Nerve pain throughout body

I had an injury 3 months ago; extreme pushing on my back by instructor while I was in Janushirsana. As a result, I have nerve pain down my back and legs and up into my arms. At this point, I can’t do any poses, and was told to completely stop Yoga. There is burning, jabbing, stinging pain that has interrupted sleep, and caused limited mobility in daily living. A physiatrist said my nerves were “inflamed” and to go home and rest. I’m considering seeing a neurologist to get a diagnosis; progress is extremely slow. My question is, do nerves “heal” and is it characterisically slow? Would chiropractic be recommended? At this point, only healing touch was recommended as even very mild stretches re-inflames my whole body. I look forward to your response.

I cannot tell you how often i hear of this. Worst is that the master teachers are teaching there students to do this. It is appalling that instructors in Yoga are not following the code of ethics and instead are causing injury. This is breaking the vow of nonviolence. Doctors must take this cost of ethics yogis should be required to do the same. True yogis will not cause harm for that is against the Yoga Sutras ethics see chapter 2, 30-46. I would run away from such a teacher with this reputation and urge others to do the same. Fine a sensitive teacher who understands anatomy and the Yoga Sutras.
I would suggest getting mild healing touch - any of the following that you can find polarity therapy, Reiki, Yuen method energetics (www.yuenmethod.com - frankly the best i have ever experienced) these are safe. Nerves will recover but in the meantime do only gentle backbends like cobra without effort of arms or locust. always extend that is elongate the spine before the pose and with coming out of pose.
Blessings on future yoga. Mukunda