughts come and go ,don’t hold onto them, try to make your mind like a still pond without ripples reflecting the outside world but not disturbed by it ,like most things practice make things it easier .imho
Cheers
Peace

[B]‘Trying to make your mind like’[/B], is a thought process. In meditation, you can only practice mistakes. Just observe. Period.

[QUOTE=kowtaaia;79952][B]‘Trying to make your mind like’[/B], is a thought process. In meditation, you can only practice mistakes. Just observe. Period.[/QUOTE]

Wording may be flawed but meaning is not it comes from an old Japanese saying

Mizu no Kokoro - A Mind Like Water

words cannot describe it. It is something that existed before there were words, before there was human speech.

Hi Dave,
I’m also of Christian background so I may understand your reservations towards getting too involved with Buddhist meditation. I think it may make more sense to you to use christian meditation and contemplation practices (especially I recommend Centering Prayer taught by Thomas Keating; http://www.contemplativeoutreach.org/ also check out his videos on youtube). If you are of Christian faith it may have more impact on you than yoga meditation.
Pawel

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave[/QUOTE]

Dave,

We are all born meditators, except we make a heap of adult responses of critical analysis, scrutiny, judgement, emotions, likes & dislikes and you name it. Why do you want to add another “technique” to the list? Not only as a technique it will remain outside of your own self, but if you see, your mind has already invited more debris when you want the technique customize for you - “not religious”, available as “guided video”, to deliver results without much for you to do.

You need to first start relating with your own inner self by watching your thoughts. In the process you will discover the obstacles to meditation. The discovery itself will kill half the obstacles. Them, without much ado, pick up any meditation and get going. Once in the process, you will fgure it out whch method suits you.

One of the curses of modern life is “self-diagnosis” and “self-medication”. Self-help through learning with videos does not bring any commitment, generates no feedback and leaves no room for mid-course correction. Meditation is no game or an exercise; it is a process leading to a delicate inner state. The skill needs to be patiently cultivated, the process needs to be executed with finnesse and the goal is not to be aware of either.

You people and your methods. :slight_smile:

Suhas, you’re saying two different things. You say watch thought and then pick a method. A method is a thought process that isn’t being watched.

Dave, don’t do anything with the mind. Just watch what it’s actually doing.

I appreciate that there are fine nuances and amazing things to be mastered but some of these responses are too advanced for someone like me who is looking to [I]start[/I] mediation.

Many thanks to those who have given practical advice on how to start this process. I plan to begin my journey very soon and then perhaps I can explore the more advanced aspects some day.

hello

I see there are many posts suggesting fast methods, cleansing, religion specific choices etc… bare in mind that meditation is not a yoga or Buddhism affiliated action, those have just popularized it in north america. It’s been practiced for many years by many cultures, including your own Lamentations 3:28 for example, just called by different names . The materials that YogaPrem suggested are quite lovely and a good place to start. Just don’t expect miracles or place too much pressure on yourself. It is very difficult to sit, hearing nothing but the sound of your own breathe. Start slowly, 2 minutes in the beginning, and build from there.
I lead meditation practices, if you run into troubles along your journey, please post again, or pm me, I would love to help you along this path.

[QUOTE=kowtaaia;79969]You people and your methods. :slight_smile:

Suhas, you’re saying two different things. You say watch thought and then pick a method. A method is a thought process that isn’t being watched.

Dave, don’t do anything with the mind. Just watch what it’s actually doing.[/QUOTE]

yes you right