Multistyle - Yoga Teacher Training in India

We used to conduct one month [B]hatha yoga teacher training course in Rishikesh[/B] and realized that most of the students wanted to train more and get some teaching experience as well. That’s why we extended this TTC program by 2 more weeks (total 6 weeks - 300 hours) even though certification is for 200 hours only. In our TTC program, we give basic info about all styles of yoga but teach only Hatha Yoga. Here my role is marketing and promotions and I do it like a true yogi even though I don’t practice yoga.

Recently, I’ve come across various yoga centers which provide multistyle yoga training - ashtanga, vinyasa, power, iyengar, hatha etc. in 4 weeks time. I discussed this matter with our yoga teachers and they told me that lets not bother about what others were doing and rather focus on what could be improved in what we were doing. But it didn’t kill my curiosity.

My query: is it more beneficial for a prospective entry level yoga teachers to go for a multistyle teacher training as mentioned above or focus on a particular style?

Since our center is located in Rishikesh and cater mainly to international students, I’d prefer not to get guidance from local institutes or their affiliates.

If you believe in what you are teaching, then it is better to focus on teaching what you are knowledgeable in. You can introduce the students to the basics of these different schools, but if they want to study ashtanga or vinyasa or iyengar or power yoga, then they should go to those places and seek training from the teachers who have dedicated their lives to the study of those lineages. Most of those schools will have 200 hour, 500 hour, 2000 hour or even years of training to prepare their students to meet the standards to teach. If you are already teaching hatha yoga in your 200-300 hour course, there simply not enough time to give students the information they would need to teach other styles safely without compromising the training of hatha… and if you don’t have teachers on your campus who are qualified teacher-trainers in all of those lineages, then you are just giving [B]quantity[/B] information, but not [B]quality[/B] teaching. It is better that you should be great at one thing rather than mediocre at many small things. Advertising that you have more styles available may increase your students, but if you really want to make good teachers, invest the time into giving them a great foundation and working upwards.

Now… I have seen international students who study in India return home to the states and find that their teaching is not well accepted; not because they did not learn in any particular style, but because the transition between training in one culture and teaching in another is very difficult. Developing a curriculum which prepares foreign teachers adequately for teaching at home, while maintaining a connection to the great tradition of yoga, is something I feel a lot of Indian schools have trouble with. Do you have foreigners on your teaching team who give advice to your curriculum?

[QUOTE=suryadaya;71835]If you believe in what you are teaching, then it is better to focus on teaching what you are knowledgeable in…[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, Suryadaya. Excellent advice. I’m sure it’ll be quite helpful to lots of people including us.

We have foreigners as advisory board members and also as guest teachers (not full time though) and their contributions are quite valuable to us.

Please be our guest whenever you get to visit Rishikesh. Thanks again.

I am a Yoga teacher and practicing yoga last 10 years and coming regularly to rishikesh and did yoga practice in many schools.

I did not Agree with Surya and Active link that it is necessary to learn multistle of yoga from respective schools. It will be waist of time and money as in these styles philosophy, anatomy and physiology, teaching methodology are same just a sequence of asanas is different as in Ashtanga Vinyasa, Sivananda, and also it is like a lesson planning.

so for a series of asnas is not wise to spend extra money which you can learn in 200 hrs course.

and about the teaching staff at Active links school rishikesh yoga peeth main teacher is Rosan who was a receptionist at siva resort in 2007 as i seen and have not any diploma or digree in Yoga.

I have a talk with few of ttc student at rishikesh yoga peeth says program is like a retreat, they serve you nicely.

Yoga Teacher Training & Retreats in India at Yoga School - Rishikesh Yog Peeth (RYS 200, 500) :stuck_out_tongue:

(Source - TTC/Feb-Mar/2012) - Uniting people and spreading love & happiness.

[QUOTE=sticpau;71981]I am a Yoga teacher and practicing yoga last 10 years and coming regularly to rishikesh and did yoga practice in many schools. [/QUOTE]

Loved your “multistle” comments. Keep it up but don’t “waist” your time. Hope you have a genuine “digree” in yoga.

I know who you are and I’ll serve you nicely whenever I get an opportunity or whenever you call our names. I’m sure you’ll reply to this post with more service requests.

Namaste, ActiveLink!
I have just completed the ttc in Yog Peeth (Feb-Mar/2012). In the photo you posted are my lovely friends and great teachers, though I am missing there because I had to leave 2 hours earlier, before the picture was taken.
Just wanted to say that there was absolutely nothing I wish was different! Honestly, just perfect! And I can not wait to come to Yog Peeth again for the rys 500. Thank you!
hare om
Vera

[QUOTE=toksen;72624]Namaste, ActiveLink!
I have just completed the ttc in Yog Peeth (Feb-Mar/2012). In the photo you posted are my lovely friends and great teachers, though I am missing there because I had to leave 2 hours earlier, before the picture was taken.
Just wanted to say that there was absolutely nothing I wish was different! Honestly, just perfect! And I can not wait to come to Yog Peeth again for the rys 500. Thank you!
hare om
Vera[/QUOTE]

Namaste Vera

We’d love to see you again. You are now part of a wonderful yoga community and we all missed you while this pic was taken. Please check our comments posted on March 19, 2012 on Facebook:

“[B]Couple of beautiful people are missing in this pic but they will remain in our hearts forever. Thank you all for making this event a memorable one.[/B]”

Wish you all the best.

AL

Do you want to learn yoga from experts? we are at Arhanta yoga offers yoga teacher training online at an affordable price.

In this online course, you will learn everything we teach in the course at our ashram without leaving your home. You can watch the videos whenever you want, replay them as many times as you need.

Start your journey to become a certified yoga teacher with our Yoga Alliance accredited online 200-hour Hatha Yoga teacher certification course. With this course, you will develop all the necessary skills to start teaching yoga professionally. You will learn, how to instruct, adjust, correct, modify and structure a comprehensive yoga class. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an accredited certificate that enables you to start teaching yoga all over the world.