Need guidance during breathing exercise for throat tension

I bought an old school hatha yoga book on hatha yoga about how to do the sun salutation. There is a simple breathing exercise that I can do before or after the salutation. My throat tends to tense up when I exhale my breath. Just wanted to know if that is normal? And my shoulders starts to hurt when I inhale all the way (which makes sense, since I have weak shoulder joints, but there is a warm up exercise that the book suggests that will strengthen them over time. Some isometric ones).

Are you taking about Ujjayi Pranayama breathing ???

No. Just a simple pranayama. No hand techniques. Only lotus position and hands resting on knees. 4 second inhale, hold for 4 seconds, 12 second exhale, hold for 4 seconds and repeat. I also pull my stomach in when I exhale and I don’t know if my technique for that is right as well. I do it to build lung capacity so my body can function on less breathing, have more energy and recover faster, and sleep less. I always do it with a light air hunger, not strong, but light. I am in the process of learning lucid dreaming so I might be able to ask my subconsciousness for advice, but it is very hard. Even when I know I’m in a dream, my mind just accepts it and I don’t try to manipulate what I’m dreaming about. It wasn’t that way when I was a kid, when I loved to manipulate my dreams when I was aware I was in one.

it seems you are too much forcing (manipulating) yourself while exhalation. Unless you are practicing Pranayama, your breathing should be just natural while doing postures.

Pranayama has major role to play to improve pulmonary volumes and capacities. I would suggest practicing pranayama under expert guidance.

Please don’t follow books if you are totally new to yoga. Books will make sense when you becomes expert because by that time you know what to pick up from the book and what to avoid. If you are new to yoga then just focus on the basic postures first and as you progress, subtleties will be revealed.

Then maybe I will get an over the phone consultation. I also practice awareness of my body when I do it as well. Not just my breath, but every part part of me and even what my surroundings feel like. Every moment is a special moment while doing pranayama regardless if anything amazing happens or not. And I do intend to increase the length of the breath holds once I get more comfortable with the exercise.

It's probably a good idea to find a yoga instructor who can watch you and guide you through the practice.

The throat tension is entirely natural, but can be disturbing because it's something we don't normally experience. The idea is not to judge it, or try to get rid of it, but rather to accept it as part of the process, and let it happen.

If you find yourself straining in an effort to breathe deeply enough, you're probably doing too much; just relax and let your breath return to normal. It will continue to deepen naturally over time.

well then wats left is physical. yer throat is tight because it seems to be doing a lock.. a bandha. this is probably happening on a energetic guide level. probably necessary at this time. not unheard of. it helps the energies build up is wat I get. now if wish.. if guided.. to alleviate that a bit... put yer first and second fingers across yer center chest just under the clavicle level... and with only a nickels worth of pressure.. gently & slowly stretch that skin downward just about half inch.and hold 30 secs or whatever yer energy takes you. this will release some those energies and yer overall energies will relax a bit and balance nicely