Most relaxing form of Yoga?

Hi, I practice martial arts and lift weights and I’m thinking about getting into Yoga to improve my flexibility and for relaxation.
I don’t want to do a form of Yoga that’s too taxing, more for stretching, relaxation and re-energizing.
What form of Yoga would be suggested?
Thanks

I would recommend restorative type yoga. These would be relaxing poses that you hold for a longer period of time compared to flowing from posture to posture at a quick pace.

I always enjoy these classes, as I feel re-energized.
That’ s my opinion.

Namaste Yoganewb,

Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile:

Perhaps you can tell us what styles are available in your town and we can then make recommendations.

It doesn’t help I tell you to do Sivananda Yoga, and you think you like it just to find out it is not presented in your town by anybody. :slight_smile:

I’m in Montreal Canada, so there are ALOT of options.
So many in fact that I don’t know where to begin.
There is a Kripalu Yoga place near me but then again there are at least 10 places of about equal distance.
So I’m wondering if there is a certain kind of Yoga that is restorative, like Lexiyoga said.
Is there a kind of yoga that holds the poses and concentrates on developing breathing?
Thanks

Yin Yoga holds poses (restoratively, I think) for a loooong time, but I really don’t know much about it.

I [I]actually [/I]find more flexibility (and ultimate re-energizing & relaxation) from my yoga with a vinyasa flow (a more movement associated session) as it warms my body and opens it more when those stretchy poses come. I don’t necessarily mean anything tough like Ashtanga or Power Yoga, but a less taxing gentler vinyasa flow, if you can find something like that in a class title perhaps. Just my experience.

I am sure there are styles of yoga that would do better at relaxation but I do Martial Arts and I do Power Yoga and I am pretty darned relax when I am done and it has help my flexibility as well.

Then if you can find a Yin Yoga class, I will recommend that.

Some places will have classes called gentle, or restorative, I would reccommend leaning towards these. The classes I have taken by Kripalu trained teachers were always quite relaxing.

I Think your inner instinct with mentioning the Kripalu place is a great place to start. Try just going in there one day and talking to someone who works there, see what they suggest.

Most places will let you try one class before making you sign up for a bunch of classes. Trying the class will likely be the best indicator if it is the type of class you are looking for.

Good luck in finding the class right for you!

Since you are a yoga beginner, I strongly recommend searching out a basic beginner yoga class to you get strated. After you are initiated into basic yoga practice, you can incorporate your own home yoga study to supplement your martial-arts practice.

You may want to consider some Raha Yoga exercises for controlling mental and emotional states as well as developing concentration, which is key to success in martial arts practice, correct? You may also want to practice autogenic training to help you withstand intensive martial arts training. (Autogenic training was designed by a sports doctor. It’s an amalgamation of both yoga and hypnotic theory.) Here are some yoga poses that could help you and your study of martial arts:
The Cobra, the Bow, The Locust, the Twist, The Pigeon, the Modified Camel Posture, the Triangle, and Seated Forward Bend.

Good luck to you!
Holly Jennings

In this brief, we're going to explore the most relaxing form of yoga. For many individuals, their first encounter with yoga is a few classes at the local gym or health club. This is far from authentic yoga, but it's a good way to get started. Teachers are there to help you through each pose and hold the class at an easy-to-follow pace.

The more authentic approach is learning directly from a guru in private sessions called "yoga instruction." The guru will guide you through poses and breathing exercises. They'll also teach you about yourself and how your body works as you gain strength and flexibility in your muscles and joints.

This type of learning can be extremely beneficial for those who want to learn about themselves on a deeper level. It can also be helpful for those who already know how to perform certain poses but want to learn more about how their body responds to the stress these poses put on it.

ALSO YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT HOW YOU WANT TO FEEL. THAT IS GOOD VISION, NOW PERHAPS SINCE YOU KNOW HOW YOU WANT TO FEEL, CHECK THE qi-ki-chi OF THE DIFFERENT YOGAS AND SEE IF ANY OF THEM LINE UP AND FEEL RIGHT, AND THEN SEE IF TECHNIQUE WISE IT IS ALSO APPROPRIATE. I KNOW THAT YOU KNOW ALL THESE THINGS. Jus highlighting ! namaste