Nauli, how much is normal?

I do about 400 rotations every morning, it takes roughly 15 minutes and leaves me slightly out of breath for a minute or two afterwards. I’ve been doing this for about a month after having worked myself up to it. I don’t feel tired after it and there aren’t any pains or problems but still I think I may be overdoing it and I’ll probably back down a bit.

I don’t know why but I just think fewer and slower rotations can be a really good thing. It just feels that way. As it is now I have a tendency to rush things (because it gets kinda boring staring at your own navel for 15 minutes every morning) and the rotations aren’t always done as well as they should (quantity over quality).

My question about what would be a general guideline comes from reading basically two totally different recomendations. On the one hand there are those who say that you should do it a few times a week perhaps, maybe less than 50 rotations total. On the other hand there are those who say that 500 to 1000 rotations daily is what’s needed to really feel the effects of this kriya.

I’m the one who will have to find out for myself, I know that, but I’m just wondering what your reaction to the two very different recommendations are. I can honestly say that I don’t feel that I get more out of it now than I did when I was doing perhaps a little over 30 rotations.

I believe you answered your own question. You finished by saying that you don’t feel that you get more out of it now than you did when you were doing perhaps a little over 30 rotations. More isn’t always better. It’s hard to let go of that.

Everyone’s body is different. Your body is constantly telling you how it is, what it needs, what is enough and what is too much. Yoga presents a great opportunity to listen, and it takes time and focus to truly develop an intimate connection with your internal universe.

Asking others questions such as this can certainly be comforting and give you context, but try to avoid relying on it to guide you too much. Your body is your best guide…

For most things, that is… sometimes it doesn’t tell the truth :wink:

I was perhaps asking mostly to see if I was way out of line doing 400 rotations. I cut it down to less than 1/3 of that and it feels better for me. I’ll try that for a while and see.

More isn’t always better and everything isn’t for everyone just because you can do it. It took me a long time to let go accept that headstand is not for me, although my body was telling me loud and clear already form the beginning.

I’ve never had any problems with nauli, no discomfort, but why do 400 when much less will do? I’m way past the point when it was fun that I could actually do it.

I’m not doing it now. But I used to do in the morning about maybe 20 or 30. I think this is enough to give your gut a massage:)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

From my experience (I've been doing nauli every morning since 2007), a series of several static Madhyama Nauli seems to be as effective as the dynamic one, for some reason.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 10000 hours unless flagged)