Need books, inspiration

Hi fellow yogis,
I’ve had a fairly strong yoga practice (ashtanga, Anusara, vinyasa) for the last ten years and now, in my midtwenties, am coming up against a bit of a brick wall and wondering: What is the point of this yoga? What am I striving towards? Am I progressing? I seem to have forgotten what I come to yoga for besides a wonderful calm feeling and good workout. I’m in need of some inspiration. Can anyone recommend any books etc to help me deepen or refine my practice or give me new inspiration?

Namaste
Joanna

joanna,

What you’ve described is pretty common. We all hit that brick wall at some point. Don’t be too hard on yourself! I too came across this after practicing about 6-7 years. I always loved the calm and centered feeling yoga gave me, not to mention how much better physically I felt and looked. But I knew there was more to this ‘Yoga’ thing. On my way home from work, riding the bus listening to the news with my earbuds in, I heard an advertisement for a teacher training program and an afternoon retreat to discuss it. I immediately called and signed up to go. After the retreat, I knew my calling was being a teacher and sharing my love of yoga. But I also knew there was much more, spiritually speaking, I wanted to learn and understand about this precious gift. So I enrolled in teacher training and was amazed at how much I knew and didn’t know. I learned much about myself during this training, not to mention my love and appreciation for the Hindu culture and religion and Buddhism. I delved into every book I could get my hands on and studied anatomy on my own. (we did take anatomy in T.T., but I love the medical field and wanted to know much more)

Long story short, my spirituality was awakened through further study and finally this was the missing piece! And now I feel whole and can understand much more how beautiful yoga is. It has given my practice a whole new meaning.

Perhaps it is the same for you? When we stop and start questioning we come to a crossroads so to speak. We can choose to stay as we are or walk down a new path. When the quietness sets in our real growth begins. But it is up to you. what is it that you want out of your practice? Do you have an idea what that missing piece is for you? How can you build upon your practice? The answer will be different for each person.

I will suggest some books that inspired me.

Any book by Thich Nhat Hahn
Letting Go of The Person You Use To Be by Lama Surya Das
Any and all books by HH The Dalai Lama
Light On Yoga and Light On Pranayam by Iyengar
The Bhagavad Gita
Autobiography of a Yogi
The Heart of Yoga by Desikachar
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra

And joanna, I’m sure many will offer more helpful books and insights to assist you in your struggle. Just know that most of us have been where you are at. It is really a good place to be honest. The path before you is wide open!

Best of luck to you.

Im at a brick wall right now. I discoverd a yoga audio cd with Shiva Rea. I like the differance of only having my ears to rely on. I am free to stretch and move and close my eyes. Its a totally different experiance. I also switched from yin yoga to hard body yoga. I know that I am looking for more depth, but something with a more upbeat accent. Funny I also find this also by sitting still for 10 mins practce bringing my thoughts back and end by diving into something spiritual like Depok Chopra Pathway to love.

a book I’d recommend that I don’t see mentioned ever is Light on [B][I]Life[/I][/B] by Iyengar.

it’s his latest effort and kind of a great sumation of his lifelong experience. Really great stuff and to me at least, very inspirational.

It’s a yoga book , a philosophy book, a self-help book and much more.

Thank you, LotusGirl, That looks like a list! I need it to now…thanks

Pranayam (the real pranayam not the breathing exercises)
Introversion
Concentration / contemplation
samadhi

The important stuff - after health issues (if any) have been sorted out - is the above.

What are the goals for the above I must ask? They are pretty big now. Life changing. World changing. So what are they?