Myasthenia Gravis

Dear Mukunda:

I recently started working with a client who has myasthenia gravis. This man is 52 years, and although he has had the disease since a child, he is newly diagnosis for about one year. His wife accompanies him, and she is, understandably very anxious. He is being treated with prednisone and has consequently gained twenty pounds. He has a great deal of swelling, and the additional weight has eliminated any natural flexibility he may have had. He is hoping to regain some flexibility and movement through yoga.

I used the Autogenic training, with healing imagery to soothe and calm the immune system, with some reference to the transmission of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. I also prescribed lavender essential oil for sleep problems. It works as an anti-inflammatory and calmative. The client is open to the work. He already meditates, and has a strong religious affiliation. On the other hand, he is a high-powered attorney. Any suggestions for an orientation for practice for this type of autoimmune disease would be appreciated.

Namaste, Elissa Rosch Integrative Yoga Strategies (IYS)
Please visit our Web site. www.iysyoga.com

A lengthy question – taking asparagus regularly can lessen need for prednisone, as it contains natural steroids. Optimal foods for his condition would be organic to lessen the tendency to react to hormones and so many other factors of diet that he will tend to be hypersensitive to. His condition needs to increase prana, which will balance the vata status of the condition he is facing.

For this pranayama is more important than Asana. Ideal is to teach simple wave motions of ujjaye as in my book. This should be accompanying all exercises he does. Pay more attention to getting him to have a fullness of breath than to doing the exercises just correctly. By getting more full body wave motion he will have more prana. Prana is the secret of all yogic healing not Asana (see Hatha Yoga Pradipika, chapter 5 on Ayurvedic perspective of Yoga Therapy which is only in Kaivalyadhama Institute edition, all other editions leave it out).

Meditation should be encouraged and increased especially with prayers custom designed that help him connect to Higher Power, as he understands God. This you can do only if you also are doing this. No yoga teacher can teach meditation or pranayama without a regular personal practice. It just won’t take in students, as there is an energy transmission that occurs from one who is regular in their personal sadhana.

Joint Freeing series, as it is the right motions for him to do regularly. Ideal is not to do neck rolls, they are not part of my series. These can stress the neck and displace cervical vertebrae. Also I take note of your use of word “prescribe” around essential oils. It is best to avoid this word it is for licensed health professionals only not for yoga teachers or yoga therapists. Use word recommend, as our work is more about lifestyle changes and not about substances that could be construed as medicines.