Muscle shivers/contractions during Yin Yoga

Hi,

I am a tense, stiff 41 year old man that started with yoga some years ago. In particular i love yin yoga, for the delightful softness that arrives in my mind and body after a session. After a year or so into my yin yoga practice i started getting these strange "pulses" going through my body during the long yin holds. In particular it is during the exhale phase i get these pulses, typicaly one pulse going through my body for each breathing cycle. The sensation is quite difficult to explain, but could maybe be described as warm waves flowing through my body, from head to toe, lasting maye 0,1 seconds. I can feel that my muscles contract when this happends. It is not painful or uncomfortabe in any way, but sometimes it steals my attention, so that i lie the waiting for it to happend.
But it is not bringing any problems to my yoga practise. Actually i can now bring these muscle pulses to life outside of the yoga studio just by starting to breath slowly and with calmness.

But, i really wonder about this phenomenon, noone else that i have asked have experienced this. I expect it to be related to the activation of my parasympatic nervoussystem, but thats just my wild speculation so far.
Have anyone else heard of similiar things during yin yoga?
Is it any place i could find more information about this weird thing going on in my body?

Muscle shivers or contractions during Yin Yoga practice can occur for various reasons. Here are some possible explanations:

1. Release of Tension: Yin Yoga involves holding passive poses for an extended period, targeting deep connective tissues and promoting relaxation. As you hold these poses, your muscles may release built-up tension and stress, resulting in involuntary muscle contractions or shivers.
  2. Activation of Fascia: Yin Yoga targets the fascia, a network of connective tissue that surrounds muscles, bones, and organs. As you hold poses and gently stretch the fascia, it can stimulate nerve endings and trigger muscle contractions or shivers.
  3. Neurological Response: The shivers or contractions you experience during Yin Yoga can be a neurological response to the stimulation of specific muscle groups or nerves. This response can vary from person to person and may be influenced by individual sensitivities and physiological factors.
  4. Energy Movement: Yin Yoga is often associated with the flow of energy, known as Qi or Prana, in the body. As energy moves through different channels or meridians, it can manifest as subtle movements or sensations, including muscle shivers or contractions.
  5. Emotional Release: Holding Yin Yoga poses for an extended time can create an opportunity for emotional release. Stored emotions and tension in the body may surface during the practice, leading to muscle contractions or shivers as a physical manifestation of the release process.

It's important to note that muscle shivers or contractions during Yin Yoga are generally harmless and may even indicate that the practice is effectively stimulating the body's energy and releasing tension. However, if you experience any pain or discomfort, it's advisable to modify the pose or come out of it gently to avoid strain or injury.

If muscle shivers or contractions persist or cause significant discomfort, it can be helpful to consult with a qualified yoga teacher or healthcare professional who can observe your practice and provide personalized guidance. They can offer suggestions for modifications, adjustments, or alternative approaches to support your experience in Yin Yoga.