New client

I am preparing for a first time visit with a new client who has several issues going on. I do feel I know what direction I’m going to take with her, but I always like to get your second opinion. She has stenosis in the foramen of T-12 and L-1, lots of lower back pain, and arthritis. She is a Jungian analyst/psychiatrist (!!). Personality seems to be quite driven. The stenosis is progressive. I believe twists and backbends are to be avoided, and that was is good are forward bends, hip opening, restoratives and breath work. What is your view on this?

My first recommendation is to put her on the Indra Devi arthritis diet for up to 10 days. People who do it for a minimum of 3 days get benefits. It is described in detail on the archive Q & A site – www.yogaforums.com – look under arthritis diet. As far as poses mostly think of what to avoid all else can be done with elongation of spinal column always stating pull the skull and shoulders away from pelvis and vice versa in motions like locust. The poses to avoid vary from client to client depending on where compression is occurring – in some forward bends are contraindicated in others backbends. Major training is tell for student to tell me what you feel and then teacher knowing anatomy and kinesiology of Asana will know if that is appropriate feeling response to posture. Ideal is to do vinyasa gentle style where all motions begin with breath and end with breath. This calms vata and restores ability of body to relax with increased parasympathetic reflex.